Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:50 PM

698 posts, read 588,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm curious as to how they can threaten jail time? When does a conflict with the HOA reach criminal levels?
I could be wrong, but I think the issue is that they built the playground on HOA owned common property. Constructing something on property you don't own and refusing to remove it could and should get you thrown in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 02:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I live in a Condo with a Association and apart from the usual restrictions, we also ban over night parking of trucks, campers, boats and any commercial vehicle so if you drive a cab you better find another place to park it after a busy work day. Our towing company charges a minimum fee of 80 dollars plus 80 dollars a day until you recover the vehicle. Plus you better have MD plates proper inspection and up to date registration stickers or Mr Hook will take that car too. Another is a prohibition on cooking or barbequing on a balcony or patio is your unit has one! I don't want my HVAC sucking in the smoke and having stink up my unit. Lastly you have to have proper clean curtins or drapes in every window , - no bed sheets, blankets, beer cans, rebel flags or having a bare window.

Some condo associations do not permit renters.

Some allow a percentage of renters.

And others let it rip. These units rarely qualify for financing and therefore tend to be absentee investor- owned. If the association is lax, it is more likely the place will, over time, trend ghetto, regardless of the race/ ethnicity of the unit occupants.

A serious issue is unit occupancy. Having all adult occupants on the lease is critical. Semi permanent overnight guests are not welcome. There are ratios/ number of occupants to bedrooms. And yeah, nothing says home like bedsheets hanging in the windows.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the issue is that they built the playground on HOA owned common property. Constructing something on property you don't own and refusing to remove it could and should get you thrown in jail.
Maybe. Maybe not.

If it was put on common property most associations would promptly remove it and bill / fine the owner.

Owners don't go to jail for unauthorized use of private common property.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
My wife and I looked at a house we really liked, in a quite nice neighborhood. We checked the CCRs, and found we could park our fifth wheel RV beside the house, no problem. Then I noticed that the CCRs forbid the parking of any truck over 3/4 ton overnight. At the time, I had a Dodge 3500 dually (a 1 ton, for those who don't know).
The house suddenly became totally worthless. The HOA and CCRs totally destroyed the property values for me.
We ultimately found a very nice house on a small acreage, in a very nice housing development with NO HOA, a short list of CCRs (which are unenforceable, with no HOA), and nice neighbors. I can target shoot in my back yard, and nobody cares. One neighbor shoots geese off his deck. Two neighbors have horses. My RV sits in the driveway all summer, ready to go at a moment's notice. Nobody cares if I drive my ATVs in the pasture, giving grandkids rides. I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, and I don't need anybody telling me what kind or size of antenna I can put up.
Actually, nobody cares WHAT I do on MY property, and I don't care what they do on THEIR property.
IMO, that is as it should be!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:00 PM

20,480 posts, read 12,404,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My wife and I looked at a house we really liked, in a quite nice neighborhood. We checked the CCRs, and found we could park our fifth wheel RV beside the house, no problem. Then I noticed that the CCRs forbid the parking of any truck over 3/4 ton overnight. At the time, I had a Dodge 3500 dually (a 1 ton, for those who don't know).
The house suddenly became totally worthless. The HOA and CCRs totally destroyed the property values for me.
We ultimately found a very nice house on a small acreage, in a very nice housing development with NO HOA, a short list of CCRs (which are unenforceable, with no HOA), and nice neighbors. I can target shoot in my back yard, and nobody cares. One neighbor shoots geese off his deck. Two neighbors have horses. My RV sits in the driveway all summer, ready to go at a moment's notice. Nobody cares if I drive my ATVs in the pasture, giving grandkids rides. I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, and I don't need anybody telling me what kind or size of antenna I can put up.
Actually, nobody cares WHAT I do on MY property, and I don't care what they do on THEIR property.
the Lord Bless you mighty good!

all the above is as it should be. I agree. I don't live in an HOA either terrible things!

by the way, I live in a suburb around Dallas, we do not live in an HOA and there are no cars parked up in peoples yards. There are no houses painted Donald Trump Suntan Orange.

s'all good.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM

Update:

Other media is reporting the backstory.

This silly saga began 3 years ago when the owners had the playground built without approval of the Architecture Committee/ Board. To make matters worse the color is outside the range allowed by the HOA.

The HOA is seeking a court order to compel the removal of the structure. If the court rules in favor of the HOA and the owners choose not to comply, they could be found in contempt.

These people bought into this HOA and in doing so agreed to abide by the rules. They chose not to do so. They are " special".

Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

You did the due diligence BEFORE you bought into an HOA that did not meet your needs

Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,915,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Common response to complainers is to get on the board. Easy for someone on a normal 9-5 Monday-Friday work schedule or a retiree who doesn't work at all. Not easy for a salary employee who works long and irregular hours or someone who works rotating shifts. Some people have more important things to do with their time off from work than to measure someone's grass height, report weed sighting, or spot something in the window that isn't white! Some go hunting, fishing, family trips, or work on personal hobbies. Much nicer things than digging into other people's business.
You are correct and that is why nobody does those things, you are a victim of way overblown old wives tales. Step into reality, it's a much nicer and friendly place...

Old 08-13-2015, 03:15 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,915,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
AGAIN, we have 1 incident and some go off half cocked ACCUSING EVERY HOA in America and want to be taken serious. Ain't gonna' happen.
There are a lot of posters with wild imaginations posting in here, a large % of these posts are purely BS....
The power of the keyboard cowboy...

Old 08-13-2015, 03:30 PM

674 posts, read 612,286 times
Something not really mentioned prominently in this thread so far is that I don't want to pay an HOA every month for the rest of my life. If someone wants me to pay them to tell me what I may and may not do with my own property, well, I already have city ordinances that do that. I've seen HOA fees that run from $200 to $600 per month, and that's unacceptable to me. I also don't want another level of intrusiveness, especially since I tend to like my neighborhood to have a bit more variety and character. I'm the type who enjoys completely overhauling my yard whenever I get a new idea, so needing to get approval for everything would be a pain.

Of course, that all just means I didn't buy my house in a place with an HOA. Some people have other priorities, and that's their right. I'm okay with that as long as I'm able to have my own preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies