Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:01 AM

26,504 posts, read 15,084,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
A lot of people seem to be ignoring the real issue here. Terrorism is a result of groups who feel they have no other way to express a view. Yes, terrorism existed before extreme US interventionism, but it's impossible to deny that the problems have become worse, not better, since US involvement in the Middle East.

The way I see it, we have very few viable options. Of these options, I recommend shutting down our borders and completely pulling out of the Middle East. We can still defend our allies, like Israel and Turkey, but we should also want to get them to defend themselves. Another poster said it; ISIS is a result of US foreign policy, granted, they blamed it all on Bush, which isn't really the full story.

It's clear to me that pulling out will cause problems, but staying will make the problems worse. We've created an open sore, and we're letting it festers. We need to stick up this wound; it'll still be ugly, but it is, as far as I can tell, the best option all the same.
France has freedom of speech and democracy.

Some of the terrorists in the recent terrorist events there have been French citizens. They have a say in France, they have a voice in France and chose to read their Quran literally, which advocates violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 07:04 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
As long as our college students feel safe on their liberal campuses in their "safe space", suppressing free speech in the name of "tolerance", we are all hunky dory. Right?

Liberals don't seem to understand that when the Caliphate takes over, free speech will be no more.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:09 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
In America, it's the "liberals" who are tough on terrorism. It was President Obama who successfully nabbed Bin Laden and decimated Al-Qaeda, which ran wild when Dumbya Bush was in office.

Conservatives, meanwhile, want to spend trillions of American taxpayer dollars overthrowing secular dictators (i.e., Saddam Hussein), which de-stabiilizes the Middle East and allows Islamic fundamentalism to run wild. ISIS is the direct result of failed GOP policies in the ME.

And don't take my word for it. Just ask Trump (the current clown leading the GOP freak show). Even he admits it.
Not only this, but we have provided weapons and training to areas of the Middle East for years, firstly under Bush. It's hysterical how dimwitted this forum is. I'm guessing the average age is under 15 and over 70..just a few stragglers in between.

You conservatives keep bringing up this college campus BS, and fail to realize that NOT EVERYONE GIVES A SH1T. Not all realist Progressives care whatsoever about that issue right now. We are sick of people being offended by Starbucks and Campbell soup to care about anything else regarding "offensiveness". Stop using this as your own and only argument. Guess what, I'm a Progressive and I don't care about "safe spaces". Stop with the simple minded Team Red and Team Blue RAH RAH RAH mentality. It sounds desperate, childish and uneducated.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 AM

549 posts, read 457,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Let's go bomb and invade some random countries with ground troops!! That is the obvious thing that we need to do.
No, let's bring 200k Syrian "refugees" to the USA. Wait, Obama is already this and Liberal fascists applaud.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:28 AM

756 posts, read 424,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Stop with the simple minded Team Red and Team Blue RAH RAH RAH mentality. It sounds desperate, childish and uneducated.
...said the person who just spent an entire post telling us how "dimwitted and simple minded" conservatives are.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
...said the person who just spent an entire post telling us how "dimwitted and simple minded" conservatives are.
Yes...those who sit there and identify with every single policy Rush Limbaugh does because he is Conservative are dimwitted and simple minded. Same with anyone who blindly follows one side no matter what...like many on this forum do. There are some Conservative principles I have, and a lot of Progressive principles. Again, I guess that is too nuanced to understand....

Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The French have their problems...we have ours.

And this is their problem.
It may soon be our problem. They've hit France, I wonder where they will hit next.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:36 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
Quote:
Yes...those who sit there and identify with every single policy Rush Limbaugh does because he is Conservative are dimwitted and simple minded. Same with anyone who blindly follows one side no matter what...like many on this forum do. There are some Conservative principles I have, and a lot of Progressive principles. Again, I guess that is too nuanced to understand....
So what are those principles?

Conservative and progressive don't exactly go together.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
So what are those principles?

Conservative and progressive don't exactly go together.
You have got to be kidding me. Are you seriously under the impression that one human being can't have a Progressive view on some things and a Conservative view on others? You are proving my point here. The list is way too long and complicated to list in this inane forum, but here are a few examples:

Against invading Iraq and getting involved in 10+ years of war only to destabilize the Middle East
Against supporting Israel or ANY Middle Eastern country
Against regressive Feminism
Against police brutality and over-reaching of government privacy invasion as a whole (Patriot act bs)
I don't believe in "white guilt"
I do believe there is still systematic racism, but it is a complex issue
In favor of stricter gun policy and more intense background tests. It should take as much work to get a gun as it does to get a drivers license. I am against taking away any guns, however.
Increased crack-down on tax breaks corporations receive, and increased taxes on the 1%
Universal healthcare, which will take a while to perfect but is a noble cause
Atheist.
Legalize cannabis. De-fund the DEA.
Reduce military spending. Increase Education and Infrastructure spending.
Make sure our schools are run properly, and teachers are paid well. Make sure religious BS is kept to religion classes. Stop teaching to test for state exams.
Corporations aren't people.
Enforce legal immigration and make it easier to legally become a citizen. Secure the border, but don't spend billions on deporting people like Trump wants.

And on and on and on...you could ask any issue and I have my own educated opinion on it. I probably have a progressive ideology on 70% of issues, but it varies widely. Do you understand nuance yet?

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 11-14-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-14-2015, 07:39 AM

756 posts, read 424,997 times
Quote:
Oh I understand it, don't flatter yourself. I just think you are being just as childish and dismissive as you accuse others of being
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies