Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:50 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Whoah are you actually serious with this? Folks? is this poster serious with this?

I'm like a cow staring at a fence post in the rain. Absolutely befuddled.

You're pulling our leg, right?

Right?
"my sons a cop therefore I know" that line made my morning! I got a nice chuckle out of it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:15 PM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
"my sons a cop therefore I know" that line made my morning! I got a nice chuckle out of it lol.
hes worked in several different states, and we've discussed this on many occassions along with his friends that are cops....
what communities do, is, they don't turn in all the reports....so they are not on file...Philly did it and got caught....

I'm not going to go any further with this, b/c you know better....

Old 08-11-2015, 12:19 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
hes worked in several different states, and we've discussed this on many occassions along with his friends that are cops....
what communities do, is, they don't turn in all the reports....so they are not on file...Philly did it and got caught....

I'm not going to go any further with this, b/c you know better....

HAHAHAHAAHAHA, you are really making my day. You should be a comedian

Just wow...

Old 08-11-2015, 12:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Yes, the OP acts like she is an expert on crime due to her son being a cop. It is pretty funny IMO.

But in most major metropolitan areas crime has drastically fallen. That said, I do know that some departments actually don't turn in the correct numbers regarding arrest and crime rates as there have been investigations into this in quite a few cities. That said, even with the margin of error to include this occurrence, crime is down in the majority of the country. Even in Baltimore it is down when compared to the past 25 years worth of crime rates. They are up this year but the trend overall when compared to the past 10-20 years is that crime is less than it was.

To the OP, I think you just didn't pay attention to crime prior to your son being an officer. Also, as stated, the media didn't report on every single crime and strike as much fear into the populace about crime back in the day than it did today.

I am in my mid 30s and I remember lots of crime and drug addicts and gang activity when I was a kid and I'm not even from a large metropolitan area, just a mid-sized city. Our city is MUCH safer today than it was when I was a kid/teenager.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Yes, the OP acts like she is an expert on crime due to her son being a cop. It is pretty funny IMO.

But in most major metropolitan areas crime has drastically fallen. That said, I do know that some departments actually don't turn in the correct numbers regarding arrest and crime rates as there have been investigations into this in quite a few cities. That said, even with the margin of error to include this occurrence, crime is down in the majority of the country. Even in Baltimore it is down when compared to the past 25 years worth of crime rates. They are up this year but the trend overall when compared to the past 10-20 years is that crime is less than it was.

To the OP, I think you just didn't pay attention to crime prior to your son being an officer. Also, as stated, the media didn't report on every single crime and strike as much fear into the populace about crime back in the day than it did today.

I am in my mid 30s and I remember lots of crime and drug addicts and gang activity when I was a kid and I'm not even from a large metropolitan area, just a mid-sized city. Our city is MUCH safer today than it was when I was a kid/teenager.
well, thank you for being so much kinder with your reply, it's nice to know that some people are able to discuss the situation then mock others...for their beliefs....

Thanks much

Old 08-11-2015, 12:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
well, thank you for being so much kinder with your reply, it's nice to know that some people are able to discuss the situation then mock others...for their beliefs....

Thanks much
Its not mocking you for your belief, its mocking you because thats not a reliable method of determining crime rates overall.

And crime has fallen dramatically for a while, although I would expect that to slow down now. Theres a statistically valid correlation between removing the lead from gasoline, and decreased crime. Turns out that as was expected lead did bad things.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Baltimore Hits Grim Milestone of Year's 200th Homicide - Breitbart

I know for a fact, in Philly, there are gun shots every single day, up to 3 shootings a day, but crime is going down?

Right....so what do we do to get tough on crime.....?
Redfining terms is how obama creates and resolves 'problems'. Release low level criminals and illegal aliens not convicted of felonoies or incarcerated for drug charges.

Prosecutors have the perps plead down from felony charges just to move them thru the system and get a conviction for the political careers. Just like dem back teacher unions and administrators who pass kids along for their districts and their personal reputations.

Additionally crime is adjusted by using the terms incidence vs occurrence where several crimes are grouped and counted as one incident. Standard creative statistics in play.

Last edited by Kracer; 08-11-2015 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,797,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You need to go back to school lol... my son is a cop therefore he sees every city in America and knows better than crime statistics, do even know what a statistic is?
Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.

Many crime statistics are unreliable. In at least one nearby city property crimes aren't counted. The best crime statistics are for murder because there is a body. But even there fudging is possible by classifying it as manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, 1st degree, 2nd..etc.

For many cities 2015 is worse than recent history though. Maybe if the black lives matter people would drop it black lives would be safer again.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 AM

231 posts, read 213,482 times
All I know is that every morning on the local news there are numerous stories about a variety of crimes all over my city (Dallas-Ft Worth). Home invasions, ATM Smash and grabs, Murders, Attempted murders, etc. And those are just the ones that make headlines. And what about all the crime that goes unreported to law enforcement? It never ends and never will.

Fact is there are more people in gangs and living the 'thug life' that ever before - more criminals committing more crimes. Anyone who thinks that crime is down should spend a day or two in any of the numerous ghetto areas of town and see what happens there.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
All I know is that every morning on the local news there are numerous stories about a variety of crimes all over my city (Dallas-Ft Worth). Home invasions, ATM Smash and grabs, Murders, Attempted murders, etc. And those are just the ones that make headlines. And what about all the crime that goes unreported to law enforcement? It never ends and never will.

Fact is there are more people in gangs and living the 'thug life' that ever before - more criminals committing more crimes. Anyone who thinks that crime is down should spend a day or two in any of the numerous ghetto areas of town and see what happens there.
Thank you, I'm not going to argue with them, I watch the news, belong to several city online newspapers, etc...

what's ironic, are the reports, and then they say, crime is down....I know for a fact, crime is not down...but half the stuff that happens, doesn't even make the papers any longer. Every single day, on the morning news, there have been shootings in Philly....that doesn't account for tires being slashed, breakin's etc...

Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies