Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:16 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I already tried to post a thread about this...mods shut it down and said it didn't belong here. See my "Here it comes" thread down yonder. I guess we need 800 threads about refugees, and when something else is brought up it gets "moved" (who knows where to)
i guess the 'move to a proper forum' is still pending?

don't see why your thread was closed, mods are getting too way much coffee these days or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:19 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i guess the 'move to a proper forum' is still pending?

don't see why your thread was closed, mods are getting too way much coffee these days or something.
Yep, I tried to post a similar one in "Health and Wellness", but 2 people go there a day, and the one that replied said "you know there's a food forum, right"? Again, 867 thread echochambers about ISIS later, one thread I make trying to promote intelligent conversation about a different controversy/issue gets "moved" into purgatory.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:10 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Yep, I tried to post a similar one in "Health and Wellness", but 2 people go there a day, and the one that replied said "you know there's a food forum, right"? Again, 867 thread echochambers about ISIS later, one thread I make trying to promote intelligent conversation about a different controversy/issue gets "moved" into purgatory.
you can go to the 'about the forum' section and voice your concern but it will do no good. take it from someone who has tried

anyway, back to the topic.
the antibiotic resistance issue is something that is easily ignored until we finally 1) reach the last remaining antibiotic that still works - this appears to have happened in china recently - and 2) enough people start getting sick and/or dying from newly resistant bacterial strains that it can't be ignored.

that last one hasn't happened yet but eventually it will.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you can go to the 'about the forum' section and voice your concern but it will do no good. take it from someone who has tried

anyway, back to the topic.
the antibiotic resistance issue is something that is easily ignored until we finally 1) reach the last remaining antibiotic that still works - this appears to have happened in china recently - and 2) enough people start getting sick and/or dying from newly resistant bacterial strains that it can't be ignored.

that last one hasn't happened yet but eventually it will.
Unfortunately, I don't think many (if any) of the people arguing that it is a non issue or "conspiracy theory" have worked in an ICU setting in a large, urban hospital. I have seen plenty of patients die from VISA/VRSA, MRSA pneumonia (very young people put on ECMO and never recovering), and most recently, CRE (carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae). It's only getting worse

Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Quote:
If you call me a "conspiracy theorist" for that simple fact, I have nothing to say to you because you truly don't know what you are talking about.
I'm calling you a conspiracy theorist because you're going against the advice of your government and scientists who know more than you, who all assure you it's safe.

You don't know anything about science. If you did, you'd agree with the consensus science community which assures you that it's a safe and effective agricultural practice. Safe food endorsed by your government that knows more than you do must not mean anything to you.

Make a tinfoil hat, conspiracy theorist.

Last edited by mm4; 11-20-2015 at 08:57 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 08:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Omg.
As a physician, I can assure you that I know this.

The op used the example of world-wide epidemic lethal PINK EYE as his example.
I am explaining why I think it's a crappy example. Because what's commonly known as pink eye is not typically bacterial (NO ONE says, "I'm treating this bacterial pink eye with gent drops"). When you say pink eye in a medical setting, it's to imply you think it's viral.

Gonorrhea on the other hand...now that's going to be a biiiiiiig problem.

Quote:
Viral and bacterial pinkeye are contagious and spread very easily.
Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis) Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

One of two times I took antibiotics was because I had pink eye caused by a bacterial infection. And Gonorrhea would be no big problem at all because it is sexually transmitted, and STDs are well known to the public and can be stopped easily.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:34 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Faith in government. A short read for your challenged mind:

Gun Control Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
I'm calling you a conspiracy theorist because you're going against the advice of your government and scientists who know more than you, who all assure you it's safe.

You don't know anything about science. If you did, you'd agree with the consensus science community which assures you that it's a safe and effective agricultural practice. Safe food endorsed by your government that knows more than you do must not mean anything to you.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:34 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
ISIS terrorists can be stopped at airports, can be stopped by police, could experience equipment failure etc and even if they do succeed, what's the most they can do? Kill a few hundred to about a thousand or so people.

What about that which can and will kill HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people and may well throw our civilization back to the dark ages? Or at least, the dark ages of medicine?

In China, what has finally appeared? Bacteria that is immune to EVERY SINGLE ANTIBIOTIC. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

And this is a general mutation that could hop into other strains of bacteria. Basically, in five years or so, we're going to see people in the prime of their lives dying from Pink-Eye and Salmonella.

And where is Washington on this? Where are the candidates? Where are the people flipping out and demanding action? Cue the crickets!

Scientists literally have to go back to the drawing board and come up with new antibiotics, and fast. This mutation is GUARANTEED to spread, and at best it may be delayed by a few years.

But by all means, continue to be terrified of the Syrian refugees, the Mexicans, the "evil 1%" or whatever else your favorite demagogues from either party are going on about. Ignore the real threat and remain the mindless pack of sheeple society has turned you into.

Antibiotic resistance: World on cusp of 'post-antibiotic era' - BBC News
"Bacteria" Wash your mouth out!

Old 12-13-2015, 09:53 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri95 View Post
Nature's way of balance. China's population is too big. Now if only we can harness that in a weapon to send to ISIS, Iran, and Saudi Arabia, Oh, and Gaza too.
I'd agree but; China's working pop has been DROPPING in real numbers since about 2011 because of its family size rules.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:22 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post

They don't understand you are using their flawed logic against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies