Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 06:24 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
So you're using one particular experience to judge othet black people.

Ok. I get it.

Blacks are the Borg. There is one giant black person in the room.

Blacks don't have individual personalities, but they all are the same no matter what. Great job.
What the man witnessed is accurate and true. You see there is really no way around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 06:31 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Funny post. I have worked with many a concrete crew and general contractor, many of which are black owned companies. Many of the hispanic companies don't do all that great of a job. There is a stereotype that they are "hard working" but IMO and experience in overseeing construction contracts I have had the most issues with predominantly hispanic crews. One of my best contractors said he loved them since he made a lot of money fixing their mistakes - he was a black general contractor.

You make a lot of generalizations with your post. I guess the thread is just another opportunity for you to speak of how one experience you had is representative of all black people in the country.

I have not seen a decrease in black small general contractors. If anything, I have seen an increase since the economic turnaround and I work in contracting/procurement and I issue contracts to various types of companies for various types of contracts including operations/maintenance related and capital construction.

I don't understand your reason for this post. For me it just shows that too many people believe what they see on TV and think that every media story about black people represents the lives and situations of all black people.

No one can "accuse" you of white privilege also. You just have it by nature of being white. The fact that you wrote this thread about "black dysfunction" and didn't speak about dysfunction in general or the fact that whites have just as much "dysfunction" as black people, is indicative that you view black people as inferior to you based on skin color alone.

I also am intrigued that you mentioned "Brer Bear." The stories stolen from black America by a white southern man. Interesting that you based your "positive" view on blacks from an upbringing of these stories alone and that you delved into media images and a book as the basis for your views on race.

Newsflash to you - black people overwhelmingly are not poor or "enraged" nor are we doing poorly in life based on some perceived lack of productivity. Your view and post is not based in the reality of boring old black life. Just because your parents read you Joel Chandler Harris and you watched some riots on the news 50 years apart (Watts an Ferguson) doesn't mean that either of those represents black people or a particular "dysfunction" that can only be associated with black people. I am black and have never been to LA/Watts or Ferguson or participated in any riot or worked at a hospital. You should learn in your later years that the stories you are still being showed are not the truth about 40 million people. There was recently a story where I live about a white man stabbing his whole family, killing one of them and the others are hanging onto life in ICU. I don't think that that family's dysfunction is your dysfunction it is their own. Watts' dysfunction is related to that area, not all black people. Ferguson's dysfunction IMO is not even representative of that community since many people traveled there from other places, I'm sure with the intent on causing issues last year and this year. I can think for myself in this regard and not have the media tell me that Ferguson is only about black people in Ferguson.

We all need to come out of our holes and put on our thinking caps.
It's just my perspective. You can dice it up, slice it up or word it up any way. The fact remains that this attitude extends to the POTUS. That was and is my point that somewhere along the line they became (in their own minds) unable to do wrong. BTW the same week that Prez sent representatives to meet with the Brown family, he failed to send a rep to a U.S. Generals' funeral. I really don't watch TV and when I do I see pictures of hordes of people closing down roads creating havoc. It Watts they took that beautiful hospital and treated it like their living room killing people because they did not want to work hard. I get it, it's NOT you. But they were all black and their arrogance and entitlement cost them dearly....and still is.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:49 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Funny post. I have worked with many a concrete crew and general contractor, many of which are black owned companies. Many of the hispanic companies don't do all that great of a job. There is a stereotype that they are "hard working" but IMO and experience in overseeing construction contracts I have had the most issues with predominantly hispanic crews. One of my best contractors said he loved them since he made a lot of money fixing their mistakes - he was a black general contractor.

You make a lot of generalizations with your post. I guess the thread is just another opportunity for you to speak of how one experience you had is representative of all black people in the country.

I have not seen a decrease in black small general contractors. If anything, I have seen an increase since the economic turnaround and I work in contracting/procurement and I issue contracts to various types of companies for various types of contracts including operations/maintenance related and capital construction.

I don't understand your reason for this post. For me it just shows that too many people believe what they see on TV and think that every media story about black people represents the lives and situations of all black people.

No one can "accuse" you of white privilege also. You just have it by nature of being white. The fact that you wrote this thread about "black dysfunction" and didn't speak about dysfunction in general or the fact that whites have just as much "dysfunction" as black people, is indicative that you view black people as inferior to you based on skin color alone.

I also am intrigued that you mentioned "Brer Bear." The stories stolen from black America by a white southern man. Interesting that you based your "positive" view on blacks from an upbringing of these stories alone and that you delved into media images and a book as the basis for your views on race.

Newsflash to you - black people overwhelmingly are not poor or "enraged" nor are we doing poorly in life based on some perceived lack of productivity. Your view and post is not based in the reality of boring old black life. Just because your parents read you Joel Chandler Harris and you watched some riots on the news 50 years apart (Watts an Ferguson) doesn't mean that either of those represents black people or a particular "dysfunction" that can only be associated with black people. I am black and have never been to LA/Watts or Ferguson or participated in any riot or worked at a hospital. You should learn in your later years that the stories you are still being showed are not the truth about 40 million people. There was recently a story where I live about a white man stabbing his whole family, killing one of them and the others are hanging onto life in ICU. I don't think that that family's dysfunction is your dysfunction it is their own. Watts' dysfunction is related to that area, not all black people. Ferguson's dysfunction IMO is not even representative of that community since many people traveled there from other places, I'm sure with the intent on causing issues last year and this year. I can think for myself in this regard and not have the media tell me that Ferguson is only about black people in Ferguson.

We all need to come out of our holes and put on our thinking caps.
I would like to see blacks like yourself speak against those that riot and steal and march for a lost cause because it is a lie of ''HANDS UP DON'T SHOOT''. I have not heard anyone speak . Is it because blacks are afraid of those blacks who are thugs ?

I don't see blacks standing up for the police officer falsely accused. Now if they don't, that is their bias against a white man and a bias against truth.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:01 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I guess it is only fair to challenge ones' perceptions and what we are raised with. My family from the South raised me on wonderful books about black people, Brer bear and wonderful stores. Never heard a mean word said about a black person so I approached many of the demands since the 60's with an open mind. After decades of watching the black narrative explode onto our streets and televisions I have been vividly impressed that while the majority of black people are hard working, there is a cult of dysfunction that is attempting to destroy America. Supported by a shameful president and an equally broken AG the myth or persecution continues. As I watch this I sense an impossibility in fixing it.

When Watts happened a new medical center was built. King Drew was built for the community to provide care to the local population. It had a medical school and more. A shining example of what community could do. Over the next 40 years the black administration, doctors and nurses drove it into the ground. Nurses showed up for work turned off patient alarms and slept. Politicians and administrators kept blaming others and eventually the hospital was closed by the Federal government for poor care. The LA Times won the Pulitzer for it's profile of the hospital. I was there at ground zero as a clinician trying to help out.

Since then. I have watched more closely. Mike Brown was a thug and a criminal who was killed in the act of trying to kill a police officer. Now Ferguson MO still walks around chanting "hands up don't shoot" as if that is real. The president sent representatives to his family which included his step father with his pants' round his knees spurring on chants of "burn the ***** down" and was never charged. The family filed a lawsuit despite the grand jury and the Federal Gov't finding no evidence of police misconduct....the the brave cop had to resign and cannot find a job as reported last week.

It's painful to know that a good man keeping the peace is punished for doing it. This is a scourge and a power play for control. I was heartened to see the arrests in Ferguson MO and cops treating these rioters like the wild animals which they are. Vicious and bent on something other than becoming a functional member of society.

So as I look down the road, the best thing which I can do is make the decision that so many others have made with a subtle eye to the man next to them, acknowledge that they are really lost children abandoned in a world by their missing fathers and pray for their awakening to the larger world. Life isn't easy. I used to joke with one of my closet friends who was black when he would accuse me of "white privilege" that when I was lost in my twenties and walking pavement day after day I was alone...and he was with his brothers. My path was ultimately productive as I kept my head down and worked every day, taking in valuable counsel and following it. Now the hill I stand on while small has a pretty good viewpoint.

If you are enraged be so. I am also about the senseless murders of young black men. Go to law school, go to medical school and make a difference be with it and it will be with you.

Peace. Out.
My son, who is a police officer speaks the same as you...he has often said, children coming from broken families, or from one parent that is on drugs and/or a drunk who doesn't care anything about their children...

I feel so badly for the cop who now is unable to get a job...and even worse, that there are so many people out there who feel entitled to break the law....and even worse, all those cops standing there allowing them to throw frozen bottles at them?????? I ponder what in the world is going on? What has happened to this country when thugs are praised and glorified, and used as an excuse to riot, loot....and even worse, when a criminals life is more important then law abiding citizens.

In Philly almost every day an innocent bystander is being shot, including kids, and yet, are people waking up and realizing it's in the culture....when will they stand on their own two feet and realize, kids need parents...responsible parents....?

This isn't a quick fix, it must be worked on, and stopped, it's like a spreading disease, infiltration humanity...

Old 08-12-2015, 07:04 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I would like to see blacks like yourself speak against those that riot and steal and march for a lost cause because it is a lie of ''HANDS UP DON'T SHOOT''. I have not heard anyone speak . Is it because blacks are afraid of those blacks who are thugs ?

I don't see blacks standing up for the police officer falsely accused. Now if they don't, that is their bias against a white man and a bias against truth.
Oh so many have, but they won't listen....what I'd like to see, is a whole lot of blacks marching for Law abiding people, and calling out these criminals...that is what its going to take...

When will it stop....Philly needs to get angry and stop it all....there have been many mothers who have lost their children to stray bullets....how much does it take?

We need to build more prisons and hold criminals accountable.....we need to help them understand, the only way out is to help themselves....not making them lazy, by giving them freebees, but actually teaching them how to get out....

I say this, b/c I came up extremely poor...hungry, hand me down cloths....but I worked since I was 13 years old...which kept me off the streets and out of trouble. I'm glad for the childhood experienced....made me stronger, better and work even harder.

If I can do it anyone can, but you need to want it bad....and you need to love the laws, humanity and life, as much as you love yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies