Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times

Advertisements

This deboggle regarding planned parenthood could be put to rest once and for all, by an independent third party.
As it stands today, one side says this, and the other side rebukes what is being said.
Why not get a third party, or group, independent of planned parenthood, and the federal government to look at all the evidence for and against, and issue a ruling, one way or the other.

I don't think the government should be the one conducting the investigation because they have a dog in the race, and planned parenthood should not either for the same reason.
I would say, put funding on hold until such time that an independent investigation has reached their conclusion as to what, if anything planned parenthood did, or didn't do.

This business of wanting to shut down the government because congressional people can't reach an agreement over this issue, is just plain stupid, and counterproductive.
It likens to a he said/ she said argument, and in that scenario, no one wins.
Lets settle this issue once and for all, and let the truth be known, whatever that is.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:17 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Sounds great in concept, but in reality (i) how do you select this independent party, and who gets to decide?, (ii) how do decide if a third party is independent (for example, is it independent if its board of directors have 4 liberal democrats, 2 lean-republican independents and 2 evangelical republicans?), and (iii) no matter the finding, the supporters of the losing side would not accept the findings as being fair anyway.

Mick

Old 09-30-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Sounds great in concept, but in reality (i) how do you select this independent party, and who gets to decide?, (ii) how do decide if a third party is independent (for example, is it independent if its board of directors have 4 liberal democrats, 2 lean-republican independents and 2 evangelical republicans?), and (iii) no matter the finding, the supporters of the losing side would not accept the findings as being fair anyway.

Mick
Good question, and I will start by saying, this commission would be made up of five members.
As to who chooses them, both the congress, and planned parenthood.
Where do these commission members come from?
They are chosen by their status within the country.

I would say they would be professionals in their field.
Perhaps a doctor, a lawyer, a ceo of a large company, a judge etc.
As with any jurist, they would be screened , and would have to swear to be impartial in their decision, and be capable of coming to a decision regardless of personal beliefs.
They would be ruling strictly on the evidence provided.

Obviously there have been lies on both sides of this issue, and it would be up to this commission to get to the true facts concerning the issues.
Currently one side states that videos exist of employees of planned parenthood involved in discussions regarding the selling of body parts.
The commission would have to hire the best videographer in the country to study these videos, and make a decision on their validity.
At all times, for however long it takes, this commission would meet behind closed doors, and under no circumstances make known the facts of their investigation, until they are ready to issue their decision.

This investigation would be funded by the federal government, and planned parenthood equally.

I have no dog in the race personally, but I do have an opinion on this entire issue of planned parenthood.
I believe some of their services are beneficial, while others are not.
I also believe they could use some improvement on how they handle clients on a one to one basis.
They seem too , in many cases, take the easy way out.

I believe their teaching, and counseling activities need much improvement.
I am not against abortion, but THAT should be a last resort.
I am extremely suspect of the alleged videos.
Dirty tricks have been the mainstay in politics since the inception of politics, and these videos are no exception.

Much needs to be learned in this commission inquiry, and we can only hope the politicians will back off, appoint a bipartisan commission, and let them decide who is right, and who is wrong in this issue.

Bob.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:41 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,631,156 times
Let's step back for a moment and realize there has been NO formal investigation by Congress as to these secret videos by Planned Parenthood. Just shear innuendo by right wingers in Congress ! Aren't they supposed to investigate these accusations before hand and then decide if they should de-fund Planned Parenthood?

Old 10-01-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Let's step back for a moment and realize there has been NO formal investigation by Congress as to these secret videos by Planned Parenthood. Just shear innuendo by right wingers in Congress ! Aren't they supposed to investigate these accusations before hand and then decide if they should de-fund Planned Parenthood?

Obviously congress is a bit lax in their duties.
This is why I feel a commission should be appointed to investigate this entire issue, and their decision would be the final word on funding planned parenthood or not, as well as deciding if any criminal prosecution is necessary.

Presently it is, "do we fund planned parenthood or not", and that has the congress split on not only how to move forward, but deal with the possibility of shutting the government down over this unresolved matter.

I feel funding should be put on hold until a ruling comes down from this appointed commission.

As stated in a post earlier, no matter what the ruling, some are not going to be happy with it, but my answer to that would be, a ruling on the evidence has been handed down, now live with it.

Bob.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:25 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
If the chairman of that committee is to be believed they have all the evidence submitted by the makers of those videos, that they asked for, locked in a safe and they can't look at it because those folks are being sued. I think there is also a possible violation of the law by the video makers that is also under investigation. I believe it has to do with fraudulently filing LLC documents. Also possibly identity theft.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:18 AM

580 posts, read 450,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
...Why not get a third party, or group, independent of planned parenthood, and the federal government to look at all the evidence for and against, and issue a ruling, one way or the other.

Lets settle this issue once and for all, and let the truth be known, whatever that is.

Bob.
Have you been asleep Bob?

States Try To Dig Up Planned Parenthood Violations, Fail Miserably

"Probes in Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts and South Dakota have uncovered no evidence of wrongdoing."

South Carolina Becomes 12th State to Investigate Planned Parenthood for Selling Aborted Babies | LifeNews.com

Old 10-01-2015, 03:07 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
This deboggle regarding planned parenthood could be put to rest once and for all, by an independent third party.
As it stands today, one side says this, and the other side rebukes what is being said.
Why not get a third party, or group, independent of planned parenthood, and the federal government to look at all the evidence for and against, and issue a ruling, one way or the other.

I don't think the government should be the one conducting the investigation because they have a dog in the race, and planned parenthood should not either for the same reason.
I would say, put funding on hold until such time that an independent investigation has reached their conclusion as to what, if anything planned parenthood did, or didn't do.

This business of wanting to shut down the government because congressional people can't reach an agreement over this issue, is just plain stupid, and counterproductive.
It likens to a he said/ she said argument, and in that scenario, no one wins.

Bob.

Why would you need an investigation when there is a set of videos on YouTube in which PP employees discuss altering abortion techniques to preserve certain highly prized organs for individuals they believe are baby organ dealers?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:22 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
Have you been asleep Bob?

States Try To Dig Up Planned Parenthood Violations, Fail Miserably

"Probes in Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts and South Dakota have uncovered no evidence of wrongdoing."

South Carolina Becomes 12th State to Investigate Planned Parenthood for Selling Aborted Babies | LifeNews.com

"The investigations were launched after the Center for Medical Progress, an anti-abortion group, began releasing hidden-camera videos in July that supposedly depicted Planned Parenthood physicians and staff members discussing the sale of fetal parts."

Seems a bit silly to have an investigation by the state after the videos were released since the element of surprise no longer existed, don`t you think?

If you were trying to make the point that undercover investigations only work when the people being investigated don`t know they are being investigated, I agree.

Safe to say, after July, they knew they were being monitored.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:41 AM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
There have already been investigations by the states as far as criminal activity, what are you investigating.

Also the Budget Office has prepared a study on the impact of budget cuts on PP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies