Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 07:03 AM

89,446 posts, read 45,130,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I know many black women who are married and not married that surpass the income that you quoted, and they have either chosen or are choosing not to have children because they do not want to subject them to this cruel world. Their experiences have scarred them to the point where they do not want their offspring to have deal with the nonsense that exists here. Quite sad to say the least, but that is a choice that many have made and they are not poor black women.
I hear you on that... I'm white. I have two young adult white children in professional careers who have also chosen to remain childless for the exact same reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,547,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I hear you on that... I'm white. I have two young adult white children in professional careers who have also chosen to remain childless for the exact same reasons.
Not sure how old your children are, but mine are 20 and 30 and one is in college, so he has no thoughts pertaining to having children right now. My daughter on the other hand has said NO due to the reasons mentioned, but I hope it changes before I am on the other side of the earth. She too is college educated and has a professional career.

My heart is for the poor, and the children are not at fault, so the ongoing teaching of young people in challenging areas will always be paramount to me. They did not ask to come here, so in my opinion they are owed and should be given the tools to prosper, and not be frowned upon because they were born into conditions that prevented their prosperity.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:36 AM

29,576 posts, read 9,808,943 times
Quote:
Not sure how old your children are, but mine are 20 and 30 and one is in college, so he has no thoughts pertaining to having children right now. My daughter on the other hand has said NO due to the reasons mentioned, but I hope it changes before I am on the other side of the earth. She too is college educated and has a professional career.

My heart is for the poor, and the children are not at fault, so the ongoing teaching of young people in challenging areas will always be paramount to me. They did not ask to come here, so in my opinion they are owed and should be given the tools to prosper, and not be frowned upon because they were born into conditions that prevented their prosperity.
Well put, but not the sort of "FACTUAL reality" conservatives are at all inclined to consider rationally or pragmatically. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:

The "tools to prosper?" The US has spent Trillions of dollars giving the poor the "tools to prosper." They're still not prospering. Plain and simple.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The "tools to prosper?" The US has spent Trillions of dollars giving the poor the "tools to prosper." They're still not prospering. Plain and simple.
I'm not sure that providing the basics for people struggling with the basics are "tools to prosper," but it seems there is no untangling these notions of yours. Really though? You consider food stamps, for example, "tools to prosper?"

Old 05-25-2016, 12:15 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,547,472 times
Quote:
A child under the age of 18 should not be held responsible for the parents lack of doing for their family. A child needs to be taught what to do.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm not sure that providing the basics for people struggling with the basics are "tools to prosper," but it seems there is no untangling these notions of yours. Really though? You consider food stamps, for example, "tools to prosper?"
Fine. Abolish the food stamp program. It just results in higher levels of adult obesity among the poor, anyway...

adult food stamp recipients have a 44% obesity rate compared to the 33% obesity rate of income-eligible adults who have chosen to NOT receive food stamps, and the 32% obesity rate of those who earn too much to even qualify for food stamps.

Income-eligible adults who get food stamps: 44% obesity rate.
Income-eligible adults who choose to not get food stamps: 33% obesity rate.
Higher-income adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obesity rate.

Exhibit 5, here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

Old 05-25-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
A child under the age of 18 should not be held responsible for the parents lack of doing for their family. A child needs to be taught what to do.
And public schools AREN'T doing that, why...?

Old 05-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
And public schools AREN'T doing that, why...?
Repeating all that same business about SNAP benefits = obesity, you truly give the broken record some serious competition, but no way am I doing those circles again. Here too, I am reminded of one of my favorite sayings, "don't let school get in the way of your education."

I wonder if the same lack of effect would result if you were to talk with some elementary school teachers in poor areas about those challenges...

Right, just like the "snowflake's chance in Hell."

Old 05-25-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Repeating all that same business about SNAP benefits = obesity, you truly give the broken record some serious competition, but no way am I doing those circles again.
Not surprised. You CAN'T refute the FACTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies