Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This is a case of him not leaving his party, but his party leaving him. The GOP he talked about in that speech bears little resemblance to the current Tea Party controlled iteration. Powell does not belong in today's GOP. He's too intelligent for them.
I will argue with you up one side and down the other on this. He has never been a conservative Republican but is a registered one, probably like Geraldo R. The party hasn't changed as much as you think it has. His views lean to the left of main stream GOP. Did you read his auto biography? If you had you would understand. It is a good account about his life and a very interestig read I would add. Probably the only true Republican views he ever held have to do with his being military. I admire him for all he has accomplished and his love for the country, but the party did not leave him. And maybe you need to realize the Tea Party is not the same as the GOP and it does not control the GOP. The Tea Party does have some good views, but they go about things in the wrong way in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 02:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you're saying that a Republican president -- George Bush -- was stupid because he was fooled by Powell's awards and other non-accomplishments and appointed him Secretary Of State? Now we're making progress!
Well, we all knew George was a Dummy.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:39 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Correct, they sound like race-hustling Republicans.
So Republicans want racial preferences for whites that discriminate against non-whites?

First I've heard of that.

We know that the Democrats want racial preferences for non-whites that discriminate against whites.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Why is it that virtually every member of Aryan Nation, Aryan Brotherhood, and the like is a Republican or lean-Republican Independent?

Mick
Um, how do you know that?

I suspect that they have no interest in either the Democrats or the Republicans.

But give us a link to prove your case.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This thread is proof positive that Powell is too intelligent for today's GOP.
Your side wasn't saying that when he presented his evidence of WMDs in Iraq to the UN.

My, how quickly you change your tune....

Old 10-05-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
It's only anecdotal, but I have known a number of relatively poor Whites, and although it seems incomprehensible to me, they vote Republican.
"Anecdotal..."

In other words, you don't know how most of them vote.

Thanks for admitting that.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:46 AM

Quote:
In terms of policy, in general, most Democrats could still run within the Democratic Party and be successful. Look at Joe Biden. He believes abortion is wrong, BUT, he doesn't believe a politician's personal beliefs should dictate national policy. And that's what conservatives don't really understand. I've personally never heard a Democrat or liberal say, "Abortion is good."

And, just for the record, the Republican Party hasn't evolved, it's devolved.
None of that disproves my point that Democrats would never elect JFK today.

What makes you think that HIS personal beliefs did not dictate his policies?

LOL

Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
He's a hypocrite. He brags about financing his own campaign which means he can't be bought, yet in the past he's admittedly donated millions to politicians so he can buy them. The man has no principles, only ego.
You're naive if you believe that.

Of course Trump bought politicians, just like other billionaires buy politicians -- and he is happy to admit it.

If he had no principles, he would deny that he had ever done that.

Instead, he admits it.

So you have a choice:

Support some other candidate who will be literally owned by the people who buy him/her (and NEVER admit it) -- or support Trump, who won't be owned by anyone.

Apparently, you want your leader to lie to you and betray you.

Whatever turns you on....

I hope you're delighted by NAFTA, the NSA gathering all your info, drone attacks on civilians, Guantanamo still being open, millions still not having health insurance while insurance companies laugh all the way to the bank, increasing inequality, declining average incomes, the Clintons being worth $250 million, hedge fund traders paying zero income taxes and making hundreds of millions a year, Clinton's "end to welfare as we know it," Clinton signing off on the repeal of the Glass-Steagle Act, and other such results of the Democrats being bought by Wall Street....

Last edited by dechatelet; 10-05-2015 at 04:00 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that a Republican president -- George Bush -- was stupid because he was fooled by Powell's awards and other non-accomplishments and appointed him Secretary Of State? Now we're making progress!
Stupid compared to what?

The Boy King who's being slapped around by Putin?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, we all knew George was a Dummy.
And yet, somehow, he graduated from Harvard and Yale before they had grade inflation and racial favoritism (unlike Obama), served our country in the military (unlike Obama, who COULD have, but chose not to) and was governor of Texas and President of the U.S.

Your accomplishments....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies