Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Your kids look like they have two black parents. I'd never assume they are biracial.
Interesting. I guess different people see people differently. They tell me that most people who meet them realize very quickly that they're biracial. I'm not exactly sure how people figure that out and I'm not sure they know either, but people put two and two together very quickly generally speaking. Of course, all of them have been labeled "black" off and on in their lives too - and we're fine with that, as long as no one is trying to force them (or me) to choose ONE race only.

I nearly came to blows with a really ******y little secretary at their school one time, because at the time you could only pick ONE racial category - the form was very specific. I just left it blank, since that was my modus operandum whenever a form said "CHOOSE ONE ONLY." Call it my little form of protest.

This was when I was registering my youngest for school, and the lobby was full of parents filling out forms with their kids. This little redneck girl calls me up to the front desk and says loudly, while chomping her gum, "YOU HAVE TO FILL OUT THIS SECTION." I said, "But it says I can only pick one racial designation and my son is biracial." She said, "THEN I GUESS YOU BETTER PICK ONE." I said, "I'm not going to choose between black or white on that form, since he's black AND white." She said, "BUT YOU HAVE TO." I looked long and hard at her and said, "Oh really? What are you going to do - hate me? What are you going to do - bar him from school? I'm not choosing one race or the other for my son." Then I just walked out. You should have seen her face. That next Monday, he was at school so I guess they figured out something to do about it, but I wasn't going to play their little game. It was a matter of principle.

Of course, most people we met when they were growing up assumed they were biracial because, well, because they were with their dad and me and he's black and I'm white and the kids are significantly lighter in skin tone than he is. So sort of a dead giveaway right there. Later, after he and I divorced, people still generally knew they were biracial whether they were with him or with me.

Oh well, it doesn't matter in the total scheme of things. They are very comfortable in their skin and with their identity. They embrace both ethnicities comfortably and are very open about this when the topic comes up. Of course, they don't go around wearing signs that say "Love me - I'm biracial" or anything like that, but many of their attitudes about life in general have been shaped by the fact that they come from a multiracial and diverse family which has always encouraged them to enjoy diversity and individualism.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedinho View Post
I have never understood why anybody would have any problem whatsoever with "interracial dating". It's perfectly normal just like "intra racial" dating so I don't get the issue some people have with it
The issue is that interracial dating can be used to commit genocide.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:58 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,351,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember someone on CD once stating that you shouldn't mix black and white races because it's the same as trying to mate dogs and cats.

It's beyond my ability to accept that people actually wake up, look at themselves in the mirror, punch their fist in the air and declare, "I'm gonna be as stupid as I possibly can be today!"

But it seems to be what happens. There's no other explanation than willful stupidity.
Had to bump this post.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:03 PM

73,061 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
It's unfair, but African Americans are certainly not the only ones with negative stereotypes associated with them....In many states on the West Coast Hispanics also have negative stereotypes associated with them (Violent, Crime Causing etc)......

Implicit bias/stereotypes for Blacks exist strongly on the East Coast and South....out West I would say they take 2nd place to Hispanics....
I live in the South and I do see prejudice against Blacks here. However, I would say that it exists everywhere, even the West Coast, for as much as I hate to admit that.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:19 PM

47 posts, read 34,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The issue is that interracial dating can be used to commit genocide.
Hmmmnnnn

Genocide of whom?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,259,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedinho View Post
Hmmmnnnn

Genocide of whom?

That poster is actually correct. I recall reading about how so many countries in south America urged mixed individuals to not identify as black and basically reinforced that being black was bad. As a result over time the black populations of several countries in South America have nearly disappeared. And despite so much intermarriage in these countries past histories, many of these places are still very racist against African descended people.

Blackout: How Argentina

Old 08-12-2015, 09:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yep. It's very fashionable to say that mixed race people are more attractive. But what's that even based on? It seems like a mantra that gets repeated and persists because it can't really be contested (if you're white) without running afoul of political correctness. But think about what it says to monoracial people of all races. For biracial people to be more attractive, it would necessarily mean that monoracial people are less so. Ironically, it runs afoul of political correctness when it insinuates that nonwhite monoracial people are less attractive than they would be if they were of partial European descent.

I think the media encourages the use of this mantra because its agenda includes increasing the frequency of interracial marriage.
Attractive people are made by parents contributing compatible characteristics*. Obviously, like with everything, some mixed people are very attractive. Some are not. And obviously, the same thing happens for non mixed people!

*Parental attractiveness can help or hurt. There is no correlation. Case in point: celebrity kids.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, because they're racially "mixed." DNA and genetics are fascinating. One of my daughters has three daughters and it's interesting to me that even though they are each 1/4 African American, one looks straight up Panamanian, one looks straight up African American, and one looks...well, multiracial.

I don't know your friends. All I know is that my kids tell me often that people generally are very curious about exactly what their racial heritage is and that for whatever reason, three of the four are usually immediately recognized as being biracial or multiracial, and one is occasionally. As I've stated several times now, they each have different coloring and features so they have had some interesting discussions with people over the years.
Sort of. The examples in my own family are let's just say, not that mixed. As in the last known and obvious non-white ancestor is from around 4-5 generations ago. My grandmother had 2 black parents. She was lighter than your children and has hazel eyes and barely wavy hair. My grandfather cannot find a non-black ancestor, and we have traced things back to about 1820 at the moment. My dad turned out to be your kids complexions. His siblings ranged from him to Michele Obama. Most of dad's first cousins resemble your children, some have "softer hair" and lighter complexion, and their heritage matches up with my dad's own.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
As a black man I would like to set that crazy kid straight.

We are considered the bottom of the world. Africa is very poor, black america is impoverished. Who respects poor/powerless people. We also live in a white supremacist world. Even black people think that light skinned people are more attractive, smarter etc. Blacks are universally seen as inferior. We are in no ways equal to whites.
I'd like to set you straight about "Africa."

There are dozens of countries, all in different phases of growth and prosperity.

Hiding the Real Africa - Columbia Journalism Review
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/op...rica.html?_r=0
TV’s forgotten continent: Why television refuses to depict the real Africa - Salon.com
'Africa is not a country': Students' campaign breaks down stereotypes - CNN.com

If you want to stay in the loop:
This is Africa

And a book that does a really good job of break-in down "african" and "african-american" is this one, with very sharp observations on Nigeria and the US.
http://www.amazon.com/Americanah-Chi...ords=africanah

Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,351,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's my daughter. I think it's pretty clear that she's biracial - unless of course you apply the old school, racist "one drop rule."

And here's my son - once again, pretty obvious he's biracial. Of course, to some people, all they can see is "one drop and they're automatically black" - whatever that means.

These people are biracial - and love being biracial. It really doesn't matter to them - or to me - what category some weirdos try to shove them into. They have a firm grasp on their own identity.

Yeah I know - they're good looking kids. I wish I could take all the credit but I can only take half.
Genetics are weird. I'm around your daughters complexion (maybe a shade darker) like this Aaliyah pic http://cdn.straightfromthea.com/wp-c...06/Aaliyah.png Reddish, brown/yellow, same slender nose & eyes.

My grandfathers supposedly a mulatto. I don't know if it's true, my uncles have looser hair, but they're darker skinned, but my mom was the lightest out of all of his kids with thicker hair.

Alot of my cousins are Black/Italian. They're a little more yellow with curly hair.

Like you said, genetics are indeed fascinating. I'm curious to see how my kids will look, but that's not happening for atleast another 7 years lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies