Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Ive been noticing a lot of Iraqi Freedom / Afghanistan vets with missing limbs, disfigurement, blinded, in public and some wear ball caps with Iraqi Freedom veteran on the front.

Has the war in Iraq / Afghanistan become an unpopular war? kind of like VN

since there really hasnt been any Victory? they still have problems as soon as the US forces left the country.

reminds me of when the PAVN rolled into Saigon in 1975 after US forces went home.
Back when both Afghanistan and the larger commitment in Iraq was going on simultaneously in fiction Afghanistan veterans tended to be hero characters while Iraq veterans were villains. Now all characters tend to be Afghanistan veterans since the longer period in country allows for a greater age range for the actors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 10:02 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
People I see, all over in my travels, are saying "thank you for your service" to vet caps, everywhere I go. I have Navy cap I wear, and have to tell folks I'm not a military vet. I'm a civilian contractor. THAT has gotten me some looks. Contractor is a dirty word. Felt like adding " no not Blackwater" once or twice. Not all "contractors" are combat/intell. types. Though we are no less proud to have supported them that are. They have a rougher job than us. They had to watch out for us as we tried to "improve the people's existense". As it were.

Running water and all. I would see "contractors" far less disrespected. OK..fine...they're "mercenaries". But they do their job, same as a Marine or Army type. Most are former service. Its a job. One I came to appreciate. Not one I'd care for. A non combatant role, is hard enough. These guys babysat us, as we did work that is just routine, pick up the phone and call, here at home. In some places, calling maintenance has a LOT more involved than just a leak.

I would see "contractors" less...frowned upon.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
We will continue to send young men and women into wars they cannot possibly win because we have half of America trained to cheer whenever politicians start talking about war.

If a Republican were to win the White House in 2016, and in 2017 gave an order to send military troops into Iran, over half of the people on this forum would bellow it's long overdue and should have happened decades ago.

And yet the outcome would be the same as Iraq, and these same people would sit in front of their computers and somehow try and blame Democrats for a war the party they blindly follow started. Not a single Republican has been held accountable for lying this country into a war of aggression against Iraq. Not one. Every politician knows this and has no worries about lying to start a war, regardless of how it turns out.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:15 PM

430 posts, read 639,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
We will continue to send young men and women into wars they cannot possibly win because we have half of America trained to cheer whenever politicians start talking about war.

If a Republican were to win the White House in 2016, and in 2017 gave an order to send military troops into Iran, over half of the people on this forum would bellow it's long overdue and should have happened decades ago.

And yet the outcome would be the same as Iraq, and these same people would sit in front of their computers and somehow try and blame Democrats for a war the party they blindly follow started. Not a single Republican has been held accountable for lying this country into a war of aggression against Iraq. Not one. Every politician knows this and has no worries about lying to start a war, regardless of how it turns out.
The root of the problem IMO is the idea that the military "fights for our freedom". If you oppose a war then you must oppose freedom. Common sense tells you that Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, and Iraq have nothing to do with our freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies