Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
You have got to be kidding me. Are you seriously under the impression that one human being can't have a Progressive view on some things and a Conservative view on others? You are proving my point here. The list is way too long and complicated to list in this inane forum, but here are a few examples:

Against invading Iraq and getting involved in 10+ years of war only to destabilize the Middle East
Against supporting Israel or ANY Middle Eastern country
Against regressive Feminism
Against police brutality and over-reaching of government privacy invasion as a whole (Patriot act bs)
I don't believe in "white guilt"
I do believe there is still systematic racism, but it is a complex issue
In favor of stricter gun policy and more intense background tests. It should take as much work to get a gun as it does to get a drivers license. I am against taking away any guns, however.
Increased crack-down on tax breaks corporations receive, and increased taxes on the 1%
Universal healthcare, which will take a while to perfect but is a noble cause
Atheist.
Legalize cannabis. De-fund the DEA.
Reduce military spending. Increase Education and Infrastructure spending.
Make sure our schools are run properly, and teachers are paid well. Make sure religious BS is kept to religion classes. Stop teaching to test for state exams.
Corporations aren't people.
Enforce legal immigration and make it easier to legally become a citizen. Secure the border, but don't spend billions on deporting people like Trump wants.

And on and on and on...you could ask any issue and I have my own educated opinion on it. I probably have a progressive ideology on 70% of issues, but it varies widely. Do you understand nuance yet?
I ask a simple question and I get a storm of condescension.

And then you talk about "nuance."

Maybe you shouldn't assume that other people are so one-dimensional.

I don't think anyone here is in complete lockstep with a single ideology.

Even I believe that a monarch (hopefully myself) shouldn't have absolute power -- only somewhat absolute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 08:18 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
This thread is full of idiotic rhetoric and quite disgusting. I find it sad what this forum has turned into. Anyway, I know there are other sections of this site that are less of a cesspool of crap.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:19 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I ask a simple question and I get a storm of condescension.

And then you talk about "nuance."

Maybe you shouldn't assume that other people are so one-dimensional.

I don't think anyone here is in complete lockstep with a single ideology.

Even I believe that a monarch (hopefully myself) shouldn't have absolute power -- only somewhat absolute.
You can honestly read this forum and say people aren't one dimensional? Good one. I'm going to stop coming here soon, its a bullsh1t fest of radicalism. Not good for sanity.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Not only this, but we have provided weapons and training to areas of the Middle East for years, firstly under Bush. It's hysterical how dimwitted this forum is. I'm guessing the average age is under 15 and over 70..just a few stragglers in between.

You conservatives keep bringing up this college campus BS, and fail to realize that NOT EVERYONE GIVES A SH1T. Not all realist Progressives care whatsoever about that issue right now. We are sick of people being offended by Starbucks and Campbell soup to care about anything else regarding "offensiveness". Stop using this as your own and only argument. Guess what, I'm a Progressive and I don't care about "safe spaces". Stop with the simple minded Team Red and Team Blue RAH RAH RAH mentality. It sounds desperate, childish and uneducated.
The only people I hear go on about the Starbucks cups are liberals. It's another false flag, just as you say the college campus thing is...except the college campus thing so far has already forced one person out of his job for nothing, and groups on several other campuses are calling for the removal of their presidents/deans. So that one goes just a little too far into being an actual problem.

Your last sentence I can completely agree with.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Meanwhile... the gilded one...will to allow 200,000 Muslims into our country...which we have no way of vetting. Allahu Akbar. Fubar!
Quit ringing the paranoid alarm. Muslim does not equal terrorist. Muslims suffer more from radical Islam than any other group

We currently have millions of Muslims here. A million plus Iranians came when the Shah fell. Another few hundred thousand Iraqis. Seems that all are adjusting just fine.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
You can honestly read this forum and say people aren't one dimensional? Good one.
Well, let's see....

Someone sensibly connected the anti-free-speech antics of college students to Islamic radicals who are against freedom in general, and you accused that person of not thinking for him or herself but rather parroting Rush Limbaugh.

You had no basis for that accusation.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The only people I hear go on about the Starbucks cups are liberals. It's another false flag, just as you say the college campus thing is...except the college campus thing so far has already forced one person out of his job for nothing, and groups on several other campuses are calling for the removal of their presidents/deans. So that one goes just a little too far into being an actual problem.

Your last sentence I can completely agree with.
No...you must have missed when the Conservative Darling Trump got a round of applause when he said he wanted to boycott starbucks. It was very much a Conservative issue, many progressives just think it was humorous. Who says I think the dean should have lost his job? I don't agree with these students at all. Lots of Progressives don't agree with them, including myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Quit ringing the paranoid alarm. Muslim does not equal terrorist. Muslims suffer more from radical Islam than any other group

We currently have millions of Muslims here. A million plus Iranians came when the Shah fell. Another few hundred thousand Iraqis. Seems that all are adjusting just fine.
So you think we don't need to thoroughly vet them?

When ISIS has declared its intent to infiltrate them?

549 posts, read 625,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Thr Imam in Chief has been trying to overthrow Assad for 3 years so radical Islamists can take over. Just like he did in Libya.

I had no idea the Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu was an "Imam".

Old 11-14-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Well, let's see....

Someone sensibly connected the anti-free-speech antics of college students to Islamic radicals who are against freedom in general, and you accused that person of not thinking for him or herself but rather parroting Rush Limbaugh.

You had no basis for that accusation.
You missed a million times when I say I don't agree with those college students. But to say they somehow encouraged ISIS to blow up a concert venue in Paris is quite absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies