Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,125,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Tell me again how Christians are not being persecuted in this country?
when has this happened to a group of muslims in this country??

And where is the outrage of the liberal left?? Oh I forgot...none.

Oregon Gunman Targeted Christians, Was Heavily Armed
They aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 02:54 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,444,469 times
Quote:

What outrage do you want? I'm liberal. I'm outraged that innocent people have been killed. Again. I'm outraged that another mentally ill/mentally disturbed young man was legally allowed access to guns. I'm outraged that FALSE stories are being touted as truth, and that Christians are using the deaths of innocent people as political subterfuge to "prove" they are being "persecuted" by the whole country somehow. I am outraged that the Second Amendment is held as a holy document above the lives of the innocent dead. It's all Bullsh!t. Yeah, I'm outraged.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Tell me again that Christians are not being persecuted in this country???? "

I think they are being bullied, persecuted not so much. You have a few nut jobs who act out, or use it as an excuse anyway. Since this guy was really into the IRA, wouldn't he have asked them if they were Catholic or Protestant. I dunno, the whole thing isn't making much sense.
No, it doesn't make much sense.

There's a reason for that - the shooter was living in an alternate reality, where ideas rattled around in his head like marbles in a can, making only incidental contact with each other.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:45 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,059,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think they are being bullied, persecuted not so much. You have a few nut jobs who act out, or use it as an excuse anyway. Since this guy was really into the IRA, wouldn't he have asked them if they were Catholic or Protestant. I dunno, the whole thing isn't making much sense.
Maybe we should ban these next. Irish Republican Army Gifts

Old 10-03-2015, 03:56 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,751 times
Quote:

Oregon Gunman Targeted Christians, Was Heavily Armed
An ordained minister and congressional hopeful admitted that he had plans to destroy a Muslim town.

Ordained Christian Minister and Former Congressional Hopeful Planned to 'Utterly Destroy' Muslims in New York Town

And if you took the time to look, you could find plenty of stories of Muslim Americans who were attacked or killed in the weeks following 9/11.

Ignoring that, this isn't really persecution. This is a single example of a madman doing something crazy. This would have to be a wide spread problem without the influence of mental disorder for something like this to be considered persecution. Like being attacked for being Muslim in the weeks following 9/11.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:01 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,219,058 times
Religion will always be attacked in any secular country. In exactly the same way that Christianity will be attacked in a Muslim country, and Islam will be attacked in a Christian country.

If a religion, or a lack of religion, creates laws which run counter to the beliefs of others, then for all-intents and purposes, that group is being persecuted for their beliefs.

When a Christian is forced to bake a cake for a gay couple or be fined, he is being persecuted. How else would you define it?

Persecution means, "to pursue with harassing or oppressive treatment, especially because of religious or political beliefs, ethnic or racial origin, gender identity, or sexual orientation". Or, "to annoy or trouble persistently."

If you tell a man, if you refuse to do something which goes against your religion, that we will put you out-of-business. Then you are stripping away his ability to earn a living. The fact that there are alternative jobs is completely irrelevant, because it assumes that there will always be alternatives.

If you want to turn around and say that Christians in many ways "persecute atheists", I might even accept that. If you say that Christians in many ways persecute Muslims, I would equally accept that. I think we all persecute each other. And there really isn't a way to reconcile this problem, short of forcing everyone to believe the exact same things.

Which is the goal of secularism. Its goal is to replace the worship of god, with the worship of the state. Instead of turning to god for answers and help, you turn to the state. And we must all obey the dictates of the state or be punished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uVV2Dcqt0

Old 10-03-2015, 07:34 PM

50,892 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
...And there really isn't a way to reconcile this problem, short of forcing everyone to believe the exact same things.

Actually, there is. The way is to relax and follow the principle of "live and let live". It's to think, "It's not my issue about what 'they' do in bed. My job is to bake a cake." It's to think, "I don't need to know what his religion is because that's his business, I can just treat him with courtesy and kindness."

Old 10-03-2015, 07:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Actually, there is. The way is to relax and follow the principle of "live and let live". It's to think, "It's not my issue about what 'they' do in bed. My job is to bake a cake." It's to think, "I don't need to know what his religion is because that's his business, I can just treat him with courtesy and kindness."
No kidding.

What on earth is so hard about that?

(I'd rep you, but...)

Old 10-03-2015, 07:53 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,219,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please don't ramble platitudes. Your whole "live and let live" mentality, makes as much sense as saying a prostitute or a drug dealer should be allowed to solicit in front of my house.

And it doesn't matter what you think my job is, the question is whether or not you should be able to force me to do something that goes against my religion, by punishing me with fines, or forcing me out of business.

What you are actually saying is, "If you have religious beliefs, you cannot be a baker". Is that not persecution?

This isn't about Christians vs Atheists. What I'm saying is, any time there is a law which is incompatible with someone's religion, then the enforcement of said law, is a form of persecution by definition.

And the only true way to reconcile such a difference of opinion, is through separation. But since separation isn't possible, then there is no way to reconcile the problem, short of one party or the other being forced to accept something that they believe is repulsive, immoral, or tyrannical.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,950,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I believe it. Every December (and I mean every), Fox News tells me there is a war against Christmas. The next logical step must be the persecution of Christians, right?

Mick
Actually, the Christmas thing Christians have come to realize this is going to be a battle and many celebrate it in so many ways it's hardly Christmas anymore.

I see real life issues happening on a day to day bases.......what is your answer to these.......

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs banned the mention of God from veterans’ funerals, overriding the wishes of the deceased’s families.

A federal judge held that prayers before a state House of Representatives could be to Allah but not to Jesus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies