Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,947 times

Advertisements

Of course, most of the US Chicken crap media did not report this in the papers this AM (the Oregonian and USA today online certainly did not)! This is what Pelosi and Reed get for not impeaching possibly the biggest disgrace in this nations history, GWB.

Bush challenges hundreds of laws - The Boston Globe
Quote:
"President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution."]President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Why no coverage in the media? This is almost like Pravda 2008 in the USA!

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 01-30-2008 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,947 times
Wow I just read that article in more detail, the bottom paragraph? Shoot, now I may consider voting for McCain (unless he's lying and just trying to win votes by saying that).

Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

© Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM

478 posts, read 959,928 times
I don't know why we would need permanent bases there, the Iraqi Army looks good to go right now.

If this is real, it's reminiscent of an Iraqi version of the movie "Stripes"... with Bill Murray.

General Barnicke: "These are exactly the kind of go-getters I want on my EM-50 project."

I hope it's not real. But then again, you never know.

YouTube - Iraqi Army Training

Old 01-30-2008, 05:19 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times
It was the lead editorial today in NYT. The Oregonian is nothing but advertisements. I cancelled it in 2000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/25/opinion/25tue2.html

Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
The use of signing statements to "qualify" the applicability and scope of the signed bill isn't a hidden story, and has been well reported. Disagree with it, but it hasn't been a secret:

PolitiByte - Political forums, news, opinions, and information. - Economic Stimulus Package: Rebate or Welfare?
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/24/wa...n/24prexy.html
'Signing Statements' Study Finds Administration Has Ignored Laws - washingtonpost.com

Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Firstly, not one of the elected candidates, even Obama, is calling for any immediate withdrawal of US forces from Iraq should he or she be elected. Bush certainly is not going to withdraw them in his now final year.

Therefore, the decision will not be Bush's at all.

Personally, I do not want nor do I see the need for a permanent base in Iraq. However, should a freely elected Iraqi government and the American government decide to have one, where exactly is the chicanery?

Finally, no American base abroad is permanent. All American forces abroad are governed by Status of Forces agreements between the host country and the US. US forces can be evicted at any time as they have in the past from France, Libya, Thailand and the Philippines.

So would some of you please do yourselves a favor and get your imaginations under control? Paranoia and fantasy is a lethal mix.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:43 AM

478 posts, read 959,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
However, should a freely elected Iraqi government and the American government decide to have one, where exactly is the chicanery?

Finally, no American base abroad is permanent. All American forces abroad are governed by Status of Forces agreements between the host country and the US. US forces can be evicted at any time as they have in the past from France, Libya, Thailand and the Philippines.

So would some of you please do yourselves a favor and get your imaginations under control? Paranoia and fantasy is a lethal mix.

How the hell are they going to get a freely elected gov't in Iraq, when we can't even get one here in the "Homeland"? (I just love that word...sorry - Such cozy reminders of Nazi Germany...)

And... You know damn well any gov't set up in Iraq is one that will jive with American interests (corporate American interests, that is) long term. And secondly, your analogy to previous American bases around the world... that have shut down... is completely irrelevant to any bases that are going to be in Iraq. You forgot the reason why we are there in the first place. Hint: It's that stuff Jed Clampett saw bubbling out of the ground that one day he was out hunting for some food.

American bases are going to be in Iraq forever. Get used to it. The "war on terror" is nothing but a front for a geo-political, natural resources power grab.This stuff has been going on since the beginning of time, one country knocking off another... for it's loot. Nowadays, it's just dressed on television as a "war on terror".... and a "freedom agenda", etc. It's all so easy to see through, it's pathetic.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
How the hell are they going to get a freely elected gov't in Iraq, when we can't even get one here in the "Homeland"? (I just love that word...sorry - Such cozy reminders of Nazi Germany...)
Even I cannot disprove a fantasy. Carry on though.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:06 PM

26 posts, read 44,670 times
The Iraqi government recently cancelled all contracts with ExonMobil, BP, Shell, etc and signed on with China in an exclusive deal for all the Iraqi oil. This should make for interesting news this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies