Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:55 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Parents who send their children to govt. skools should be charged w/ abuse.
Not everyone can afford private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 08:57 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Isn't free speech considered offensive these days?

Old 11-26-2015, 08:58 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
With freedom of speech does come responsibility. While I support your right to speak your mind, "freedom of speech" does not mean "I can say whatever I want and tough if you don't like it".

Old 11-26-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
With freedom of speech does come responsibility. While I support your right to speak your mind, "freedom of speech" does not mean "I can say whatever I want and tough if you don't like it".
But people have a right to speak, just because you find something upsetting as long as it is not a threat or causes real harm we must tolerate what they say. I don't agree with many things written on this board but I don't believe I have a right to shut people up. If you shut one point of view down where does it stop???

Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,152 times
I'm not sure if they'd listen, but describing it as the golden rule might help them understand its importance. Would you want your opponent silencing your opinions?

Their intolerance of opposing views carries over into other areas as well. I know a lot of Bernie Sanders supporters who want him to have all this power to make things how they want it to be, but I'm like..sooo you don't realize that someone like Trump could be elected next time around and use that power against YOU?

They need to learn empathy and put themselves in other people's shoes. A lot of these people are just narcissists.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm not sure if they'd listen, but describing it as the golden rule might help them understand its importance. Would you want your opponent silencing your opinions?

Their intolerance of opposing views carries over into other areas as well. I know a lot of Bernie Sanders supporters who want him to have all this power to make things how they want it to be, but I'm like..sooo you don't realize that someone like Trump could be elected next time around and use that power against YOU?

They need to learn empathy and put themselves in other people's shoes. A lot of these people are just narcissists.
Empathy is a word I use a lot and wish many more people would try to understand it's meaning and apply it in their lives.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:36 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
That is not free speech. It's a university, and they set their own rules.

Free speech is something that the gov't is prohibited from restricting. Let us know if you have any examples of this.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post

BTW this is why I posted this thread. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours

Is Social Media to Blame For the Rise In Narcissism?

Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
That is not free speech. It's a university, and they set their own rules.

Free speech is something that the gov't is prohibited from restricting. Let us know if you have any examples of this.
But the students do not set the agenda of the University.............

Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
One of the greatest liberties this USA has is the freedom of speech. It seems lately, that our college campuses have become extremely intolerant of views other than their own. Since these kids are our future, it seems that perhaps instead of teaching them tolerance and having safe rooms for them to cry in, we should get back to having apprenticeships, community service projects, college degrees that actually are useful, and some good old fraternity hazings. Political correctness has run amok, and these kids are bored and are trying hard to still find new ways to feel important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies