Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I know one can purchase pizza and cooked food at convenience stores. Thats what the signs say anyway.
Apparently, the standard is that prepared food can be purchased, as long as the food is not consumed on the premises. IME, quite a lot of food purchased at convenience stores, whether or not with food stamps, is wolfed down in the parking lot. Obviously, the standard is meant to prevent food stamps from being used to pay for restaurant meals, and here we are in a gray area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 08:00 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
I know one can purchase pizza and cooked food at convenience stores. Thats what the signs say anyway.
Not if it's hot. The system won't allow it to go through.

Also worth knowing is that the EBT card has 2 functions. One is your SNAP food benefit amount the other is "cash" the cash can be from a number of sources such as income assistance. But it's biggest use is by the court system for child support. If you have a parent who is getting their wages garnished so that you get the child support that money comes to you through your EBT card which you can use just like a debit card, at an atm or any store.

My point being just because someone is using an EBT card doesn't automatically mean they are using food stamps. There are people not on food stamps who have an EBT card for the other benefits.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
There are take & bake pizza places around here that proudly display "We accept EBT" in their windows. Nice little loophole -- the oven the pizza comes out of determines wether the government will buy it for you or not.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:34 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times
Food Stamps should be monitored much more closely. This will not only decrease the number of people milking the system, but it would also cutback childhood obesity.

When I was grocery shopping at a store in Maryland, a woman in front of me was using her Food Stamp / SNAP card. She was trying to purchase fast-food from the hot bar & the cash register wouldn't allow it to be paid for with her card. The woman was very angry with the cashier because she had to use cash for the Soda's and Hot-bar meals. She was getting very loud & cursing at the cashier telling her "she's not using her cash & it better get charged to her SNAP card". The manager had to calm the woman down in front of her kids. I felt sorry for that poor cashier.

That's why all the states in the US should have systems like this, where your food purchase are closely monitored and your fast-food purchases are declined by your SNAP card!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
There are take & bake pizza places around here that proudly display "We accept EBT" in their windows. Nice little loophole -- the oven the pizza comes out of determines wether the government will buy it for you or not.
As I said in an earlier post the EBT CARD has 2 functions. One for food stamps, one for cash. If a place accepts EBT it means they take the cash side of he EBT card. It does NOT mean that the pizza place accepts food stamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Food Stamps should be monitored much more closely. This will not only decrease the number of people milking the system, but it would also cutback childhood obesity.

When I was grocery shopping at a store in Maryland, a woman in front of me was using her Food Stamp / SNAP card. She was trying to purchase fast-food from the hot bar & the cash register wouldn't allow it to be paid for with her card. The woman was very angry with the cashier because she had to use cash for the Soda's and Hot-bar meals. She was getting very loud & cursing at the cashier telling her "she's not using her cash & it better get charged to her SNAP card". The manager had to calm the woman down in front of her kids. I felt sorry for that poor cashier.

That's why all the states in the US should have systems like this, where your food purchase are closely monitored and your fast-food purchases are declined by your SNAP card!
All states do have this system. It works just like you saw happen in the store. The card will not allow you to pay for hot food or non-food items.

If my total is $60 but $20 of that is a hot chicken and toilet paper, the food stamp benefits will only cover the $40 worth of food.

It's a much better system than before, but obviously in no way perfect.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Fast food is not covered by the SNAP program. The only exception being a program in California where homeless people can buy prepared foods because they have nowhere to cook/store foods.

I'm so sick of people who scream foul about the food stamps program but actually know nothing about it. Especially when they argue about things that are 100% wrong and untrue.

If you don't like food stamps or agree with the program that's your choice, but please educate yourself first so you are informed of what you're complaining about.
Fast Food Chains Getting Into the Food Stamp Act - ABC News

Old 09-01-2015, 01:50 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Not if it's hot. The system won't allow it to go through.

Also worth knowing is that the EBT card has 2 functions. One is your SNAP food benefit amount the other is "cash" the cash can be from a number of sources such as income assistance. But it's biggest use is by the court system for child support. If you have a parent who is getting their wages garnished so that you get the child support that money comes to you through your EBT card which you can use just like a debit card, at an atm or any store.

My point being just because someone is using an EBT card doesn't automatically mean they are using food stamps. There are people not on food stamps who have an EBT card for the other benefits.
This is true. I'm not sure why they would put signs up saying they accept EBT for food if it can be purchased with the cash benefits on EBT anyway. I remember for awhile the signs were down and it was we no longer can accept EBT, then the signs went up again. IDK.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:54 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Please, childhood obesity. Activity levels have much to do with obesity rates and people who are going to eat crap are going to eat crap regardless of FS.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:38 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Please, childhood obesity. Activity levels have much to do with obesity rates and people who are going to eat crap are going to eat crap regardless of FS.
And crap food is cheaper than healthy food.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:05 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
In the state of PA food stamps that r issued to the homeless allow them to buy hot cooked food in convenience stores but, not to those who have an address. Not everyone on food stamps can buy cooked food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies