Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Wow! How stereotypical of you.
yes yes, I know, I'm horribly unPC. LOL. If thats your biggest concern with this discussion I might suggest that your desire to attack another poster is blinding you to the topic at hand.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:22 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The last I check we have had for YEARS, telephone books which published peoples NAME, ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER.
And religion? No?

Old 11-25-2015, 07:28 PM

59,079 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And religion? No?
"And religion? No?"

I think even the dumbest person would ASSUME that people dressed like Muslims and attending a Muslim Mosque would be of the Muslim faith.

It ain't rocket science.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:29 PM

178 posts, read 232,424 times
Sounds like that nutjob is more dangerous than most of the Muslims I know. Hope facebook took down his post.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:29 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Actually, people who donated to Prop 8. And the difference is that donor information is in the public domain and always has been. I do remember the bigots crying that just because there was a well-established rule it shouldn't apply to them, because that was just unfair or something. Probably God was involved.

Now, when you're done with attempting a false equivalency, could we return to the issue at hand?
No, Dane, names and addresses of petition-signers were posted online. Perhaps you should do quick check before assuming. It is very relevant to what is happening in Texas and I believe his group in TX is just as wrong as KnowThyNeighbor.org was seven years ago.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:33 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
Sounds like that nutjob is more dangerous than most of the Muslims I know. Hope facebook took down his post.
I agree 100%

Old 11-25-2015, 07:57 PM

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And religion? No?"

I think even the dumbest person would ASSUME that people dressed like Muslims and attending a Muslim Mosque would be of the Muslim faith.

It ain't rocket science.
Then what did phone books have to do with it? You're making no sense.

As for those who attend services: Unless the people they decide to wear plaques with their address, they can remain anonymous to society if so they wish, as befits a civilized nation. Well, right up until the point where a bunch of armed nutcakes decide to be their vigilante selves.

These guys are not worth defending.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
No, Dane, names and addresses of petition-signers were posted online. Perhaps you should do quick check before assuming. It is very relevant to what is happening in Texas and I believe his group in TX is just as wrong as KnowThyNeighbor.org was seven years ago.

Mea culpa, you're right. I confused it with the Prop 8 donation outcry here in California. I apprecaite the ciorrection. Anyway, the point stands: Signing a petition, just like donating money, has always meant your name was available by a simple FOIA request. The vote is secret, political speech in the form of donations and signatures isn't. That's not controversial, the Supremes ruled 8-1 it is so. Hell, my poltical donations are on the web, with Google map index and everything. Of course, I stand by them.

The difference is this: The people whose names and addresses were compiled by this posse have not engaged in activity that could fairly be construed as political speech, nor have they carried out an act that could fairly lead to them expecting to be published.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:24 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Mea culpa, you're right. I confused it with the Prop 8 donation outcry here in California. I apprecaite the ciorrection. Anyway, the point stands: Signing a petition, just like donating money, has always meant your name was available by a simple FOIA request. The vote is secret, political speech in the form of donations and signatures isn't. That's not controversial, the Supremes ruled 8-1 it is so. Hell, my poltical donations are on the web, with Google map index and everything. Of course, I stand by them.

The difference is this: The people whose names and addresses were compiled by this posse have not engaged in activity that could fairly be construed as political speech, nor have they carried out an act that could fairly lead to them expecting to be published.
Actually, they did. BAIR published a city of Irving document containing the names and addresses of those who spoke before a city council meeting last April against a city resolution that supported a Texas bill that prohibited the use of foreign laws in the state.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
One group is full of people that will critique your choice in blinds, house color, etc. The other one is showing up with guns to try and scare you, and is full of some people pretty far out there.

BOTH events are pretty messed up, but one is just a tad more scary.
Are you talking about HOAs, very common in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies