Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I didn't say it was Bush's fault. .. and to be honest, I dont know what caused it on LI. Since I am nte next generation starting a family here I can only pay attention to what is going on NOW.. as i am an adult now and have stake in the matter.

I only hear the republicans wanting to keep the tax cuts Bush initiated for the rich, when they didn't do what thy were intended to do and it shifts the burden to the middle clasee.

LI only came into the equation because someone seems to think that because I live in Levittown I'm weatlhy.. couldn't be further from the truth.

The "tax cuts for the rich" mantra is a fallacy driven by the Democrats. Rich people to them are those that are dual income households making over $80,000 collectively. They don't realize that these incomes were attained only because of hard work and/or going to college. I make a nice salary due to my graduate degree. I got this graduate degree only because I took out student loans. My wife and I will be paying $650 a month for the next 20 years. I'm not complaining because without these loans, I wouldn't make the money I am now and wouldn't have the opportunities I have now so it was well worth the investment. If I can do it, so can everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
Had to turn the TV........before I puked all over it or smashed it to pieces!

What a JOKE of a speech and major insult on the PEOPLE!

NOT surprised though!

DON'T LIKE ANY of the candidates running to take GW's place either!

NONE of 'em!

Feel very DOOMED as an American!
Why don't you move? If I felt doomed in my domicile I would.

Oh, and by the way, I thought it was a good SU.

Not trying to be rude, just curious.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Our cost of living on LI is insane!! I'm not evenmaking enough money to coverm y living expenses.. and i live in a small house on a cement slab that has an EIK, LR 4 BR's and 2 bathrooms.. LR and Ktichen kind of flow and are one big room .. actually my square footage is probably like 1100.. AND i pay over $6000K a year in property taxes.. this house cost me $400K asa FIXER UPPER. I DO NOT consider myself WEALTHY.. I consider myself middle class and my income is around the $70K mark.
Sounds to me like you need to move. I have a 4500 sq ft home - property taxes just a little over $1,000 a year. Cost to build is in the high 6 figures

Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sounds to me like you need to move. I have a 4500 sq ft home - property taxes just a little over $1,000 a year. Cost to build is in the high 6 figures
I wish we had those taxes up here

Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
The "tax cuts for the rich" mantra is a fallacy driven by the Democrats. Rich people to them are those that are dual income households making over $80,000 collectively. They don't realize that these incomes were attained only because of hard work and/or going to college. I make a nice salary due to my graduate degree. I got this graduate degree only because I took out student loans. My wife and I will be paying $650 a month for the next 20 years. I'm not complaining because without these loans, I wouldn't make the money I am now and wouldn't have the opportunities I have now so it was well worth the investment. If I can do it, so can everyone else.

You're speaking for all Democrats now?

This Democrat , when referring to the "the rich" who received the tax cuts refers to those making over 1 million a year....the upper 2%.. who got the big tax cuts.

If you only make $80,000 you are not in the top 2%.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm working onthat.. which is what brought me to this whole city-data.com forum to begin with.

but for now I'm trapped!! Ironically by the high cost of living

Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
I'm working onthat.. which is what brought me to this whole city-data.com forum to begin with.

Then, you need to make your high-spending Democrat representatives accountable by not reelecting them. Instead find a fiscal conservative to support who will lower your taxes, AND the taxes of those "rich people" who create the jobs.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Well darn it! I would have tolerated it if I knew there was drinking involved.
All the applause before the monkey had finished his act while his handler Cheney smirked in the background was too much for me.
Very funny I would have liked a drink every time he said "empower". I would have been drunk long before the speech was over. Must confess, I didn't stay till the end, though, got real tired of hearing what he wants in instead of talking about what he did. Aside from starting a war, and ruining education, and grinning like a baboon into the camera, I dont' see what else he did

Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:

I understand completly what you are going through.
I have read your posts on this thread and I couldn't agree more.

When people get up in the morning, take their shower and use shampoo on their hair, they don't even think about how it is safe and why< thank a liberal for fighting to make sure there are regulations for making that shampoo safe.

When they are driving to work in their car on the highway< thank a liberal for fighting to make sure the auto industry has rules to follow to make cars safe.
Thank a liberal for fighting to make sure the highway is safe.

When they get to their job and enjoy their 8 hr workday with healthcare,vacations, family medical leave < thank a liberal for creating unions to make sure we can take care of ourselves and spend time with our familys.

When they drive home at night they can turn on their rightwing radio station and hear about the bad liberals and how all the dems want is tax hikes.
They agree
Sometimes it is just so frustrating and hard to make someone else see your point of view that often it is easier to just let them sound off and believe what they want.
The state of the union speech was all Bush telling what HE wants to do and what HE thinks should be done, again. No surprises
1 more year to go.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
The state of the union speech was all Bush telling what HE wants to do and what HE thinks should be done, again. No surprises
1 more year to go.
Geez, thats sounds a lot like every presidential candidates commercial. I will get a tax cut for the middle-class, I will get you universal healthcare, I'll walk on water, blah..blah..blah. Yep, one more year to go and then you're going to be hearing the same old song and dance from the next POTUS..

One more year....haha...Don't kid yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies