Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:40 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Commander in Chief has an obligation to demonstrate reasonable effort to abide by Geneva Conventions as it relates to civilians.

These protocols have been around in one form or another for 80 years.

Did you voice your opposistion when the US dropped flyers in Japan warning civilians to evacuate cities?

That the US has not declared war against Syria adds to the complexity.
I have no problem with Obama seeking to minimize civilian deaths. Last time I checked we did spearhead international laws like Geneva and I wish would we stick to them. It's shameful that post 9/11 we decided that to beat terrorism we had to become as bad as the terrorists. That doesn't mean everyone in Muslim Lands will suddenly love us but it's the right thing to do.

Many people in ISIS controlled areas dislike or are indifferent to them and are just trying to feed their families. That includes the truck drivers that supply ISIS. I had ancestors who disapproved of the treatment of Blacks but standing up to it would get you killed. I saw a mini documentary about getting back the kidnapped Yazidi girls from ISIS. What usually happens is an Arab who secretly dislikes ISIS will meet a Yazidi girl in public and take her home and contact her family, a heroic effort comparable to White Southerners helping slaves escape on the underground railroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:04 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,109,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Look at the bigger picture - we beat the Vietcons - not with guns but with good old economics. Nowadays Vietnam is our business trading partners. Even McCain say we should sell our defensive weapons to them.

We should all hope Syria and Iraq turn out to be like Vietnam.
You compare loosing over 56,000 American soldiers in Vietnam and then say we "beat" the Vietnamese because of "good old economics"? Do people die when a country is subject to "good old economics"??? Why don't you tell a Vietnam vet how we "won" the war in Vietnam because of "good old economics". I'm sure he will set your straight and teach you a few facts.

Technically we lost the war in Vietnam. The reason had to do with the fact that the Vietnamese wanted to win the war more than the US. Also, it's pretty much a given that you will lose a war when you are given rules of engagement which hinder the ability to fight on a level ground with the enemy since they only have one rule: kill the enemy by any and all means.

We lost in Iraq, like we will lose in Afghanistan, and will lose in Syria. The thankful difference is that we don't have US military in Syria (except for the 50 SpecOps Obama sent in). Look what the US did to Libya? Killed Qaddafi (who had been cooperating with the US for several years giving the US intel on terrorist organizations), toppled Libya's government, walked away, and to this day they don't have a government.

When we demolished Hiroshima and Nagasaki, who do you think rebuilt it?? That was one war that the US actually did win. We've had many countries that were our enemies who are now trading partners.

I would rather think you are quite young, rather than someone older and ignorant, as you don't really have a handle on history and what has and is going on in the ME.

I guess you think you are the privileged one who can go off topic while scolding others for doing the same thing. WTH does Vietnam have to do with this post??

Last edited by triple8s; 12-01-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 07:07 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,109,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Commander in Chief has an obligation to demonstrate reasonable effort to abide by Geneva Conventions as it relates to civilians.

These protocols have been around in one form or another for 80 years.

Did you voice your opposistion when the US dropped flyers in Japan warning civilians to evacuate cities?

That the US has not declared war against Syria adds to the complexity.
That's funny. I highly doubt most of the CD posters were around when we bombed Japan which would mean that they really didn't have a voice. Bless you if you were.

Where was his so-called obligation when he was dropping drones and killing a few thousand civilians, mostly women and children? I guess the wedding that was hit was a big threat to the US, huh?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:11 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,950 times
The old marco polo game. How cute.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:35 PM

138 posts, read 93,931 times
Quote:
Look at the bigger picture - we beat the Vietcons - not with guns but with good old economics. Nowadays Vietnam is our business trading partners. Even McCain say we should sell our defensive weapons to them.

We should all hope Syria and Iraq turn out to be like Vietnam.
We didn't beat them if the objective was to prevent Vietnam from becoming a united communist state. That communist countries like Vietnam, China, ad Cuba have awakened to the reality that centrally planned economies don't work in the real world doesn't address the political and human reality of life in those totalitarian places.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:17 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,920 times
Quote:
"Intercourse" is really an odd and equivocal choice of word here. I paused, read the sentence again, and then couldn't help letting out a big laugh. Thanks for that.
Actually, I should be thanking you for making ME laugh for two reasons. First, I purposefully use that word in posts so that people can make fools of themselves ... just as you did. The dictionary is our friend. Maybe you should get friendlier with it and learn new words. Second, for reading my post twice. What a pity that you don't do same for all my posts.

A certain religious figure once said, "the poor you have with you always ..." (KJV) when speaking to a fellow named Judas about the cost of perfume used to wash his feet. I will paraphrase same to say ... "the uneducated you have with you always" (El Nox Version).

O well.

El Nox

Old 12-01-2015, 04:04 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
So I posed a question to you several posts back, and you are now telling me you won't answer it unless I answer your question which you just posted??
Yes. And only if you answer it in a way that shows me answering your question can contribute to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
I gather from your response is that you are against Obama's drone striking that killed thousands of civilians. One down, how many to go??

Who cares? Even I don't care how many issues I align with Obama.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow667 View Post
We didn't beat them if the objective was to prevent Vietnam from becoming a united communist state. That communist countries like Vietnam, China, ad Cuba have awakened to the reality that centrally planned economies don't work in the real world doesn't address the political and human reality of life in those totalitarian places.
We beat them, the thing is it took much longer than we wanted but we did it. Vietnam and China are on a freight train towards democracy. They just don't know it yet. Mao is rolling in his grave for what his Communist Party has turned into. In fact, the CCP is as communist as my old VCR.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Actually, I should be thanking you for making ME laugh for two reasons. First, I purposefully use that word in posts so that people can make fools of themselves ... just as you did. The dictionary is our friend. Maybe you should get friendlier with it and learn new words. Second, for reading my post twice. What a pity that you don't do same for all my posts.
No, no. I got it. That's why I said "intercourse" is an odd and equivocal choice of word. If I had thought you meant what most people think it meant, then I wouldn't use equivocal would I? Equivocal means "having more than one interpretation". I thought you would have picked up on that, apparently not. So yes, I recognized your double entendre. But for someone who ramble on about reading things twice and using the dictionary, maybe you should follow your own advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
A certain religious figure once said, "the poor you have with you always ..." (KJV) when speaking to a fellow named Judas about the cost of perfume used to wash his feet. I will paraphrase same to say ... "the uneducated you have with you always" (El Nox Version).

O well.

El Nox
I'm sure Jesus is so proud of your attitude.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:40 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,726 times
Quote:
A lot of civilians work for ISIS because they have to pay rent and feed the family. That doesn't mean these people are going to pick up arms or blow themselves up.

I was indoctrinated to math, science, and the virtue of hard work since the age of 5 too. Funny how I don't retain any of it as an adult. But if some foreign country are to blow up my Dad, you betcha I'd spend the rest of my life fantasizing how I'm going to tear their throats out.

The point: Try to minimize bad PR as much as possible. One misstep and it could set us back significantly.

A lot of people join gangs for the same reasons. Do we give Bloods and Crips a pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies