Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:45 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The keyword is voluntary. People should be allowed to live where they want to live. And if a [insert favorite race here] family moves next door, and somebody moves because they prefer to be among [insert other favorite race here] people and, in effect, self-segregating themselves, then so be it.
You can do that now. That's how a neighborhood can end up predominantly of people from India, for instance (there is a current thread going on about that).

So what you're necessarily talking about is the power to prevent people from moving into the neighborhood that someone else is trying to "self-segregate."

Old 10-03-2015, 07:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, everyone should be opposed to government discrimination. But I'm not even sure what disallowing personal discrimination would even look like. Do you mean that you would force me to date black women?
No. I'm saying it would be fine with me if you didn't want to date black women.

Quote:
No one is honestly opposed to personal discrimination, because trying to enforce it would be absurd.
Agreed.

Quote:
The issue here is whether or not you would allow discrimination in business. And, what would happen if discrimination in business was perfectly legal(again)?
I was looking at the OP's question in the context of our living environment, i.e neighborhoods*, not in business. As for your last question - I don't know.

[this has been my approach to the question all along]

Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You can do that now. That's how a neighborhood can end up predominantly of people from India, for instance (there is a current thread going on about that).

So what you're necessarily talking about is the power to prevent people from moving into the neighborhood that someone else is trying to "self-segregate."
I know. And what I am saying is that the individual, and only the individual, should dictate where he move to or where he moves from.

[provided that he can afford it, of course]

Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
We already segregate. Blacks live in black neighborhoods and hang out with other blacks for the most part. Whites do the same, as do Hispanics and every other race out there. People are naturally more comfortable around people of the same race.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:00 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
We already segregate. Blacks live in black neighborhoods and hang out with other blacks for the most part. Whites do the same, as do Hispanics and every other race out there. People are naturally more comfortable around people of the same race.
Only because people of the same color tend to share a common culture.

People of two different colors raised in the same small town would probably feel more comfortable together than with people of the same color, from an inner city.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:01 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I was looking at the OP's question in the context of our living environment, i.e neighborhoods*, not in business. As for your last question - I don't know.

[this has been my approach to the question all along]
I hate to sound too much like a Republican, but there is no such thing as a business. There are only people. Thus, businesses are people, people are businesses.

A plumber doesn't become a non-person the moment he offers his services for public consumption.

Secondly, when you buy a house, or sell a house, or rent a house, you are a person, and you have opinions about people and groups. So would it be acceptable for someone to not sell or rent their house/apartment to someone based on the color of their skin?

If the answer is no, then you don't actually believe in voluntary segregation, or you have a strange definition of voluntary. If the answer is yes, then you must then think about what would happen if everyone was allowed to discriminate in such a way.

It is pointless for me to continue this discussion if you cannot say whether you would accept private discrimination.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:04 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I don't see that happening in the communities on the north side of Dallas or anywhere anymore when finances are not a factor (and, btw, black people who can afford better housing areas on their own income complain about Section 8 housing in their neighborhoods as much as white people do, particularly considering that was specifically what they deliberately worked hard to escape).

Old 10-03-2015, 08:09 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We had that era of racial segregation. It didn't solve any problems.
Yeah, remember those days of "separate but equal?" Neither does anybody else, because the "equal" part was never equal. We'd end up with those problems again.

And what would you do with all of the people of mixed race? Would you create a whole separate racial distinction for them? What about mixed families? Where would they go?

Are you starting to see, OP, why this is a bad idea?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:13 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
With all the racial trouble that I have heard about the Main Stream media journalists never talk about racial separation as a possible solution to the racial problems in this country. Multiculturalism and integration is taken as a given with no discussion needed or allowed. Now before we come right out and advocate racial separation we can at least consider that it is a possible solution to many of our racial problems even though you may disagree with it after considering all that it entails. So why isn't it even an area of discussion? It is possibly a legitimate solution to our racial problems. It isn't nonsense like believing in flying saucers or that their might be men living inside the earth that no body has ever seen. It seems that the holier-than-thou leftist intellectuals in all their self righteous smugness think that their ideas are worthy to be implemented and no other ideas are intelligent enough to be considered.
Because there are millions of racially integrated families in this country which makes the idea a complete non-starter.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
People tend to naturally segregate themselves. So stop trying to force them to mix.

1. Get rid of minority quotas.
2. Get rid of section 8 housing.
3. Stop bussing in kids from bad neighborhoods to schools in nice neighborhoods.
4. Stop letting illegals pour into the country.
5. Get rid of all these non-sense "minority" college schollarships.
6. Cut out all of this liberal, "We need more minorities in blah blah blah" propaganda
People dont naturally segregate themselves. At least not in the way you are speaking.

Also not sure what you mean by busing kids to schools in nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies