Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,178,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I want this black kid to think about knockout games and polar bear hunting. I want him to focus on set asides, quotas, extra points for "protected" minorities on admissions' exams, lowered expectations on standardized testing and the other abominations that come under "affirmative action." I want him to remember how the media ignores black-on-white violence or else buries it on the back page. I want him to recall the double-standard of the Obama-Holder justice dept. in the prosecution of interracial crimes. I'd like to hear his reactions.
What does any of that have to do with him, personally and who he wants to date?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:26 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,351,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
What does any of that have to do with him, personally and who he wants to date?
Or the fact that he probably doesn't even know this site exists and he'll never see that message.

Like you said, there's not enough facepalms in the world.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM

774 posts, read 746,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here you go - a blue eyed blonde.
That's not blonde. Just sayin.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:58 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,471,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Where are you from? As in where were you raised, and/or claim---where is the place that formed your views and ideas on life? What were your parents and relatives and the general community that raised you, what were their views on life?

Because your children definitely do not "look biracial", they look black. They are technically biracial, but there is nothing 'special' about that, the average black American has 24% European genes. 24%. Think about that for a moment, that's the average black American. So besides the fresh off the boat types who've been here less than 2 or 3 generations, ALL of us blacks are "biracial", even those of us with TWO black parents...
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/25...html?referrer=

The biggest question I have is why this matters to you? Why is it so important to you that your kids recognize that they 'aren't' black? Is being black some sort of lesser feature that doesn't deserve recognition? And why do you think you can speak on the black experience just because you have black children? I will say that if your children don't self-identify as black, that's their choice and I'm cool with that, but I sure don't see them as either white or "biracial"---because I already know that damn near every black is "biracial''. So we're still black...

I grew up with a grip of light skinned blacks who have two black parents, who were lighter in tone than some "mixed" kids I grew up with, who were definitely lighter or had lighter hair than your kids. They neither looked "biracial" nor self-identified as such. All black Americans are biracial, it really just depends on how recent the mixture is...

Knowledge is power. Your kids are good looking, though...

It has become much more en vogue for people to claim others from all sides as biracial these days; sort of reverse from the old days of the one drop rule, now you have some claiming people like certain celebrities who have just a smidget of non african blood to now be bi-racial just to make some sort of point to say that person isn't black. I recall having just that discussion with a few people on her about such a thing as they decided Jimi Hendrix was not longer a black man, he was now 1/4 of this, 1/4 or that and a little bit of this and that. By these claims there are very few few black people who couldn't lay some claim to being biracial and more and more some are doing just that. I'm not saying those who are born, distinctively different ethnic groups should be forced to identify with one, it just seems more and more who once had no identity issues have now made it such more so because they wish to not being associated in any way as black. Really, I'm starting to get confused just what makes someone black or not black these days, I spent a lot of time being called a white girl just based on how I spoke; seems some even use that criteria to categorize some of us.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Quote:
Where are you from? As in where were you raised, and/or claim---where is the place that formed your views and ideas on life? What were your parents and relatives and the general community that raised you, what were their views on life?
I'm from all over. My family is a military family. They raised me specifically NOT to be racist. I've explained this several times in this thread already.

Quote:
Because your children definitely do not "look biracial", they look black. They are technically biracial, but there is nothing 'special' about that, the average black American has 24% European genes. 24%. Think about that for a moment, that's the average black American.
Yawn. I've already given these statistics myself. Most AAs in the US are biracial or multiracial. And most of them look it to me.

And I never said or implied that my kids are "special." Since when is biracial "special?" They're just people - But they're only "special" to me because they are MY KIDS.

Quote:
So besides the fresh off the boat types who've been here less than 2 or 3 generations, ALL of us blacks are "biracial", even those of us with TWO black parents...
Yeah, I know. I've already pointed that out several times.

Quote:
The biggest question I have is why this matters to you? Why is it so important to you that your kids recognize that they 'aren't' black?
Sigh. Let me say this again, and maybe you should read it VERY SLOWLY in order to try to grasp this simple truth:

My kids ARE black. They are also white. All that's important to me is that they fully embrace and love ALL of who they are. And the only reason why I'm discussing this in detail now is because there's a lot of discussion on this thread about this topic, which interests me since it's an integral part of my family.

Quote:
Is being black some sort of lesser feature that doesn't deserve recognition?
Why should their white ancestry be pushed aside? Is it some sort of lesser feature that doesn't deserve recognition? I would never encourage them to ignore or downplay or dislike ANY aspect of their heritage.

Quote:
And why do you think you can speak on the black experience just because you have black children?
I am discussing - on a thread in which the discussion is black men having relationships with white women - my experience as a white woman marrying a black man and having biracial kids. I've lived this and this is the experience I am relating. Period.

Quote:
I will say that if your children don't self-identify as black, that's their choice and I'm cool with that, but I sure don't see them as either white or "biracial"---because I already know that damn near every black is "biracial''. So we're still black...
Tell you what - you self identify any way you like, and my kids will self identify as they like. You say you're black - I don't know you but I'll take your word for it. And my kids are black AND white - aka "biracial" - and you can believe it or not, call them that or not, but it won't make a bit of difference in how they see or identify themselves. Have at it, though, if it gratifies you in some way. Just don't expect them to EVER "check only one box" when asked to fill out forms regarding race.

Quote:
Your kids are good looking, though...
Thanks - I agree. They lucked up and got the best of both parents, which is what I think every parent hopes for.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingAtU2 View Post
If the average AA is 25% European than your children and grandchildren are AA using that criteria. Oops.
Yep. My kids are black and white. Both.

We don't ascribe to the Jim Crow "one drop rule" in my family. The statistics I presented were from people who SELF IDENTIFY as African American - which is, of course, their choice.

More and more people are self identifying as biracial or multiracial - because they are, and they know they are, and they identify with more than one ethnic group - which is understandable and their perogative.

Why is that so difficult for some people to grasp? Why should people who are raised in a multiracial family and who have multiracial heritage feel obligated to only identify with one group - when they identify with more than one group?

Why is it so important to some people on this thread that my biracial children be categorized ONLY as "black" when they are both black and white?

Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,570,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingAtU2 View Post
This will be my final post on this topic
This is the only part that you wrote in this thread that I actually want to up vote you on.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:37 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,180,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I want this black kid to think about knockout games and polar bear hunting. I want him to focus on set asides, quotas, extra points for "protected" minorities on admissions' exams, lowered expectations on standardized testing and the other abominations that come under "affirmative action." I want him to remember how the media ignores black-on-white violence or else buries it on the back page. I want him to recall the double-standard of the Obama-Holder justice dept. in the prosecution of interracial crimes. I'd like to hear his reactions.
And what does any of that have to do with him dating and how the fathers of the girls he dates treats him?

Old 08-13-2015, 09:50 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,178,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Or the fact that he probably doesn't even know this site exists and he'll never see that message.

Like you said, there's not enough facepalms in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
And what does any of that have to do with him dating and how the fathers of the girls he dates treats him?
It's just the typical deflection and justification for their archaic views and attitudes.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:11 AM

It's archaic to insist that people choose to identify with EITHER one ethnic group OR the other based solely on the color of their skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies