Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:22 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisFrance View Post
I think that public college tuition should cost maximum $5K/yr excluding the cost of room and board. Why can community college be affordable while 4 yr college cannot?! Government should subsidize higher education cost just like it does with many other things without raising taxes. No student should have more than $20K student loans.
If you can't afford to go to college, then you can't attend.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:23 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
What we really need are ways for people to demonstrate to employers that they are bright and diligent enough for the job without having to jump through the ridiculously expensive hoop of university.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
I think that public college tuition should cost maximum $5K/yr excluding the cost of room and board. Why can community college be affordable while 4 yr college cannot?! Government should subsidize higher education cost just like it does with many other things without raising taxes. No student should have more than $20K student loans.
hmmm..

so tuition for HIGHER EDUCATION should only be about $27/day (5000/180days of school( that's 2 semesters)) or $4.5/hr based on a 6 hour day)

are you asking teachers to work for less than min wage???

frack, these school text books can cost up to about $300 per book in some cases

there is an old saying...."""you get what you pay for""""

Old 11-15-2015, 09:43 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Public universities should not charge more than $5,000 a semester. It's ridiculous and now the goverment is eliminating federal loan's. More and more students need to take out private loan's with ludicrous interstate rates. Private schools can charge whatever they like, but statw colleges should be affordable to the general public.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:56 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Where exactly do you think that the government gets the money to subsidize those "many other things"?

Community college is affordable because it's the 13th & 14th grades. Not very specific with who they accept.

Once you get your associates and try to transfer those two years of credits to a 4 year public or private?

You're very, very lucky if you end up as a second semester sophomore.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:03 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Great idea. Let's reduce the food stamps and HUD programs along with subsidizing phones and energy subsidies to pay for the reduction in tuition. But we wont ask professors making over $200k a year ( but only working 7 months a year) to give up any of their salary.

Can students on foreign visas get cheap college or just those paying American taxes? What if room and board along with fees rose astronomically? Would colleges do that if tuition was artificially lowered?

Old 11-15-2015, 10:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I've been hearing a argument back from people on the right that subsidizing higher education has made it more expensive. I'm not sure if they are right or wrong,but I suspect they are right on this. I think we need a different solution then just subsidizing it. I think we need a better solution.
Funny, Arizona has cut and cut and cut spending at state universities in Arizona (Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University and University of Arizona) yet for these schools we have seen costs rise anyway. So yeah it HAS to be because we subsidize education that we see higher education cost more and more each year.

I agree that we need to lower state/public university costs because we should in no way have to take loans out in order to go or in the case of Arizona, have a private university (Grand Canyon University) cost as much as the public options.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
hmmm..

so tuition for HIGHER EDUCATION should only be about $27/day (5000/180days of school( that's 2 semesters)) or $4.5/hr based on a 6 hour day)

are you asking teachers to work for less than min wage???

frack, these school text books can cost up to about $300 per book in some cases

there is an old saying...."""you get what you pay for""""
Textbooks are a racket in their own right with updating ever year to every three based on new chapters being added in and needed passcodes needed being bundled with books ruining the used textbook market. I had good semesters at about under $150 with using different options whether Half, Amazon or Chegg but I've also got burned sometimes too.

As for the problem with the costs, what do you say the price for public institutions should be if you don't want them to be at the least 3 thousand less per semester for tuition and typical fees alone? Maybe we do need to see the 200k professors be removed. After all, some still make money on the textbook racket anyway.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:12 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Funny, Arizona has cut and cut and cut spending at state universities in Arizona (Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University and University of Arizona) yet for these schools we have seen costs rise anyway. So yeah it HAS to be because we subsidize education that we see higher education cost more and more each year.

I agree that we need to lower state/public university costs because we should in no way have to take loans out in order to go or in the case of Arizona, have a private university (Grand Canyon University) cost as much as the public options.
Shrug, its a argument being made, I'm not 100% sold on it, but it does have some history backing up its side of the argument as well. Pointing at one state cutting spending really doesn't change the underlying dynamics that are being pointed too by the other side of the argument. You're discussing state level funding, when the people on the right are discussing money being made available to students for college through guaranteed loans, etc etc.

Additionally the arizona cuts are recent, so of course they are raising tuition to cover what they lost from the state. But what if the money never comes back? Will students refuse to pay the high tuition and go elsewhere causing the university to reduce its costs so they can continue to attract students?

Economics is complex, and some effects are not instant. This topic is a great example of that. Its why its hard to point at one side and say "those people are right"

Old 11-16-2015, 12:30 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Agreed. Simple solution-cut all federal and state aid to universities or colleges that charge more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies