Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:32 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,114 times

Advertisements

Why engage in pretenses? I just buy them booze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 06:08 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I used to buy them food and feel like I'm some kind of a hero. Of course, I'm not stupid and I knew that money is fungible. If others give them cash (and they do) then they don't have to spend cash on food and have more cash to buy drugs (and make no mistake alcohol is also a drug). So they're not directly buying drugs with my cash... but indirectly they are.

So I'm thinking to stop and save my money or find more worthy causes to donate to.

What do you guys think?
No, I never do.

If they are hungry, there are soup kitchens they can go to. I will not reward laziness.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:12 PM

15,630 posts, read 10,385,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
[snip] I just buy them booze.
Do you, really? What do you buy for them?

Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Yeah guys, I think I'm done. I have a good heart but I refuse to be a dummy and finance their recreational drug use directly or indirectly. And like many here have pointed out almost everywhere there are plenty of social services for them including those that absolutely ensure they won't die from hunger. I wish I thought about this rationally earlier.
Donate to appropriate services which can help them, but they need to be in shelters getting services.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:45 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Do you, really? What do you buy for them?
Wild Irish rose.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Yeah save your money. If you're concerned go volunteer at a shelter where they feed, clothe, provide sleeping quarters for the homeless. And...to make it realy count don't go on the glamour days, i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year Eve, etc. Go on an off day you get a better experience that way.

Sit down and eat with them too. Really opens your eyes (and not in a good way either).

Double check any charities that you give money to.
I once asked a friend of mine who is always volunteering at shelters etc about volunteering on Thanksgiving. She told me everybody wants to do it during the Holidays. It's better to go on and off day as you say. That's when they need you.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,513 times
Quote:
I used to buy them food and feel like I'm some kind of a hero. Of course, I'm not stupid and I knew that money is fungible. If others give them cash (and they do) then they don't have to spend cash on food and have more cash to buy drugs (and make no mistake alcohol is also a drug). So they're not directly buying drugs with my cash... but indirectly they are.

So I'm thinking to stop and save my money or find more worthy causes to donate to.

What do you guys think?
Most of these people are grifters, substance abusers, or mentally ill. Donate to someone like the Salvation Army that actually does something constructive with them. Never enable their panhandling behavior.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
I just give them the money if that's what they ask for. What they do with it is their business. If they want dope or booze, why should I care if that gives them temporary comfort.

If they want food, then I'll give'em food. I don't make a big deal of it either way. If I give it, I give it from the heart and I wouldn't do it if I couldn't afford it.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:51 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Most of these people are grifters, substance abusers, or mentally ill. Donate to someone like the Salvation Army that actually does something constructive with them. Never enable their panhandling behavior.
I find it offensive that you are grouping the mentally ill in with grifters.

Nobody wakes up one day and decides they would really like to have schizophrenia, depression, or PTSD.

They closed all the asylums. Now we house our mentally ill on the street. I'd need a fricken beer if I had to live on the street, too. You sound like a typical " I got mine " kind of callous person.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I just give them the money if that's what they ask for. What they do with it is their business. If they want dope or booze, why should I care if that gives them temporary comfort.

If they want food, then I'll give'em food. I don't make a big deal of it either way. If I give it, I give it from the heart and I wouldn't do it if I couldn't afford it.
That's really cool. My mom once told me ( they live in Sweden ) some older guy had a sign saying something like " please, I need money for a beer".
I mean, at least he was honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies