Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:05 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Loss of manufacturing to other countries for cheaper wages and and work force that doesn't have the technical skills to acquire decent paying jobs are both part of the problem.
You specifically said:
Quote:
We have an income equality problem, undeniable but some wnat to blame it on those at the bottom for not working hard enough.
I merely explained why wages are persistently low for those at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it's a supply and demand problem. There's a glut of low/uneducated, unskilled labor. Too much supply is keeping wages low.

Two factors are contributing to that problem:

1) The poor are over-reproducing. Women receiving public assistance, as a group, have a birth rate 3 times higher than women who don't receive public assistance. Than, in itself has led to the additional problem of nearly half of all U.S. births being paid for by Medicaid (health program for the poor). 70% of those kids will never rise out of poverty, even as adults.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/32045595-post217.html

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

Only 30% of those born poor ever make it to the middle class

2) Millions of undereducated, low-skilled immigrants both legal and illegal are also competing for those same jobs.
Quote:
Addtionally the top few percent received most of the increases over the last several decades while the middle class stagnated.
Beings as John and Jane Worker and Jack and Jill Retiree, in aggregate, are the majority of corporate shareholders ($24 trillion invested in their pension funds and retirement accounts), I'm not sure why they don't make their voices heard on that via their proxy votes for corporations' Boards of Directors. If too much in compensation increases are going to the top executives, vote for a Board of Directors who will change that.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 11-02-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You specifically said:
I merely explained why wages are persistently low for those at the bottom.

Beings as John and Jane Worker and Jack and Jill Retiree, in aggregate, are the majority of corporate sharholders ($24 trillion invested in their pension funds and retirement accounts), I'm not sure why they don't make their voices heard on that via their proxy votes for corporations Boards of Directors. If too much in compensation increases are going to the top executives, vote for a Board of Directors who will change that.
Some of the larger pension funds can have an impact on boards but not the individual investors. Very difficult to get other than the usual cronies at these companies and the executive compensations are usually passed without incident. Company suceeds they win, company fails they win and get a paid vacation.

This was one of the few where the California Pension Fund took CITIGroup's CEO to task, we need more.

Quote:
CalPERS was among a number of Citigroup shareowners that publicly rebuffed Citigroup’s executive pay package at their annual meeting this week. Anne Simpson, CalPERS Director of Corporate Governance, outlined why the pension fund, which holds ten million shares of Citigroup stock, voted against the $14.9 million pay package for Citi’s CEO Vakram Pandit. Simpson explains that CalPERS is concerned about a lack of transparency and the failure of Citigroup to anchor pay to performance

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/news.../2012/newshour

Old 11-02-2015, 11:31 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Some of the larger pension funds can have an impact on boards but not the individual investors. Very difficult to get other than the usual cronies at these companies and the executive compensations are usually passed without incident. Company suceeds they win, company fails they win and get a paid vacation.

This was one of the few where the California Pension Fund took CITIGroup's CEO to task, we need more.

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/news.../2012/newshour
I agree more can be done, but I disagree with the excuse-making. I get proxy forms every year to vote my shares. If I can vote, so can every other pension fund or retirement account shareholder.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:37 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Education can't help everyone. Half of all Americans have below average intelligence. They won't be successful in post-secondary education.
Are you saying we should financially carry these people for the rest of their lives? No thank you. They can learn a trade.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:06 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am insulted by the notion that only the stupid should have to learn a trade. I was a tradesman machinist once upon a time and it was not easy to learn. This trade has become ever more intellectually challenging as computer driven machinery has replaced the South Bend lathe and Bridgeport milling machine. In fact none of the trades are for stupid people. Do you know how to use a shovel all day without hurting your self? A trained laborer does.

Fortunately many tradesman have, in most places, strong unions to keep them from the fate of their nonunion brothers. What we need is stronger unions covering and protection more workers from the greed driven destruction wrought by monopoly business and finance. Then we would have a prosperous working class rich enough to provide the college educated future professionals.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:24 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Are you saying that potential Democrats are too lazy, unmotivated, or uninterested to obtain i.d.?
No, I'm saying that Republicans are desperate and dishonest enough to play the game of marginal disenfranchisement, trying to create laws that keep people likely to vote against them from ever getting to the polls. ACORN was registering large numbers of these sorts of people. They had to be stopped. By any means necessary, including of course fraudulent videos and outright lying. College students and the elderly poor are also such people. Photo-ID laws impact disproportionately on those groups, and only to diminish the numbers of them that actually end up voting. They are at it again now with the case of Evenwel v Abbott. That would stop counting people when drawing representational districts, counting only people who are registered to vote instead. The effect of that would be to shift power out of and away from urban, minority, and presumably more liberal communities and into rural, white, and presumably more conservative communities. This is just how the Republicans operate. To many, it may seem disgusting and disgraceful, but that's just who they are.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
No, I'm saying that Republicans are desperate and dishonest enough to play the game of marginal disenfranchisement, trying to create laws that keep people likely to vote against them from ever getting to the polls. ACORN was registering large numbers of these sorts of people. They had to be stopped. By any means necessary, including of course fraudulent videos and outright lying. College students and the elderly poor are also such people. Photo-ID laws impact disproportionately on those groups, and only to diminish the numbers of them that actually end up voting. They are at it again now with the case of Evenwel v Abbott. That would stop counting people when drawing representational districts, counting only people who are registered to vote instead. The effect of that would be to shift power out of and away from urban, minority, and presumably more liberal communities and into rural, white, and presumably more conservative communities. This is just how the Republicans operate. To many, it may seem disgusting and disgraceful, but that's just who they are.
It is ridiculously easy in this country to obtain a drivers license or photo i.d. I need a photo i.d. to purchase a certain cold medicine I like. If someone is literally so unmotivated that they will not get a photo i.d. they themselves are the ones at fault, not the Republican party.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am insulted by the notion that only the stupid should have to learn a trade. I was a tradesman machinist once upon a time and it was not easy to learn. This trade has become ever more intellectually challenging as computer driven machinery has replaced the South Bend lathe and Bridgeport milling machine. In fact none of the trades are for stupid people. Do you know how to use a shovel all day without hurting your self? A trained laborer does.

Fortunately many tradesman have, in most places, strong unions to keep them from the fate of their nonunion brothers. What we need is stronger unions covering and protection more workers from the greed driven destruction wrought by monopoly business and finance. Then we would have a prosperous working class rich enough to provide the college educated future professionals.
I meant no offence. My husband is a carpenter by trade and kicks himself regularly for not accepting an apprenticeship under an electrician who offered to train him. Those who learn a trade can make decent money even without a college degree. That was what I was trying to convey.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,185,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Long been debunked.
It has never been debunked because every word of it is flat-out cold hard truth. Money and manpower for border defense and patrols have been ramped up dramatically over what was done by Bush. Simple "returns" -- the "catch and release" program that Bush favored re people being snagged at the border -- are down, partly because of the economy and partly because the chances of success in crossing the border have become lower since Obama, leading fewer to try it. "Removals" meanwhile -- where they actually take your name and create a record that will be flagged by the criminal justice system if you are ever seen here again -- are at all-time highs. Your own source confirms these facts. Did you even bother to read it?

Quote:
Obama also wants to give a "path to citizenship" to 11 million illegal aliens.
LOL! There MAY have been as many as 11 million illegals in the country at the start of 2013 when Obama put forward the subject proposal. There are not now, and of course, nowhere near all illegals would have qualified for it.

Quote:
And has recently limited deportations to only include convicted felons and the like.
That part is true. Focus has been put on the actual bad guys. Imagine that!

Quote:
You should have known that, you know.
To this point, there has been nothing that you know more about than I do. That's a trend that I expect to continue for quite some time. Perhaps indefinitely.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Amazing. A whole thread based on a false attribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies