Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Stadiums are tax payer funded, for some reason, so that's fine with me. .
I'd agree with you, if not for the fact that so many cities turn to the TOBACCO USERS via "sin taxes" to build their stadiums in the first place, like in Cleveland for instance....

Latest cigarette tax increase burns smokers | cleveland.com

There's just something wrong about raising taxes on tobacco users to build and maintain a stadium and then telling them they aren't welcome to use it, not even in designated areas.

Not to mention that it sends a mixed message. On one hand, they're trying to brainwash the public in to not using tobacco by stigmatizing it's use, but on the other hand, they are relying on that very activity for revenue. Just more government hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 01:22 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I just heard the mayor of Boston banned fans from using or bringing chewing or smokeless tobacco to baseball games, and that San Francisco has a similar policy and Los Angles is considering it as well. WTF? Commie politicians and commie corporate sports teams are going to commie.
More government sanctioned social engineering. They want to brainwash you in to making the choices and decisions that THEY have deemed appropriate for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Maybe if they didn't feel the right to spit everywhere or leave a big dip in the urinal it wouldn't be a problem?
Maybe, but that's not why they're banning it. They're banning it to "de-normalize" and stigmatize the use of tobacco. In other words, brainwashing. Social engineering.

Same reason they banned the use of e-cigs in public; Not because it was unhealthy for the people around them, but because they didn't want to "renormalize the sight of smoking in public after spending so many years stigmatizing smokers"

That was how health officials in NYC and LA described the reasoning behind their ban on public use of e-cigs.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Ban, ban, ban. Coming again from the left. Because that's where it always comes from.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:51 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Mayor Marty of Boston is a recovering drunk....they tend to be over zealous about these things.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That progressive liberals have to meddle with and ruin everything. What does tobacco have to do with baseball? Nothing except libs want to tell people what they can and can't do at a ball game they paid for a ticket and taxes they paid to help fund the stadium.

Here in Cleveland the building of all 3 sports facilities were funded by the taxpayers of Cuyahoga County via a "sin tax" on cigarettes and alcohol! The irony here is they want smokers to fund their lavish stadiums, and yet you can't smoke in any of them! I don't live in Cuyahoga County so I don't pay the "sin tax," but as a smoker, why should I have to pay for their facilities, if I can't smoke in them?! What a racket!

Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I'm just curious.......does this apply to the players also? Seems a bit hypocritical if not and not likely to stand if so.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'd agree with you, if not for the fact that so many cities turn to the TOBACCO USERS via "sin taxes" to build their stadiums in the first place, like in Cleveland for instance....

Latest cigarette tax increase burns smokers | cleveland.com

There's just something wrong about raising taxes on tobacco users to build and maintain a stadium and then telling them they aren't welcome to use it, not even in designated areas.

Not to mention that it sends a mixed message. On one hand, they're trying to brainwash the public in to not using tobacco by stigmatizing it's use, but on the other hand, they are relying on that very activity for revenue. Just more government hypocrisy.

Oh there are designated areas. However; they're very limited. When I had Browns season tickets it used to be that you could smoke down by the concession stands. That has changed. I took my son along with my buddy and his son to a pre-season Browns game a few years ago, and there was only ONE designated area just outside of the stadium. Fortunately where we had our seats all we had to do is walk straight up the aisle, and straight out. Imagine if you had seats clear on the other side. I'm glad I can watch the games in the comfort of my own home, on my recliner. I can drink as much as I want, much cheaper too... I can eat cheaper, I can cuss as much as I want without having to worry about being thrown out (and being a Browns fan can cause one to erupt into some pretty colorful metaphors) and while I can't smoke in my house, my patio is right there.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:49 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I think you misunderstood what I meant, and upon rereading what I wrote, I doubt you were the only one, so let me clarify:

I was saying I'm ok with that mayor's decision to ban tobacco in the stadium, since the stadium is tax payer funded. The mayor has reasonable authority over it since the state government commissioned it.

I do not like that stadiums are tax payer funded. But if they are, I see no reason why the mayor can't say 'no' to certain things within.
I see that now. Thank you for the clarification

Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
It's 2015 - do people really still use dip? Gross.

Really can't imagine this would impact too many people at Fenway and it really shouldn't be acceptable at public parks. It was really gross walking past stinky loogies or Gatorade bottles filled with brown spit growing up playing youth league baseball and softball in the South where dip is far more common.

And because people are too lazy to cite their sources, Morning Updates: Fenway to soon be free of chewing tobacco and dip - Massachusetts news - Boston.com. It has only been proposed.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's 2015 - do people really still use dip? Gross.

Really can't imagine this would impact too many people at Fenway and it really shouldn't be acceptable at public parks. It was really gross walking past stinky loogies or Gatorade bottles filled with brown spit growing up playing youth league baseball and softball in the South where dip is far more common.

And because people are too lazy to cite their sources, Morning Updates: Fenway to soon be free of chewing tobacco and dip - Massachusetts news - Boston.com. It has only been proposed.

Do people still dip in 2015? Yep. This morning at the gas station when I stopped for coffee on the way to work a military guy in line in front of me bought 2 logs of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies