Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:03 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times

Advertisements

Do you ever use Amazon? I just ordered a book from Audible. I will listen to it while I drive home. When I want to buy something if I go to Amazon I almost always find a good price get second day delivery and easy returns. I buy many things from Amazon.
I am happy to give him my share of his current earnings.

Wow.. just wow. The lives of most people worldwide are better now than it was 30-50 years ago. The average poor person in America has more now than they did.

Malaria is predicted to be gone soon. A good deal of thanks go to that evil billionaire Bill Gates.

I had some financial work to do today. Thanks to Excel it was pretty easy and even a little fun.
I posted pictures of my grandson learning to crawl yesterday. Thanks to Facebook family and friends were able to see it to. Assuming they wanted to.
My phone can probably store thousands times more information and works so much faster than the old Compaq I used in the late 1980's. But then it was considered powerful with its 20 megabytes and nice 3 or 4 inch amber screen. And the Compaq cost so much more than the best smart phones.
Compaq's Portable 286 Has Power

My doctor can pull up medical records from the cloud to aid in his job.

There are so many other things I could point to explaining why it does not bother me at all that those billionaires are so rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 04:10 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
No surprise. Near zero interest rates push more money into the stock market. A very favorable crony-capitalism system with washing dc doing exactly what big companies want done.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Some
most of the super rich have houses all over the country. Its where they declare residency. I heard Joan Rivers lived in NY but actually declared residency in CA. CA had a better death tax for her amount of money. For the aging super rich most declare residency in a better State. I mean they really don't live in their old age in NJ. HAHA!!
How do you know that what you wrote is true? Do you have statistical evidence?

My guess, and I admit that it is a guess, is that the rich don't really pay very much attention to the state that they live in for tax purposes. They do structure their wealth, with trusts and estates, to minimize inheritance taxes, but I don't believe they move just for tax purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50
You know what is interesting to me? 92 of these 400 live in California. Texas only has 35 (same with Florida). For all the talk about how the rich don't want to pay taxes (and California passing that law that taxed the rich extra) -- they still stay in blue California. Why is that?

California has approx. 10% of the USA population, yet it has 25% of the Forbes 400.
CA has 12.4% of the U.S. population. So, it has twice it's average share of the top 400. That makes sense, since many poor states will be under-represented. Why would one of the super-rich want to live in Mississippi when they can enjoy NY or CA?

Old 09-30-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
No surprise. Near zero interest rates push more money into the stock market. A very favorable crony-capitalism system with washing dc doing exactly what big companies want done.
Near zero interest rates also allow ordinary people to get low mortgage rates, low car rates, etc. The purpose of low interest rates is to encourage consumption in a recovering economy.

Besides, there is no rationale for higher rates, as inflation is below the Fed target and there is no sign that the economy is overheating.

When I was shopping for a mortgage in the 1980s, I used to marvel at the fact that my father had a 6% mortgage, when I was looking at 9-11% mortgages. My current mortgage is 3-5/8%.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy
Liberals don't understand the concept of "creating wealth." They think there is only one big pie, and when someone becomes rich, it is at someone else's expense. They don't understand economics. They've been brainwashed.

Hey! Elizabeth Warren! Is that you? (She thinks the system is rigged, but it's her Party that has rigged it)
Have to laugh at this belief. Tell Paul Krugman and Joseph Stiglitz that they don't understand economics.

Meanwhile, Rand Paul believes in the gold standard and that we should not have any debt whatsoever and the Austrian economists have been chirping for seven years how we are going to have hyperinflation, high interest rates and a devaluation of the dollar.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Near zero interest rates also allow ordinary people to get low mortgage rates, low car rates, etc. The purpose of low interest rates is to encourage consumption in a recovering economy.
Except that it is harder to qualify for the loans. I was just reading about this a couple of days ago. It's a problem, and that is one reason why the housing market isn't booming.

Quote:
Besides, there is no rationale for higher rates, as inflation is below the Fed target and there is no sign that the economy is overheating.

When I was shopping for a mortgage in the 1980s, I used to marvel at the fact that my father had a 6% mortgage, when I was looking at 9-11% mortgages. My current mortgage is 3-5/8%.
Hope that is a fixed rate. No balloon payment.

The economy is virtually stagnant. There is certainly no danger of it overheating.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I wonder how many on the list started as a everyday person who lived by a paycheck and made their way to billionaire status?
Well, look; Bill Gates did many years ago. So did Steve Jobs, and I read recently while researching H.P. that H.P. also started in a garage.

The problem we have today is that we have made it harder for the entrepreneurs, the risk takers, to get the financing they need. And that is sad, because they are the people who create the most jobs. That is one reason that there has been such a slow recovery (if there has been one at all).

I have never worked for any company that didn't start in somebody's garage. At one of those companies was an engineer who was a trail blazer in fiber optic technology. His name was Brian Coles. I wonder where he is today? But he split off and began his own company in fiber optic technology. Today, fiber optic cable is the norm. Back then (early 80's) it was in it's infancy.

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak once worked for H.P. They were hobbyists in their spare time, and that is what developed into Apple.

Intel was started by an engineer from Fairchild. Intel is still the number one processor manufacturer.

Government policies impede the kind of innovation and expansion that we saw in the 70's and 80's. We simply must do some serious reflection and adjust our policies to promote that kind of growth once again.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:30 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I guess they can just buy another President like they did Obama.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
And short term it might do that. It's been done for years and done for one reason only. To artificially pump up the stock market.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:02 PM

773 posts, read 786,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I was just reading about this a couple of days ago.
Where did you read this? On some website that popped up from your web search?

When you do a web search, you limit the parameters. The search engines are there to give you what you want. They are designed to create maximum activity because that's where they make their money.

When doing a web search, you have to be smarter than the search engine... unless you just want to be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies