Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times

Advertisements

TransCanada Shelves Its U.S. Keystone Application

TORONTO (AP) — The company behind the controversial Keystone XL pipeline from Canada to the U.S Gulf Coast has asked the U.S. State Department to pause its review of the project.

TransCanada said Monday a suspension would be appropriate while it works with Nebraska authorities for approval of its preferred route through the state. The move comes before the Obama administration was widely expected to reject it.

For seven years, the fate of the 1,179-mile (1,900 kilometer) long pipeline has languished amid debates over climate change, the intensive process of extracting Alberta's oil and U.S. energy security

The pipeline has long been a flashpoint in the U.S. debate over climate change. Critics oppose the concept of tapping the Alberta oil sands, saying it requires huge amounts of energy and water, increases greenhouse gas emissions.

TransCanada Shelves Its U.S. Keystone Application
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
As I have said before.....

Keystone XL Pipeline is a Canadian company owned pipeline, with Canadian oil being sold to the Asia Pacific rim nations.

It has little to no effect on our ability to be energy independent.

If Republicans had not made this a political issues, it would have passed 6 years ago. Making this a political issue doomed it from the beginning, because it could easily be demonized by the left with no effect on the economy. It created an easy political win for the left.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Keystone XL Pipeline is a Canadian company owned pipeline, with Canadian oil being sold to the Asia Pacific rim nations.

If Republicans had not made this a political issues, it would have passed 6 years ago. Making this a political issue doomed it from the beginning.
Yep. Besides, we don't need it. The minute that I found out that a Canadian company threatened Americans with Eminent Domain, I was against it regardless of whether we needed it or not.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
What is the issue with the route in Nebraska?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. Besides, we don't need it. The minute that I found out that a Canadian company threatened Americans with Eminent Domain, I was against it regardless of whether we needed it or not.
I think Eminent Domain was the issue in Nebraska. This is what I found:

Quote:
But a fresh lawsuit brought by nearly 70 landowners has spurred a Nebraska judge to halt TransCanada’s eminent domain proceedings,
Quote:
“TransCanada sees the writing on the wall,” Jane Kleeb, director of Bold Nebraska, a group fighting the pipeline, said in a statement following the judge’s decision to issue an injunction. “Nebraska landowners are not going to cave to their threats and we will now see them in our Supreme Court to finally get clarity on the legality of a foreign corporation using eminent domain for private gain.”
http://www.newsweek.com/nebraska-jud...tone-xl-306774

Old 11-02-2015, 08:18 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times
About time. Let Canada handle all that dirty and sandy oil.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:

If Republicans had not made this a political issues, it would have passed 6 years ago. Making this a political issue doomed it from the beginning, because it could easily be demonized by the left with no effect on the economy. It created an easy political win for the left.
I saw this today..and finally we ( as Canadian's can move on) can stop listening to Harper's hype about this!! Finally, Canada can move forward and build refineries..transport both East and West Coast. with pipelines transerving across the country..way above most populated area's.....Harper spent and wasted so much time pursuing this XL Pipeline to transport "Dirty Oil" south..thru American lands..only to get refined and shipped out!!! No huge job's..and only OIL Companies profited..and taxpayer's paying that price!!

I just knew..Neither BO nor Hillary wanted this..and was able to delay delay and delay long enough to realize..only Oil Lobbyists were for it and their funded congressional folks..THE Country at large said NOPE.....TY Justin Trudeau!!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I think Eminent Domain was the issue in Nebraska. This is what I found:

http://www.newsweek.com/nebraska-jud...tone-xl-306774
Yep. They tried to threaten Nebraskans with taking the land if they didn't agree to the deal.

Score another one for Obama. He's spent the last seven years CRUSHING the Repubs. Geez...it's like child abuse.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Let us not get carried away. Alberta oil sands are expensive for production and are running into the same problems as the US fracking producers. Expensive production is not viable at present prices. So they are cutting back and conserving funds.

They will be back when the market turns around...though that may not be any time soon.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:

What is bothersome is that our Alaskan crude Oil is being sent to Asia instead :

Alaska's First Crude Oil Export in a Decade Heads to South Korea - WSJ

It isn't the shortage of US Oil but who we are selling it to instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies