Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If one has a passport from one of 38 countries with 30 year old reciprocal visa- free travel, one can enter the US easily for tourism and business, unless on an international " No Fly" List which is as good as the intellegence of the country supplying the information.

The young woman who detonated herself this week in Paris was a French National of Moroccon ancestry. She smoked She drank. She danced in clubs She had sex. She wore western clothes. She took a selfie of herself naked in a bathtub this past June. Yet, in a matter of months she was radicalized and participated in the Paris attack.

Nothing would have prevented her entry into the US. The South Beach international party crowd in Miami would have welcomed this attractive French tourist, with open arms.
People tend to think what they are told to think. Right now they are being told to be concerned about the Syrian refugees, although they are screened more thoroughly that anyone. So, we can cut the "flow' of refugees from 1% of applicants to 0%, but more obvious, and easier entry points are being ignored. Evangelical Christians are telling the GOP they disagree with their stance on Syrian refugees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 07:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Reid has already said he will not allow it to come up for a vote.
Sadly yes, Harry Reid will block the bill.

Harry Reid vowed to block the House bill if it is considered by the upper chamber after the Thanksgiving recess.

“The problem is not with refugees,” Reid said. “I don’t think we’ll be dealing with it over here.”

When asked about the prospect of Obama vetoing the legislation, Reid said, “Don’t worry, it won’t get passed. Next question?”

House defies Obama, approves bill halting Syrian refugees | TheHill

Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
I think my mistake was saying "congess" instead of just the house. And, if I remember correctly if a bill is passed by the house and the senate and is signed by the president, or his veto is overtuned by 2/3 majority, then it becomes a law. Or something like that..

It doesn't answer my original question but I can see people dont want to entertain it..
Gumisgood, I answered part of your question.

Quote:
The House passed the bill with bipartisan votes now it has to go to the Senate but that's where Obama can use his phone and get Harry Reid to block it from coming up for a vote like he's done so many times before.

The issue is too hot so I would be surprised if he would do that but Harry Reid made it clear he stands with the president and will rally Democrats to vote it down so it doesn't get to Obama's desk. Essentially it comes down to how many Democrats are up for vote in 2016. Are they willing to throw their careers down the tubes to stand with Obama.
Since I just heard that Harry Reid won't bring it up for a vote I have to change it a little.

The House passed the bill with bipartisan votes now it has to go to the Senate but that's where Obama can use his phone and get Harry Reid to block it from coming up for a vote like he's done so many times before.

Harry Reid made it clear he stands with the president so it won't get to Obama's desk for his veto. Harry Reid is also protecting Senate Democrats from having to vote in the first place.

If it were to get to Obama's desk and he veto's it, then it can be over-ridden and passed. Reid job is to prevent from getting to Obama's desk in the first place. In other words, give Obama his way regardless of how the people feel.

This is what Obama meant by "I have a pen and I have a phone". This is why nothing gets done. That's how Obama's been getting away with so much.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:51 AM

906 posts, read 713,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

The issue is too hot so I would be surprised if he would do that but Harry Reid made it clear he stands with the president and will rally Democrats to vote it down so it doesn't get to Obama's desk. Essentially it comes down to how many Democrats are up for vote in 2016. Are they willing to throw their careers down the tubes to stand with Obama.
I want to ask how that is allowed and not an abuse of power, to not bring a bill to the senate after it has passed the house on the advice of the president, but perhaps I should just google it

Old 11-20-2015, 07:53 AM

756 posts, read 425,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The young woman who detonated herself this week in Paris was a French National of Moroccon ancestry. She smoked She drank. She danced in clubs She had sex. She wore western clothes. She took a selfie of herself naked in a bathtub this past June. Yet, in a matter of months she was radicalized and participated in the Paris attack.
Yet another reason why letting the Syrian refugees in is a BAD idea.
We can't properly background check them and even if we could and no flags were raised, they may well become radical after they are already here.

Sure, let's open the door to tens of thousands of people whose religion and culture make them a ticking time bomb.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,167 times
What is so important about the Syrian refugee program that President Obama would veto this bill?
If the process really takes 2 years we are not saving these people from some immediate danger.
Who can possible believe the vetting process can be that secure? Have all of the ISIS sympathizers put there name in an easy database for us to check against? Of course not. Do we know who in Syria has been attending what types of meetings?
I really love when they throw out the term biometrics. What in the world is it testing against? But it sounds high tech and thorough.

I say the best plan is to help them where they are.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:02 AM

39,084 posts, read 51,266,875 times
The House bill is not a serious proposal. It is a ploy by Republicans to turn what should be a thoughtful discussion on security and compassion into fodder for the campaign. It will fail in the Senate and never get to Obama. Fortunately, there are clearer heads and less partisan leadership in the Senate and there will be bills coming forth to deal with the issue of potential terrorists entering our country that are measured and hopefully effective.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
I want to ask how that is allowed and not an abuse of power, to not bring a bill to the senate after it has passed the house on the advice of the president, but perhaps I should just google it
No problem asking, it's better than not asking, never take the media's word for anything.

People have been complaining about Obama's abuse of power but the media covers for Obama and Reid which allows further abuse of power.

The House passed 352 bills that sat on Harry Reid's desk, Harry Reid would not bring bills passed by a bipartisan House up for a vote in the Senate. Reid obstructed and got away with it because the media would blame and call congress "A Do Nothing Congress", specifically blaming republicans when in fact they were working but bills collected dust on Harry Reid's desk if Obama didn't like the bill. The three are in bed together to give Obama what he wants.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:03 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's a bill designed to fail. The current vetting process for the refugees takes 2 years and less than 1% of the applicants are accepted, and this bill would require heads of FBI etc get involved in reviewing individual cases, which would make it impossible for any refugee to be allowed in.
Do you have a source for this?

From a CBS article

Quote:
The approval rate for refugees seeking asylum in the United States currently stands at just over 50 percent, senior administration officials said. The process for obtaining refugee status in the United States typically takes 18 to 24 months.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The House bill is not a serious proposal. It is a ploy by Republicans to turn what should be a thoughtful discussion on security and compassion into fodder for the campaign. It will fail in the Senate and never get to Obama. Fortunately, there are clearer heads and less partisan leadership in the Senate and there will be bills coming forth to deal with the issue of potential terrorists entering our country that are measured and hopefully effective.
Wow, so you think that the campaign is all they are worried about, not the security and preventing deaths of Americans? They should just ignore the threats?

"American blood is best, and we will taste it soon"
-- ISIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies