Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 03:23 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
Sorry, I am late on this, as the discussion must be long past it... but this is the issue I just can't keep my mouth shut!

My thoughts exactly!

Gun-control does NOT mean "no guns"!! So why would they want to give up theirs or take away yours?
God knows, we do need a bit more gun control in this country! (coming from someone with a prospective of living elsewhere)
But every time this issue comes up, all I hear from everywhere "Oh, no, this is my basic right to own a gun, they can't take away that right!.. " All the same words, and you can't even try to say anything different!

Exactly! It just seems so obvious... it's big business, tons of money involved, so naturally they would not want to risk losing customers (even theoretically). Naturally, they'd use every chance there is, to convince people that it is "All or nothing". Unfortunately, most people don't look past their catchy phrases and propaganda... MONEY is behind that thinking.

(I don't think any other country has such high rate of mass shooting incidents Yet, everyone around me seems to think that solution is more guns! Wonder who'd benefit from that? )

So what's your suggestion?
I still haven't heard anyone come up with any new
"gun control" measures that would help in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 03:49 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
If the owner is worried about that part they would report the gun stolen.
You completely missed the point. The point is that if they report the gun stolen, and if it is recovered and returned to the owner, the fact that that particular person owns that particular firearm is now permanently stored in a government database - which could be hacked and/or used against the gunowner in the future.

Quote:
Do you think that if someone breaks into my house, I should be required to report it, even if nothing was taken?
No. It should be your decision as to whether or not you make a report. You should not be compelled by law to do so.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:01 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,011,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
You completely missed the point. The point is that if they report the gun stolen, and if it is recovered and returned to the owner, the fact that that particular person owns that particular firearm is now permanently stored in a government database - which could be hacked and/or used against the gunowner in the future.

No. It should be your decision as to whether or not you make a report. You should not be compelled by law to do so.
I agree.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:12 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
God knows, we do need a bit more gun control in this country! (coming from someone with a prospective of living elsewhere).
According to the evidence presented by other countries, the last thing we need is more gun control.

Mexico has very strict gun control, and an intentional homicide rate of 21.5 per 100,000 population.
Switzerland has a very high rate of legal gun ownership (including about half a million fully automatic rifles), and an intentional homicide rate of 0.49 per 100,000 population.

Data from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

Old 10-18-2015, 05:30 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Lol and if they don't own guns, they employ people who do.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
It is true that those who support the most restrictive gun controls also own guns.

Why then do all those people not simply turn in their guns and go on record as having done so? Shouldn't they participate in a national "I am unarmed" registry to demonstrate their "I do as I say" attitudes?

It's called: Hypocrisy!

America is full of it.

Do as I say not as I do mentality.

Gun owners(all of congress), should all be disarmed, and set an example for everyone else, because obviously if there were no guns to steal, crazy people and natural born thief's wouldn't have any to steal & commit crimes with! DOH!

BUT....

Unfortunately, this Wild West assbackwards mentality keeps going on since the entire Congress is a member of the NRA! Congress knows it's a lot easier to rule over stupid than over the educated, so they spend all the money on military, guns, and let people shoot themselves, instead of being a responsible gov and care for this country's citizens and their well being.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:09 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
We don't need more gun control.

What we need is to keep guns out of the hands of idiots, hotheads, lunatics and bad guys.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:50 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
You realize you didnt answer the question at all, right?
No telli does not understand that....

Old 10-18-2015, 10:00 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
So what's your suggestion?
I still haven't heard anyone come up with any new
"gun control" measures that would help in any way.
Given that every developed country on earth has vastly less gun control crime, it would be patently obvious that basically ANY gun control measures would help.

Just be honest- you're a gun nut and are against any regulations whatsoever. Anything anyone will propose you will criticize as useless.

If someone says "background checks" or "tracking guns" or "required training" or "mental health evaluation" or "mandatory sentencing" or "outlawed weaponry" or "annual check-ins" you will come up with some wacky reason why this policy would be useless, even though every other developed country has far tougher rules and far less gun violence.

Be honest and say you're against any gun rules. You are hardly the only one with such thoughts.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:04 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Given that every developed country on earth has vastly less gun control crime, it would be patently obvious that basically ANY gun control measures would help.

Just be honest- you're a gun nut and are against any regulations whatsoever. Anything anyone will propose you will criticize as useless.

If someone says "background checks" or "tracking guns" or "required training" or "mental health evaluation" or "mandatory sentencing" or "outlawed weaponry" or "annual check-ins" you will come up with some wacky reason why this policy would be useless, even though every other developed country has far tougher rules and far less gun violence.

Be honest and say you're against any gun rules. You are hardly the only one with such thoughts.
Mandatory sentencing doesnt have much opposition from the NRA.

Required training aka guns for the wealthy.

Menal health evaluation, AKA answer to the politburo comrade!

Outlawed weaponry aka your coming to my door to take MY property? Lol

Annual check ins, aka answer to the politburo comrade.

I will support background checks in exchange for elimination of the GCA of 68 and NFA laws. Want to compromise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies