Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:25 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know if the Oregon shooter legally purchased his guns, but if he did he passed the required background checks Oregon requires on all firearm purchases.

Next redundant idea please.
Exactly. Either he passed a background check or purchased the weapon illegally. Either way, the background check didn't help stop the problem. Crazy people who want to kill aren't going to be dissuaded by laws. The only thing that would have stopped this guy is someone else with a gun.

What's upsetting is that the media isn't reporting about the student on the other side of campus who was a military veteran and had a concealed carry permit, but was told by the school staff to not go after the attacker when the shooting started.

Update: ARMED Veteran Prevented from Stopping Oregon Shooter by School Staff [VIDEO] - The Truth About Guns

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have it, you won't need it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 08:28 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Every time there is a shooting in the US (except Chicago), there is aa call for "new" gun laws.

Can anyone tell me what new gun law would have prevented the Oregon shooting, or any other shooting?
None, because criminals don't obey laws. They couldn't care less.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are correct!

What we need is a change in the gun culture mentality.

If a person that is part of the gun culture becomes mentally ill he may decide to shoot people.

If a person that is NOT part of the gun culture becomes mentally ill he does not shoot people because he does not know how to use a gun.

The reason we have so many mass shootings is cultural. In the rest of the world we are known as violent people.
Quote:
In South American countries with gun prohibition criminals kill each other regularly, however mass killings of innocent people are a rarity.
once again i ask you to stop posting things about which you know nothing. you continue to make a fool of yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

Old 10-04-2015, 08:49 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again i ask you to stop posting things about which you know nothing. you continue to make a fool of yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers
The worst part is people like him are allowed to vote.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:53 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
The folks that do mass shootings are not hard core criminals.

Folks that do mass shootings are mentally ill people that belong to the gun culture crowd.
I'll play along.

What is it that you want to accomplish by lumping mass murders with law abiding gun owners? Do you want to eliminate the gun culture, so you can ban guns? Or try to convince people that all gun owners are bad, by lumping the entire gun culture in with murders, to then ban guns?

Being that mass murders make up, I don't know, less than 1/100th of a percent of gun owners, I don't think anyone if going to believe that it's the gun culture that is causing crazy people to kill. Also consider that mass murder victims make up less that 1% of all murder victims, so this is hardly an epidemic destroying our country.

This is nothing more than sensationalism to promote the anti-gun movement. Of course this sensationalism is what motivates the mentally ill to carry out these acts of violence, as they know they will get the attention they crave. I think there is more of a case to be made that it is the media coverage, and all of the attention the killers get, that is the cause of mass shootings, not the gun culture.

So again, be honest, what is it that you want to accomplish by blaming the gun culture for mass shootings?

Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
In my state.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
i dont think he is old enough. i think he is fourteen and scared of his own shadow, and thus he is posting from moms basement where he thinks he is completely safe.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
We could make it illegal to possess or use a gun.

Just like back in 1937 the government made it illegal to possess or use marijuana and not a single person has since.

Simple prohibition always works perfectly. Everybody knows that.

How would one go about changing the constitutions, Bill of Rights? When it clearly states it shall not be infringed, meaning even an amendment to change it, would be unconstitutional??

We... You can give up your rights to protect yourself, but I as an individual never will...

We should ban water, because people drown.

Freak'n idiotic, isn't it.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Australia essentially stopped mass shootings by passing laws restricting the sale of rapid-fire guns, and implementing a nationwide gun buyback program. To say that we couldn't do something similar is just lazy.

19 Years After Passing Strict Gun Control Laws, Here's What Happened in Australia - Mic

Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
So, its been decided that these "mass shooters" all have the common thread , of being alienated "losers", who are bitter and have a huge amount of self pity. They , obviously, needed help , of some sort, but couldn't/didn't get it, and just decided to go off. Most of them had been acting goofy for a while. Nobody would have anything to do with them, thus, the alienation, so, I guess they figured SOMEBODY would notice them, if they made themselves famous.

Ours is a cruel society, whether anyone chooses to believe it, or not. Especially young people. Its always been that way. The pressure to be "cool" and well liked. Attractive and successful. Certain types of people get shoved aside. Shunned , even, just for being different. They get told, and start to believe, they are worthless, have no value and nobody is interested in them. You see this a lot in schools, that's where it all starts. The cliques, the "popular" crowd etc. Loner types get LA eled as "weird" , early on, shunned by their peers, and so, made more alone. Its a problem, has been for a while, and now, with all the tech we rely on so much, these people can create a virtual world to live in, where THEY make the "rules" and decide what's "cool and normal".

A fantasy world, made all to real. Technology has not advanced mental health. Its encouraged people to withdraw. Do all their interaction via modem. That can't be a good thing, especially for someone already withdrawn and ignored. So, there's one more aspect of mental health to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies