Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:59 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times

Advertisements

My son's pediatrician gave us a 40 percent discount for paying cash. As she explained, even with the discount it was more than she'd receive from Medicaid and some insurance payments PLUS it meant she got the fee paid immediately and didn't have to wait. Makes sense and I was very grateful!

But my rheumatologist will not give any sort of discount for cash. I've asked, and it's $200 firm. I wouldn't mind so much if he was an exceptional doctor and spent a lot of time examining me and reviewing my status and options but he's not in the room for 10 minutes! LOL, I've decided if he's going to charge big-city prices, I might as well go to a big-city doctor who's tops in the field!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Quote:
Sounds like you're stating that as fact. Source?

Erlichman-Nixon and the HMO's - SurfTalk

Haven't you read/heard this convo before? It can't be just me....

Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Erlichman-Nixon and the HMO's - SurfTalk

Haven't you read/heard this convo before? It can't be just me....
I'm sorry but, reliance on a blog / bulletin board post is not, IMO, credible evidence of anything.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
My son's pediatrician gave us a 40 percent discount for paying cash. As she explained, even with the discount it was more than she'd receive from Medicaid and some insurance payments PLUS it meant she got the fee paid immediately and didn't have to wait. Makes sense and I was very grateful!
I am 100% against universal healthcare but I'd be a fool to say our system does not have some major problems. As mentioned above, doctors are growing tired of jumping through hoops for the carriers and they are more than happy to deal with customers on a cash basis. The amount of time it takes to process a claim, bill the carrier and ultimate collect the payment takes a huge portion of the doctors profits. Why not cut out the middle man and deal directly with the patient? The carriers really need to find a way to cut through the red tape and streamline operations. Not only would this benefit the patient and doctors, it would probably result in increased profits for the carriers.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yeah.. my choices are this
I have a small busines.. really just run by me and my husband. Doesn't really qualify as an insurable "business" because I don't have employees! So.. I have a choice.. either lie and make up that I have employees so that i can pay almost $800/month to cover me and my son (and not my husband because the "family plan" is well over $1000 and we can not afford it). OR.. I DON'T lie and buy it privately and pay over $1000 for just me and my son.

Sure..I can have a choice of paying less.. like maybe down to say $600.. but then the things i need covered AREN'T covered!!! PLEASE..
What you are saying is not even remotely true. You should check out the National Association for the Self-Employed. Every business, no matter how small is insurable, and for a fraction of what you are currently paying.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I am 100% against universal healthcare but I'd be a fool to say our system does not have some major problems. As mentioned above, doctors are growing tired of jumping through hoops for the carriers and they are more than happy to deal with customers on a cash basis. The amount of time it takes to process a claim, bill the carrier and ultimate collect the payment takes a huge portion of the doctors profits. Why not cut out the middle man and deal directly with the patient? The carriers really need to find a way to cut through the red tape and streamline operations. Not only would this benefit the patient and doctors, it would probably result in increased profits for the carriers.
I agree that we've got some major problems... but let's identify all of them before we make decisions. Check out the CATO publication on the hidden costs incorporated into healthcare.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa527.pdf

Old 01-29-2008, 06:55 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Quote:
Every business, no matter how small is insurable, and for a fraction of what you are currently paying.
We had a business. It fluctuated between 4-20 people. We tried to get an insurance plan, no deal. Because my children have a chronic health issue (totally manageable, no occurance for 5+years) it drove up the cost of the plans offered to us.

Most of the plans were $1000+ a month, per family. The lowest was almost $800, and that was lower because there was no maternity/prenatal care. The highest was almost $1600, BTW. And this would be the cost not only for us, but for any of our employees as well.

Sooo...we went 5 years without insurance. I hoped and prayed whenever someone's throat hurt that it wasn't strep cause I couldn't afford to take them to the Dr. If it were H or I, forget about it, we stuck it out.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There are now doctors who are no longer accepting insurance - cash only. Patients pay the amount the insurance would have paid.

Getting to be somewhat of a trend

How can I find these doctors? I bet they don't exist where I live!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
How can I find these doctors? I bet they don't exist where I live!
Have you looked? That statement reminds me of the kid on here who claimed that they couldn't afford college because it was 40k per year... who based this upon what his family told him. Just like the people I worked with years ago claiming the same things, who never got up and investigated while my sister attended school and paid no tuition whatsoever.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Have you looked? That statement reminds me of the kid on here who claimed that they couldn't afford college because it was 40k per year... who based this upon what his family told him. Just like the people I worked with years ago claiming the same things, who never got up and investigated while my sister attended school and paid no tuition whatsoever.
College? Pffft...who needs college?

Signed,

Bill Gates

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies