Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times

Advertisements

The government should find ways to identify these people before they go mental and shoot others.

Then pay homeless people (with EBT cards and vouchers for clothes, etc) to hang out with the lonely, mentally ill people so they don't feel alone.

It's a win-win scenario.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:19 PM

66 posts, read 56,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
The government should find ways to identify these people before they go mental and shoot others. Then pay homeless people (with EBT cards and vouchers for clothes, etc) to hang out with the lonely, mentally ill people so they don't feel alone. It's a win-win scenario.
I say it's worth a try. If you can take the ball on rounding up all the homeless girls that are hot enough looking to attract the interest of these guys, I'll print up the recruitment flyers and work on the website. Maybe we can make a difference.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I was thinking along these lines as well, though I am not convinced my line of thought is necessarily on point. I will put it out there anyway...

Most men don't lead a charmed life, but a small percentage do. Twenty years ago, before the interweb, Tinder and social media, a guy like Chris Mercer would sit at home oblivious to the highly active social life a small fraction of men lead. He would assume that all women that rejected him were chaste, or shy, or complicated. Now he can go on a multitude of social media and see that women respond to some men completely differently than they respond to him. Once he has gone down that rabbit hole, no telling where that rage leads.
Actually I think you may have a point, although when I think about the technological changes that could potentially bring about other changes, it seems almost like its own topic.

For example I frequently watch detective shows about historic killers. There have been a number of Son Of Sam type murderers over the decades who killed couples parked on a quiet dirt road or whatever. And some of them weren't even loners, some were married with kids. So I think trying to determine root cause of the killing in every case is a bit too ambitious.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSays View Post
Then why is it that when someone says "we committed the school shooting because we were bullied and picked on", we as a society take measures to address the bullying, but when someone says "I committed the shooting because of female rejection and lack of sex", we entitle ourselves to sit back and say "oh that wasn't REALLY the reason, I know the real reason for another person's actions better than they know themselves"... ?

It doesn't add up.
I think they're basically saying the same thing. They're outsiders but they want to be included in their community. They want to have real relationships with friends and romantic partners. We try to remedy that in school by telling people not to be bullies and creating opportunities for the ostracized people to be included. It's reasonable to tell kids or young adults, "Be kind. Don't be a jerk. Observe the golden rule and try to include people." Even doing that though does not assure that kids won't open fire on their classmates, because it does not address underlying mental health issues. Most lonely, ostracized kids don't kill people.

When you're talking about romantic relationships, you can't force women to be in relationships with men and going to a prostitute probably wouldn't give them the relationship they crave. And there's still the mental health issue.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
hey, what about those of us that are going bonkers because we don't have a new sports car?

Old 10-06-2015, 02:31 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,137,280 times
I think the problem goes beyond not having sex (with anyone else) and more as Marlow said that they want a true girlfriend. And not just any girlfriend. Someone "hot" enough to be a Victoria Secret model. The average music video shows women throwing themselves all over guys, so they think "Why not me?" But it's not them that women want since they aren't rich and famous.

Back in my day, rock stars had tons of groupies. Women threw themselves at them. But no guy went ballistic and shot other people because he couldn't get women the way a rock star could.

I think the solution is to have an online "Loser Hall of Fame." Let these guys go down in posterity as losers who couldn't get a date. Of course that could still be appealing as it would be fame, even though negative, but perhaps some of them wouldn't want to be remembered in the Loser Hall of Fame.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:32 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I'm not sure these killers acted out because they weren't getting sex. I think it was love and acceptance from the opposite sex that was lacking. When people are constantly rejected/ridiculed/ignored it can lead to a lot of resentment. Thankfully most people can control the anger, but in these cases they could not.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think they're basically saying the same thing. They're outsiders but they want to be included in their community. They want to have real relationships with friends and romantic partners. We try to remedy that in school by telling people not to be bullies and creating opportunities for the ostracized people to be included. It's reasonable to tell kids or young adults, "Be kind. Don't be a jerk. Observe the golden rule and try to include people." Even doing that though does not assure that kids won't open fire on their classmates, because it does not address underlying mental health issues. Most lonely, ostracized kids don't kill people. When you're talking about romantic relationships, you can't force women to be in relationships with men and going to a prostitute probably wouldn't give them the relationship they crave. And there's still the mental health issue.
But these guys didn't say they wanted romance. Hell, given an abundant enough supply of sex without hassle, many normal men on this planet wouldn't actively seek out romance.

Sure some of them would like a relationship, and obviously a prostitute is not going to help with that, but they could relieve a certain amount of sexual tension and frustration. Perhaps not enough to make the guy truly happy, but perhaps enough to save a few lives.

Sodini talked about just being able to remember what a woman feels like, and what it was like when he was younger to be able to take a woman home without being ignored every single time. He just wanted to get laid. He wanted to remember what it was like to talk to a woman without her quickly finding an excuse to get away from him.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
hey, what about those of us that are going bonkers because we don't have a new sports car?
Kill anyone over it yet? Then probably outside the scope of this discussion (and unless you can tie that into loneliness somehow, it still is).

Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSays View Post
But these guys didn't say they wanted romance. Hell, given an abundant enough supply of sex without hassle, many normal men on this planet wouldn't actively seek out romance.

Sure some of them would like a relationship, and obviously a prostitute is not going to help with that, but they could relieve a certain amount of sexual tension and frustration. Perhaps not enough to make the guy truly happy, but perhaps enough to save a few lives.

Sodini talked about just being able to remember what a woman feels like, and what it was like when he was younger to be able to take a woman home without being ignored every single time. He just wanted to get laid. He wanted to remember what it was like to talk to a woman without her quickly finding an excuse to get away from him.
That's a huge assumption, and I hope that's not what you think.

You haven't proven that just having sex will keep them from rampaging. Lots of celibate people don't rampage. These types of people are defective on some fundamental level. If just not having sex turned men into murderers the human race would be extinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies