Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times

Advertisements

^^^^ that's the point I wanted somebody to make . thank you sir. Here is the issue . the traditional ways were not beneficial to a segment of our society . people want to protect their interests. In this new society the very people you wish to exclude have used the very things that you used to your benifit to their benifit. Traditional americans are being outworked, out hustled and beaten on the education front. Game over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:31 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
"Traditional" translated means: Steeped in the old ways, old fashion, the desire to keep things the way they were (depending on the era they are nostalgic for), resistant to change. I must admit that I struggle with this because I tend to be a traditionalist (especially the older I get). But, there is a universal fact that I have realized (and many before me already knew) - nothing remains for long. To hold on to the old ways is a fool's errand and a venture that cannot be won. We end up compromising on these old ways and before you know it - it is gone. Turn the page in Human Kind's history book. So I try to embrace change, but temper it with common sense. It is the only path forward.
Exactly!

Consider all the absolutely horrible things that were once defended as "tradition!": slavery, homophobia, subjugation of women (including female circumcision ) , witch hunts, hunting endangered species... On and on, there are/were all sorts of horrible practices and beliefs defended vaguely as "tradition/orthodoxy".

Things change, and admittedly not always, but often for the better. Many traditions deserve to fall into antiquity.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:40 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Exactly!

Consider all the absolutely horrible things that were once defended as "tradition!": slavery, homophobia, subjugation of women (including female circumcision ) , witch hunts, hunting endangered species... On and on, there are/were all sorts of horrible practices and beliefs defended vaguely as "tradition/orthodoxy".

Things change, and admittedly not always, but often for the better. Many traditions deserve to fall into antiquity.
True indeed. Winston Churchill loved 'tradition' as much as anyone, but even he recognized its limits.

When he was First Lord of the Admiralty, at a meeting with admirals, one admiral objected to some very practical changes Churchill wanted to implement, saying the changes violated the traditions of the Royal Navy, to which Churchill responded rather peevishly: "And what are they? Rum, sodomy and the lash!"

Old 11-17-2015, 11:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Traditional Americans huh? Reaaaaal Americans.. The ones who owned slaves ? Just who are you talking about? Just be honest and say it.

Wow, it only took 7 posts in before someone referenced slavery. Slavery has been gone from this nation for 150 years. It's 2015, not 1865, so please join us in the present and stop blaming folks alive now that nothing to do with what happened back then and laying blame on us for the sins of folks long dead.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:12 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Oh, wah, wah, wah! Effing crybaby. As a middle-aged white male I'm glad our demo is on the decline. I'm an atheist minimalist, so I never identified with bourgeois whites anyway.

People just aren't as stupid as they used to be. More people understand god probably doesn't exist, ethnic minorities aren't enemies, and things are better when society is more egalitarian, including reproductive whites for women.

Yes, the traditional whites are no longer the majority. Good riddance.

Guilty conscience or something?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Wow, it only took 7 posts in before someone referenced slavery. Slavery has been gone from this nation for 150 years. It's 2015, not 1865, so please join us in the present and stop blaming folks alive now that nothing to do with what happened back then and laying blame on us for the sins of folks long dead.
The Civil War freed the slaves and now they are using that to enslave themselves.
Do you see the irony here ?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Guilty conscience or something?
No, I'm just tired of whiny white-people, most of whom are better off than other ethnic groups who don't realize how relatively well-off they are. Whites, especially white males, still have higher-incomes and face less discrimination and prejudice than minorities.

Sorry, but white people complaining about how bad they have it is just plain delusional. Yes, some whites are born into poverty, but minorities are far more likely to be underprivileged.

Quote:
You're missing the point entirely. Slavery was once defended as 'tradition' by slave owners. Same-sex couples were denied full legal equality for the same reason. Just because something is traditional doesn't mean it's defensible. That's all we're arguing.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
^^^^ that's the point I wanted somebody to make . thank you sir. Here is the issue . the traditional ways were not beneficial to a segment of our society . people want to protect their interests. In this new society the very people you wish to exclude have used the very things that you used to your benifit to their benifit. Traditional americans are being outworked, out hustled and beaten on the education front. Game over.
Seems to me the old traditional family of mother, father and children was very beneficial in many ways.

I disagree about education though. Traditional students taking science, engineering and math vs women's studies and cannabis cultivation will be able to compete with the foreign students in the global economy.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Exactly!

Americans have seemed to have chucked ALL traditions.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Americans have seemed to have chucked ALL traditions.
You mean like Christmas? Oh, wait, yeah, most Americans still recognize that. Halloween? Yup! There are still numerous festivities. Thanksgiving? Another benign holiday that's still widely celebrated. Oh, you mean July 4th! Oh, wait, still plenty of fireworks.

Benign and beneficial traditions are fine. Destructive traditions that perpetuate things like racism, sexism, and homophobia are not. See the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Seems to me the old traditional family of mother, father and children was very beneficial in many ways.

I disagree about education though. Traditional students taking science, engineering and math vs women's studies and cannabis cultivation will be able to compete with the foreign students in the global economy.
Actually, studies have shown children are better off with a loving and competent same-couple than an absent, inept heterosexual one. The quality of the parents is more relevant than their genders.

I do agree about education: Focusing on math/science related fields is far more practical than fluffy like liberal arts. Cannabis cultivation is fairly practical though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies