Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
"Fair" has nothing to do with it.

All of our "rights" have limits and can be regulated. That has been true since the ink was wet on the Constitution.
Funny, I didn't see a constitutional amendment guaranteeing one's rights to text and drive. When there is one of those in there you might have a point. But in the real world, it's much easier to regulate cellphones and save lives than to try to change the constitution of the United States.

Get real.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You are being intentionally naive if you think there isn't an app that some college freshman could design over a weekend that would make the screen go black while the phone is in motion.

That alone would save 10X the people you are trying to save through limiting gun ownership.

Can't you see just how ridiculous you are being? Do you think gun ownership will ever change in this country? Are you willing to fight a civil war over it? Millions of people would die before they let their guns go, it's just the way it is here.
So what about the person sitting in the back seat of a car, can they not use their phone while someone is driving? For something like this to work, it would have to function like the airplane mode where it relies on the operator to put the phone to sleep basically.

But you are right, I am being ridiculous, mass murders clearly aren't anything to worry about, they are just an inconvenience for a small percentage of people. We shouldn't worry about it at all, and access to guns should never be questioned. Heck, we should get rid of background checks because all that does is infringe on the 2nd Amendment.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Gun laws affect the poor the most. The red tape and costs in some cities can be substantial. NYC requires a permit to have a hand gun, not to carry it but to have it. There is $450 non refundable fee for the application, the application can be denied for almost any reason e.g. you have drunken and disorderly on your record from 30 years ago when you were 21. The areas of Chicago with the highest rates of gun crime also have the lowest rates of legal gun ownership.

They are not going to get the second amendment changed. Instead of banning the gun you use backdoor measures, make it outrageously expensive and hard to own one
It still goes against "shall not be infringed"...illegal per the Constitution.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is why you shut down more than just one, so you don't ignore the two that popped up. It isn't a cycle if you shut down as many people as you can that is illegally selling guns because after a while they are all sitting in prison and no one is selling guns.

So we shouldn't bother going after those that sell guns illegally because there are too many of them? That sounds like the weakest excuse I have ever heard.
i dont know if you are being intentionally obstinate, or if you are just being completely stupid. of course you constantly go after illegal gun dealers, just like you constantly go after meth labs. but the problem is that just because you shut down one, two, ten, or ten thousand, doesnt mean the problem goes away. if you had any common sense, which at this point i doubt, you would understand that nature abhors a vacuum. so take out ten thousand illegal gun dealers, and ten thousand more take their place. this is an ongoing problem that will never be solved. same with meth labs, bank robberies, murders, rapes, etc. just because you lock up a bunch of criminals doesnt mean the problem has ended, and that is what you are not getting.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont know if you are being intentionally obstinate, or if you are just being completely stupid. of course you constantly go after illegal gun dealers, just like you constantly go after meth labs. but the problem is that just because you shut down one, two, ten, or ten thousand, doesnt mean the problem goes away. if you had any common sense, which at this point i doubt, you would understand that nature abhors a vacuum. so take out ten thousand illegal gun dealers, and ten thousand more take their place. this is an ongoing problem that will never be solved. same with meth labs, bank robberies, murders, rapes, etc. just because you lock up a bunch of criminals doesnt mean the problem has ended, and that is what you are not getting.
So basically going into the illegal gun business is a great idea because even if you shut down, several other people will just start doing it in your place. Who know the illegal gun business was such a growing industry that had so many people looking to jump into it.

I guess in Spokane, since they started busting meth labs, now every house in Spokane is a meth lab because you know, if one gets busted, then non-criminal people will just magically jump into the business of making meth.

Don't you ever get tired of this myth that if you arrest one, then 5 more are gonna start doing it?

Old 11-03-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
So basically going into the illegal gun business is a great idea because even if you shut down, several other people will just start doing it in your place. Who know the illegal gun business was such a growing industry that had so many people looking to jump into it.

I guess in Spokane, since they started busting meth labs, now every house in Spokane is a meth lab because you know, if one gets busted, then non-criminal people will just magically jump into the business of making meth.

Don't you ever get tired of this myth that if you arrest one, then 5 more are gonna start doing it?
in other words in your utopian world, once criminals are busted they never resurface ever again, and xrime is completely gone from your fair city. yeah i believe that

and dont forget that criminals do get out of jail, and they do go back to doing what got them put in jail in the first place. illegal gun dealers go back to dealing illegal guns, meth cookers go back to cooking meth. but i guess it never happens where you live, since everyone that goes to jail is rehabilitated and leaves prison and becomes a productive member of society.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
in other words in your utopian world, once criminals are busted they never resurface ever again, and xrime is completely gone from your fair city. yeah i believe that

and dont forget that criminals do get out of jail, and they do go back to doing what got them put in jail in the first place. illegal gun dealers go back to dealing illegal guns, meth cookers go back to cooking meth. but i guess it never happens where you live, since everyone that goes to jail is rehabilitated and leaves prison and becomes a productive member of society.
Yep, you are so right, it is a bustling industry to sell guns illegally. I don't know why everyone isn't doing it because we all could be making a killing! And even if you get arrested, you will be back to gun selling in no time, but while in jail, several other people will take your place.

Heck, why arrest anyone for anything if that is the case, more people are just gonna replace them and keep doing the same crimes.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yep, you are so right, it is a bustling industry to sell guns illegally. I don't know why everyone isn't doing it because we all could be making a killing! And even if you get arrested, you will be back to gun selling in no time, but while in jail, several other people will take your place.

Heck, why arrest anyone for anything if that is the case, more people are just gonna replace them and keep doing the same crimes.
please just stop with your complete obstinance. you know the score just like everyone else does, if you dont then you are either 12 years old or your are ignorant on how things work in this world.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
please just stop with your complete obstinance. you know the score just like everyone else does, if you dont then you are either 12 years old or your are ignorant on how things work in this world.
Well I know that you are incorrect and somehow you manage to continue on with your myth as if it is truth. I can't explain that, but then again, I don't really care.

So why bother going after someone selling guns illegally if more will start selling guns illegally if that one person is arrested?

Old 11-04-2015, 12:14 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
So what about the person sitting in the back seat of a car, can they not use their phone while someone is driving? For something like this to work, it would have to function like the airplane mode where it relies on the operator to put the phone to sleep basically.
Well you're going to require all gun owners to undergo psychological evaluations even though they're not all responsible for mass shootings, why should vehicle passengers be treated differently? After all it's in the public's interest to prevent drivers causing accidents texting and driving.

Quote:
But you are right, I am being ridiculous, mass murders clearly aren't anything to worry about, they are just an inconvenience for a small percentage of people. We shouldn't worry about it at all, and access to guns should never be questioned. Heck, we should get rid of background checks because all that does is infringe on the 2nd Amendment.
Well in the grand scheme of things wrong with this country, they're small potatoes. The homicide rate for African American males is around 36/100,000. If we could bring that down to everyone else in the US levels we'd save around 6500 lives a year, and increase the national average life expectancy by a few years and perhaps a decade within the African American Demographic. Who could argue with that? Certainly it would appear to be of far greater significance than mass shootings, or should be. But clearly they don't matter to you, because I don't see you banging your drum about all those homicides. Is it that it will never affect you, so you don't really care, or is it because you just don't care about African Americans being killed? I'm asking a serious question, why don't you appear to care about the 6500 excess homicides within the African American male community, but you care enough about the hundreds (at most) of people killed in mass homicides to write reply after reply after reply stating the same things again and again and again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies