Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If we have an attack like Paris, do you still support your decision to allow Syrains to immigrate in
Yes, I still support my decision 28 25.23%
No, I would change my mind 3 2.70%
Neither, I don't support the decision to let Syrians immigrate 80 72.07%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:53 PM

756 posts, read 424,997 times

Advertisements

So let's say we let the new wave of Syrian immigrants in. We do the background checks and screening to the best of our ability and these people settle into various places around the country.
Then we have an attack, similar to what happened in Paris, hundreds dead. We can trace the perpetrators back to the recent immigrants with certainty.

In hindsight do you regret your support for the immigration or does your position remain unchanged?
Is this an acceptable consequence of this decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 03:08 AM

Wow, not many takers, huh?
Some people discussing this appear to support taking in refugees but they aren't honest with themselves to answer the question: if we had an attack like Paris just did as a result of taking in the Syrians and we could trace it to them, would you still stand by your decision?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:27 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
If we have an attack, liberals will just blame Bush.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,417 times
Why become anti-refugee just because a terrorist attack might happen?

Theres a lot of things that could be banned because they might cause a terrorist attack.

When did people become so terrified as to compramise their values just in case something bad happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
Wow, not many takers, huh?
?
You posted something in the early morning and waited like 15 minutes for a response. Don't be ridiculous.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Why become anti-refugee just because a terrorist attack might happen?

Theres a lot of things that could be banned because they might cause a terrorist attack.

When did people become so terrified as to compramise their values just in case something bad happens?

You posted something in the early morning and waited like 15 minutes for a response. Don't be ridiculous.

I didn't say might. It's hypothetical, asking you to think through your position or at least clarify it...

If you approve of letting the new Syrians in and later on down the road we have a terrorist attack like Paris that we can trace to this new batch of immigrants, do you still stand by your decision?

We have the same values, the fact of the matter is that we CAN'T properly screen and vet these refugees and the saftey and security of American citizens should be job number one.

I didn't post this in the early morning I posted it yesterday.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:44 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
"Charity starts at home !" We can't fix all the world's problems or help every single person on this planet, we have enough of our own at home struggling and dying.

I'm sorry that the people who are fleeing had the terrible misfortune to be born in that armpit of the world, but I also do not want to add to our problems here by being the Savior of the World. We would be taking on more that just the potential for criminal acts, there are the economic and medical issues to consider as well.

Don

Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
I agree letting refugees in. What I am not in favor of is the federal goverments' response in doing so. I am not in favor of the goverment forcing states to house refugees., exhaust state resources/economy, and turn away help from the neglected in these state's. I am not in favor of the lack of scrunity and how they monitor those entering the country from Syria. I am not in favor of how they responded to the ISIS attacks in Paris and how they continue to turn a blind eye to ISIS instead focus on climate change.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,463 times
IMO, our government is just begging for a Paris-style attack here. I fully expect we'll see one in the near future. To those who approve of bringing these refugees in, you might want to ask yourself why the vast majority of these people are military-aged men. Where are the women, children, and elderly? https://refugeeresettlementwatch.wor...urope-are-men/

Old 11-18-2015, 05:31 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Your question is flawed. The refugees in Europe go through a very different process (or I should say "don't go through").

The people they are talking about bringing in go through an 18-24 month vetting process, and are mostly women, children and families. I agree with those who say we should pause and make sure we are being careful. I think we already are doing that, but there is always room for improvement. I DON'T think we should change the values this country was founded on based on fears, many of which are based on false premise.

I think focusing on refugee based violence in the USA while ignoring domestic violence is misguided at best. If your goal of preventing domestic violence is genuine, then look at the source of it. It's absolutely possible that a displaced refugee may at some time commit an act of terrrorism, but statistically, it is much more likely a US Citizen will do it.

Our country is founded by political refugees. We need to be careful, smart, and still find a way to not compromise our values or our safety. It won't be accomplished by scapegoating or kneejerk political grandstanding.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:33 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
what shall we do about the home grown terrorists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies