Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
i think a great plan would be to allow anyone who wants to opt out of UHC to sign a disclaimer saying they will NEVER use the UHC facilities. This should be put on a Data Base and when they are older or they need care at anytime they would be barred from using ANY UHC hospital or facility. The shoe would very soon be on the other foot. If you say there is no Choice in UHC you are sooo wrong. I use UHC all the time and my choices are endless.
Here is the problem: Most of our health care facilites are owned by PRIVATE companies. We have, unlike the UK, VERY FEW government own hospitals.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
300 million would not be contributing.

Yet you want to cover 300 million

UHI will break the back of the US finances
You're right.. BUT.. what is our employment rate at right now.. EVERYONE WORKING AND GETTING A PAYCHECK will be contributing. PERIOD! Yeah. that may mean some that aren't will be carried.. like children.. But then EVERY CHILD DESERVES A FAIR CHANCE AT A HEALTHY LIFE. and guess what.. they'll grow up to become working contributing citizens who will then ALSO contribute to the system as well..

Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Here is the problem: Most of our health care facilites are owned by PRIVATE companies. We have, unlike the UK, VERY FEW government own hospitals.
And those hospitals can decide to become UHI or remain private.

But remember...those private hospitals are suffering under the current system and sorely needs to be fixed as well.. under UHI it may run more efficiently, etc.

If they want to remain private.. then they can and all tose that pay for thier insurance can go to them if they feel it will be so much better..but it won't.

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Medical decisions would be made by Dr's NOT insurance companies that care only about profit.. politicians wouldn't decide on medical issues AT ALL!
What about physician run labs, radiology services? Many doctors are in it for the money, many hospitals like to run full beds if they can get by with it to increase their own profits or justify having a full staff.

I don't want doctors deciding they can just run every test -- or perform a few extra surgeries when their next European vacation is coming up and they know there's no one to question them and they will be paid no matter what.

One of the problems in our health care was that there was incredible waste. Patients were spending two weeks in a hospital for open heart surgery, women were having 1 week stays for maternity visits. Insurance companies began to change some of that around -- and people actually do better staying fewer days -- getting up and out and back into their own homes where there are fewer infectious organsims.

Quote:
HUH.. that doesn't make any sense.. different needs or choices.. so if I have a genetic disorder, regardless of wether I can pay more or not i'm forced to pay more.. and if I can't afford it then I should just DIE and not get treatment because I can't afford it?
What might happen though under UHI (and this has been proven in Canada and the UK) - you may very well have to wait for treatment for your condition.

Example: Recently, a member of the Canadian parliment, who had a heart condition, was put on a waiting list for treatment - her condition worsened - yet, she remained on a waiting list.

She came to the United States, was treated, and is fine. She saw a Doctor in the US the day she arrived, and was hospitalized the same day.

In Canada - she would have been left to die.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 PM

and it would be more efficient because you wuold have a single payer system, eliminating alot of unneccesary double paperwork, etc. That would cut down operating cost enormously . You also wouldn't have the issue of those that are uninsured coming in, getting treatment and never paying their bill therby making the hospital EAT IT.. so to speak.. because guess what.. the UHI will pay for every pateint that walks through the door!

Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
You're right.. BUT.. what is our employment rate at right now.. EVERYONE WORKING AND GETTING A PAYCHECK will be contributing.
Really? And, what about those who work - but don't get a paycheck?

What about those who will not pay into your system?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
And those hospitals can decide to become UHI or remain private.

But remember...those private hospitals are suffering under the current system and sorely needs to be fixed as well.. under UHI it may run more efficiently, etc.

If they want to remain private.. then they can and all tose that pay for thier insurance can go to them if they feel it will be so much better..but it won't.
Look - your emotional on this issue. Understandable. But, you also are unaware of what the real world is

Here in AZ - we have some of the best hospitals in the world - and they are profitable - they are not "hurting". They are full.

We do not need to change our system - We do not need UHI.

We can make provisions for the small minority of people without insurance without changing the system

Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
What might happen though under UHI (and this has been proven in Canada and the UK) - you may very well have to wait for treatment for your condition.

Example: Recently, a member of the Canadian parliment, who had a heart condition, was put on a waiting list for treatment - her condition worsened - yet, she remained on a waiting list.

She came to the United States, was treated, and is fine. She saw a Doctor in the US the day she arrived, and was hospitalized the same day.

In Canada - she would have been left to die.
What makes you think that suddenly you will have more people get sick now under a UHI plan then before. Maybe they have a shortage of Dr's that have NOTHING to do with UHI.

That argument doesn't make sense.. the hospitals are there and will be there treating patients.. you're not going to suddenly find that more people are flooding medical facilities because you have UHI.. I just don't get that argument AT ALL!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
and it would be more efficient because you wuold have a single payer system, eliminating alot of unneccesary double paperwork, etc. That would cut down operating cost enormously . You also wouldn't have the issue of those that are uninsured coming in, getting treatment and never paying their bill therby making the hospital EAT IT.. so to speak.. because guess what.. the UHI will pay for every pateint that walks through the door!
Sorry - I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.