Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should alternative theories to evolution be taught in public schools?
Yes (intelligent design, creationism is OK) 10 12.05%
No (evolution only) 73 87.95%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Don't most schools have religion classes? Science and religion don't really mix well in a classroom setting. Evolution is a fact, provable by scientific method. Intelligent design is based on faith, and thus should not be in taught side-by-side with evolution. If they want to put as part of a religion class, then that is fine.
WTF? Keep that sky daddy crap out of any school. That has served to be the basis for human frailty and controversy for far longer than it ever should have.

A bullcrap system designed by man to elevate his hopes beyond that of requiring improvement in his surroundings "it's all right everybody; your slavey is apprecitated and tolerable because one day god will fix everything. Keep the faith bro".

Weak people using crutches since B.C.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:11 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post

So, what does the word "theory" mean in science?
According to the National Academies of Sciences, "some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by facts gathered over time. Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena".
This is something I wish more people understood. People who say "evolution is only a theory" don't understand that the scientific definition of the word "theory" is not the same as the everyday usage of the word.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:11 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
And...the earth is at the center of the solar system.
So . . You're against earth-esteem?

Old 10-27-2015, 01:12 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicornnn View Post
You will never hear this stupidity (intelligent design, creationism) discussed in Canada.
So, it's your contention that nobody in Canada believes in a creator or supernatural force; therefore, there is no discussion of it?

From my understanding of Canada. I was always under the assumption they had religious people and even churches.

Hmmm, I guess I'll need to do a little research about Canadian culture to see which of us is "stupid" in regards to Canada.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:19 PM

Ouch, it appears as though around two thirds of Canadians claim to be Christian - The second-largest religious faith in Canada? Nothing | Globalnews.ca

It looks like Unicornnn isn't that familiar with Canada.

--------------------------

On another note:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land, glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee;
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada! Where pines and maples grow,
Great prairies spread and Lordly rivers flow!
How dear to us thy broad domain,
From East to Western sea!
The land of hope for all who toil,
The true North strong and free!
God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

O Canada! Beneath thy shining skies,
May Stalwart sons, and gentle maidens rise.
To keep thee steadfast thro’ the years,
From East to Western sea.
Our own beloved native land,
Our true North strong and free!

Ruler supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our Dominion, in thy loving care.
Help us to find, O God, in thee,

A lasting rich reward.
As waiting for the better day,
We ever stand on guard.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:20 PM

674 posts, read 611,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, it's your contention that nobody in Canada believes in a creator or supernatural force; therefore, there is no discussion of it?

From my understanding of Canada. I was always under the assumption they had religious people and even churches.

Hmmm, I guess I'll need to do a little research about Canadian culture to see which of us is "stupid" in regards to Canada.
I think what she's saying is that Canadians, whether they are religious or not, don't waste time with ridiculously dumb suggestions like teaching creationism in schools.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:28 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Since "evolution" is a lie, and cannot be proven (it is just a "theory" and a ridiculous one at that), it should not be taught as fact.
I have my doubts that you understand what a "scientific theory" is.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
I think what she's saying is that Canadians, whether they are religious or not, don't waste time with ridiculously dumb suggestions like teaching creationism in schools.
Really?

Canadian schools get low grade on teaching evolution | Vancouver Sun

Quote:
A whopping 24 per cent of Canadians told pollsters they believe in Creationism, which translates as the belief the Biblical God supernaturally created the world 6,000 years ago.
Quote:
This is not only the case in many conservative Christian and other religious schools, where publicly-funded teachers often give Creationism as much credence or more than Darwinian-based evolutionary theory.
Creationism can be taught with evolution: Tory | CTV Toronto News

Quote:
TORONTO - There is no reason creationism could not be taught in addition to evolution and "other theories" if private religious schools are brought into Ontario public school boards, Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory said Wednesday.
It appears to me that the proposed "Canadians don't waste time with ridiculously dumb suggestions" isn't as cut and dry as some try to suggest.

It appears to me that this is also something that is at least discussed, if not debated, in Canada.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Religion based creation theories should not be taught in a science class. If there is a place for them in a public school setting it would be in more of a cultural studies or history class. With that being said I would hope that when teaching about evolution that students would be taught about the evidence both for and against the evolutionary process as it has been traditionally understood as well as some of the alternate theories about what role evolution had played in the advancement of life on our planet. What I mean by that is that there are some holes in some evolutionary lines that cannot be explained by the traditional "slow, steady purely by accident or cumulative mutation" understanding of the evolutionary process. There are alternate theories that evolution sometimes happens in short sharp bursts after long periods of relative genetic stagnation as well as theories that the changes brought about by evolution are at least partially driven by programming in our DNA and not exclusively by random mutation. The theory of evolution has taken us closer to understanding how we have come to be what we are but it has not taken us all the way there. There is still much more left for us to learn.
Nicely put!

As for me -- a former science teacher who actually taught evolution -- I think evolution is what should be taught in science classes...with CONTEXT. So for example. in a science text there could be a page that briefly discusses historical thought (and this would include a few sentences about the views of major world religions -- not just Christianity), and a brief discussion of the current "debate" (if it can be called that) about the issue.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The true nitty gritty of this debate should be for the philosophy class in college, not the biology class. Basically the way I see it is modern biology uses evolution as a foundation piece for where they get some of their inferences, so enough evolution should be taught so that the students can be able to figure out where those inferences come from. It shouldn't take up 1/4 of the class time though.
Just curious how you came up with the 1/4 of class time figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies