Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Thank God Obama is focused on important things.
- i.e. any topic i don't have a reason to disagree with, nothing useful to say, so I'll imply he is "wasting time" even though I have no clue how this happened/proposed/or how much actual time it took

my guess, like a meeting maybe 15 -30 minutes. Here is our proposal, and here why.

Obama "Oh sounds good -fits with xyz"

the end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If Boehner and Ohioans love Mckinley so much they can name Ohio's tallest hill after him.
Haha, exactly! Does anyone in Ohio really care what the mountain in Alaska is named? The Alaskan's themselves should be responsible for the name and they all call it Denali.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Thank God Obama is focused on important things.
TRANSLATION: Obama did it; I have to complain.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:09 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Well, as someone who grew up in the Canton area, (where McKinley began his political career) and now lives in Youngstown, (near Niles, where McKinley was born--I even had a significant role in designing a re-creation of his birthplace home) I have no problem with giving the mountain its original name back.

Most people who are griping about this seem to be doing so because of one or a combination of the following: a. Obama, or b. it's seen as a change to be more politically correct. We all know how much conservatives hate these things these days.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
BTW conservatives in Alaska wanted the name changed as well. Why does everything on this message board have to fall into the your team vs. my team mentality? That attitude is killing our nation quicker than anything else.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, this action is in keeping with Obama's view of himself as a dictator. Every president can come into office and start renaming mountains to suit themselves, cool huh.
Oh come on.

The state of Alaska itself made this name change internally about 20 years ago, and has been asking for the feds to follow suit ever since. After all, why should one of the most prominent features in Alaska have its name changed to reflect a president who never even set foot in Alaska? If Ohio wants the name of an Ohio-born president on the landscape, they can find a feature in their own landscape to rename.

I doubt Obama himself spent as much even 5 minutes on this issue. Some staffers decided it was time, for whatever reason, and it got passed on up to him.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
That should bring up his poll numbers.......why not tell the people to vote on it or is this a problem for President Obama to let the people decide?

I think it should be the people, not some President who walks in for a one day "cheers and smiles" to make a change. Just like healthcare, Obama walked in a screwed most of us out of what reasonable insurance we had. Yet, those who had no skin in the game, got better healthcare than those of us who work every day.

A President should never be allowed to just pass what they want.......is this what you REALLY approve of?
The people already changed the name back to what it was originally, about 20 years ago - the people of Alaska that is.

You got a problem with it? Take it up with the folks in Alaska.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:16 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The people already changed the name back to what it was originally, about 20 years ago - the people of Alaska that is.

You got a problem with it? Take it up with the folks in Alaska.
It's a national park and federal land - Alaska has very little standing. While we might choose to consider their wishes, they carry no more weight than those of the people in Ohio.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
OK then I suppose we'll need to rename Mt. St. Helens, Lawalaclough, and Mt Adams, Pahto.
Mt. St. Helens is actually Loowit as everyone knows. And Mt. Adams is Klickitat. Yes, I think they ought to be called by their rightful names. So I do.

Native American Myths

Old 08-31-2015, 02:17 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, this action is in keeping with Obama's view of himself as a dictator. Every president can come into office and start renaming mountains to suit themselves, cool huh.
STATE'S RIGHTS, STATE'S RIGHTS, STATE'S RIGHTS.........wait what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies