Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 07:56 PM

24,439 posts, read 23,098,542 times

Advertisements

I didn't see any protests from these people when the homeless guy who had a knife in Arizona was gunned down so I have a hard time tolerating their protests over this Chicago shooting.
This video was damning but not as bad as I had thought it would be. The guy was brandishing a knife and acting erratically and MAY well have HAD to have been gunned down. But it was clearly sloppy police work and showed a trigger happy/ panicky cop who was way too eager to shoot and kill somebody or displayed **** poor judgment. Was it based on racism? That's very hard to prove and not nearly as likely as he was just a ****ty cop who fired in panic or was kill happy. Had the cop waited and not fired so many times, he'd have been in the clear.
What needed to be done? Certainly taze him. Release a police dog on him. Stop him, surround him and then shoot him if he didn't drop the knife. The guy was dangerous, no doubt about that. He was armed, erratic and in the act of crime and on drugs.
But this is about bad police conduct rather than anything else. So you racists on both sides please **** and leave the case to be discussed on the facts of the case.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 PM

26,540 posts, read 15,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Strange thing that we don't see a lot of black cops involved in irrational shootings of citizens. I wonder why that is...?
The national media doesn't pick it up when it happens. Remember, a black cop shooting an unarmed white kid in Utah?

If it bleeds it leads, if it is sensational due to story lines (victimhood)...there are no Al Sharptons doing this same kind of race baiting.

Hopefully, all of the protests stay peaceful, we don't need violence and riots destroying neighborhoods, we need a fair court case where if he is guilty he gets the appropriate punishment.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,092,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The national media doesn't pick it up when it happens. Remember, a black cop shooting an unarmed white kid in Utah?
The difference is, there isn't a pattern of black cops shooting whites. There is a pattern of the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Hopefully, all of the protests stay peaceful, we don't need violence and riots destroying neighborhoods, we need a fair court case where if he is guilty he gets the appropriate punishment.
Agreed. I hope it stays peaceful. I moved out of Chicago in 2004 and am very glad I'm not in the city tonight.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 PM

26,540 posts, read 15,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The difference is, there isn't a pattern of black cops shooting whites. There is a pattern of the opposite.

Agreed. I hope it stays peaceful. I moved out of Chicago in 2004 and am very glad I'm not in the city tonight.
I am not sure I believe this "pattern."

There are more white cops than black cops, and if we are honest more black citizen interactions (due in large part to neighborhood activity) than white citizen interactions with cops.

When a black cop shoots a white unarmed person the media doesn't drool...there are no Al Sharptons spouting off/or repeating lies creating a bigger hysteria. Blacks killed by white cops get far more attention. We simply don't hear of the inverse when it happens so your brain doesn't form a pattern.

Arguably the biggest case of this pattern with the most media attention - Ferguson, the real evidence showed the cop acted within his bounds. Yet, due to all of the misinformation and hysteria, there are large segments of the population that think the cop willfully gunned down an innocent copperative kid on his knees with his back turned and hands in the air.

Less than 0.1% of all murdered blacks are from white cops....what is the real pattern?

Being a cop is a dangerous job where you can die. We need better training...however, in terms of patterns, blacks showed more bias against black suspects than whites in restraint training of when to fire.

I will be in downtown Chicago on Thanksgiving...........probably.

P.S. There needs to be severe accountability for anyone hiding the video to prevent charges against the cop.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,403,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Enough is enough.
One more kid gunned down by police.
I think it is high time to disarm the police, until such time that they can prove they are responsible with guns.

The only time they should be allowed lethal guns is in a hostage situation, or barricade situation where swat is used.
Police have proven in different parts of the country that they are not capable of using firearms correctly.
If they are limited too tasers, and rubber bullets, bean bags, that is a step in the right direction.

im on the far,very far right side conservative on firearms, but I agree with you 100%. I just think that every cop needs a gun. some cops goes there whole career without shooting there gun, so why do they need it.

traffic cops. dont need guns. paper pushers, dont need guns. decetive, dont need guns. swat and people that arrest people, ok, they can have them, but thats only 20% of the force.

its not because of job or training, it just so many crooked cops. oh and i believe, everytime a cop taze someone, they got to take one too, on the family jewels. that make them think twice of tazing for the fun of it.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:39 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,335,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I didn't see any protests from these people when the homeless guy who had a knife in Arizona was gunned down so I have a hard time tolerating their protests over this Chicago shooting.
This video was damning but not as bad as I had thought it would be. The guy was brandishing a knife an
Perhaps you should pay closer attention to the news.

Fatal Shooting of New Mexico Man Sparks 'Killer Cops' Protest - NBC News

Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 PM

409 posts, read 259,100 times
The racist Republican stronghold of Chicago must be burned to the ground.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:53 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,331,937 times
If you scroll down the page on this link, you will see the state's filing on this case, it's an embedded PDF I can't link it directly. It's a summary of what happened before, during and after the shooting

Officer Jason Van Dyke: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Old 11-24-2015, 08:54 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,294,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
The racist Republican stronghold of Chicago must be burned to the ground.
Black Friday. Free stuff! All you can carry.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:57 PM

17,447 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Took a year to charge the cop?wtf
Over a year - you need to consider what was happening in October of 2014.
ELECTION time. Ferguson, MO had riots, burning, looting.
About the last thing the Chicago Political Machine wanted was to bring that to Chicago right before the election.

They paid the family of this kid $5 Million before they even bothered to file a suit. Tellls you all you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies