Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:52 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,454,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Being in agreement wth trip is hardly sometime to brag about.
Since you are using the word brag as a noun vice a verb or an adjective I will use the word 'honored' to be in agreement with him in his responses to YOUR drivel and tripe. BTW, since I am talking about usage of the English language ... folks I have intercourse with normally use the word 'something' when talking about a noun. But then, maybe your language of choice is related to ebonics.

El Nox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 09:55 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,110,753 times
Quote:
When you say the following:

Which is of course a dumb notion because it means killing people for crimes they have not yet committed, which is against our principle.
Another irrelevant babbling post. But I have a few seconds, so I'll play.

It's not against our "principle" to kill thousands of innocent civilians with drones?? Is there something called the "drone principle"??

You still didn't answer my question. Which of the points I made do you agree with? Your ignoring the question speaks volumes about you.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,430,232 times
Quote:
A lot of civilians work for ISIS because they have to pay rent and feed the family. That doesn't mean these people are going to pick up arms or blow themselves up.

I was indoctrinated to math, science, and the virtue of hard work since the age of 5 too. Funny how I don't retain any of it as an adult. But if some foreign country are to blow up my Dad, you betcha I'd spend the rest of my life fantasizing how I'm going to tear their throats out.

The point: Try to minimize bad PR as much as possible. One misstep and it could set us back significantly.

Best perspective on this matter. I completely agree.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,262,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Since you are using the word brag as a noun vice a verb or an adjective I will use the word 'honored' to be in agreement with him in his responses to YOUR drivel and tripe.
"Honored" is an odd choice of word given the context but ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
BTW, since I am talking about usage of the English language ... folks I have intercourse with normally use the word 'something' when talking about a noun. But then, maybe your language of choice is related to ebonics.

El Nox

"Intercourse" is really an odd and equivocal choice of word here. I paused, read the sentence again, and then couldn't help letting out a big laugh. Thanks for that.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Another irrelevant babbling post. But I have a few seconds, so I'll play.

It's not against our "principle" to kill thousands of innocent civilians with drones?? Is there something called the "drone principle"??

Now you're talking. This is indeed a valid point - why is it ok to kill civilians with drones?? The answer is that - it is not. What we did with the drones is unquestionably bad and no doubt played into the hands of the terrorists.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because we messed up with drone attacks, doesn't give us the pass to play fast and loose in other areas. Yes, the drone strikes are bone headedly bad, that still does not justify killing civilians elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
You still didn't answer my question. Which of the points I made do you agree with? Your ignoring the question speaks volumes about you.

What volume does it speak about me? That I don't answer questions irrelevant to the topic?

I asked you what contribution does it bring to the thread, if you can provide a valid answer then I'd gladly answer this irrelevant question.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow667 View Post
U.S. servicepersons who drive trucks aren't soldiers just like their brothers and sisters who are infantrypersons or fly fighters and bombers?
Our military outsourced a lot of truck driving to private contractors. They are not service members. There were articles written about these people who risked their lives but military doesn't pay their medical treatment for things like PTSD because they are not enlisted.

But the bigger point is that we target the fighters. Yes, maybe once in awhile we let some slip away because we are too cautious, but being too cautious is preferable to being too reckless. The Iraqi quamire taught us that.

Last edited by beb0p; 12-01-2015 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
How did winning hearts and minds turn out for the U.S. in Vietnam? We lost that war because military engagements were diluted by political considerations. We didn't belong in that war either but if we were going to risk the lives of our young men and women we should have at least let them swing with their full weight.

Look at the bigger picture - we beat the Vietcons - not with guns but with good old economics. Nowadays Vietnam is our business trading partners. Even McCain say we should sell our defensive weapons to them.

We should all hope Syria and Iraq turn out to be like Vietnam.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:30 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,488,622 times
Quote:
“We dropped leaflets, warning the drivers to scatter,” said an official who had been briefed on the strike.'

US military: Air strikes destroy 116 ISIS fuel trucks, sharing target info with France | Fox News

The U.S. is warning ISIS fighters before they are attacked. Can anyone who isn't a dyed in the wool Obama supporter justify giving our enemies aid and comfort like the president is doing, which is the very definition of treason? Can you spell I-M-P-E-A-C-H-M-E-N-T?
oh he's saying we're warning the "collateral damage" the women & the children (who have all disappeared anyhow, and the men are in Germany by now)... nevermind.

Let him cover his tracks.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,868,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is absurd. This is not how a Commander-in-Chief runs a war.
The Commander in Chief has an obligation to demonstrate reasonable effort to abide by Geneva Conventions as it relates to civilians.

These protocols have been around in one form or another for 80 years.

Did you voice your opposistion when the US dropped flyers in Japan warning civilians to evacuate cities?

That the US has not declared war against Syria adds to the complexity.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,110,753 times
Quote:
Now you're talking. This is indeed a valid point - why is it ok to kill civilians with drones?? The answer is that - it is not. What we did with the drones is unquestionably bad and no doubt played into the hands of the terrorists.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because we messed up with drone attacks, doesn't give us the pass to play fast and loose in other areas. Yes, the drone strikes are bone headedly bad, that still does not justify killing civilians elsewhere.

What volume does it speak about me? That I don't answer questions irrelevant to the topic?

I asked you what contribution does it bring to the thread, if you can provide a valid answer then I'd gladly answer this irrelevant question.

So I posed a question to you several posts back, and you are now telling me you won't answer it unless I answer your question which you just posted??

I gather from your response is that you are against Obama's drone striking that killed thousands of civilians. One down, how many to go??

Last edited by triple8s; 12-01-2015 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies