Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
I said that you paint all Muslims in the world as being the same. The US is part of the "globe" or "world" which means the same.

Which is it? A symbol of oppression? A political symbol? You claim it's both. You constantly give your oppressed version, but how about you explain your political version.

Maybe YOU see it as a symbol of oppression because you come from a country that is very deep in the oppression of women and that is your only reference point.

Are you suggesting that the hijab be banned in the US? For what reason? Because you have a "history" with Muslims? Do you understand why the Confederate Flag was banned? If so, it's like comparing chalk to cheese.

Muslim women are not oppressed globally but your blind hatred for Muslims doesn't allow you to absorb that.
Strawman. I never claimed all Muslims are any one type.

Fact: In many countries hijab is forced on woman at age 9. Every single woman in places like Saudi, Iran,...has to wear a hijab in public. No choice there.

This makes it a symbol of oppression. No different than a Confederate flag.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:29 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
As an immigrant, I have traditional garb too, but I believe in 'When in Rome....'.

This person needs to assimilate into US society.
Why?

According to the article, the altercation wasn't so much about her choice of clothing. It started with loud protests about her speaking a foreign language, which wasn't even one from the Near East. Someone shouted at her, "In America we speak English". We do? Who's "we"? Lots of people don't. That's part of the First Amendment "freedom of speech" thing, one of America's founding values. Why would anyone care what language others speak?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
People are afraid.
This woman is in America and ignorant people like this drunk attacker need to be sympathetic. Assault is assault.

Of course if any of us who have a white face were to travel to most places in the middle east we would be a target for far worse than getting smacked with a beer mug.

I fear that if there is a Paris style attack in the US that we are going to see a huge backlash against muslims. I see people being beatup or even killed and businesses and mosques burned down.

The world is on edge and people are afraid. I suspect we will soon be hearing about more assaults on muslims.
"smacked with a beer mug"? Her face was trashed and will likely be scarred for life, according to the article. Somehow, the beer mug shattered and sliced up her face. That's a lot more than just being "smacked" with a beer mug.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why?

According to the article, the altercation wasn't so much about her choice of clothing. It started with loud protests about her speaking a foreign language, which wasn't even one from the Near East. Someone shouted at her, "In America we speak English". We do? Who's "we"? Lots of people don't. That's part of the First Amendment "freedom of speech" thing, one of America's founding values. Why would anyone care what language others speak?
She may be smacked because of the foreign language, but when I see her picture she isn't a model assimilated immigrant either.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:50 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Am I a white racist since I'm a black person that's not liberal? Or am I an Uncle Tom or coon?
I have no idea what/who you are. Golimar is not an immigrant. Golimar is a white racist. HE TALKS JUST LIKE SO MANY RACISTS I HAVE LIVED AROUND ALL MY LIFE.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:52 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
She may be smacked because of the foreign language, but when I see her picture she isn't a model assimilated immigrant either.
Who cares what she's wearing? Pathetic, you believe she deserved to be attacked simply for wearing a scarf. Should we be sympathetic if you were attacked for wearing a hideous mullet?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
So? Why should she be?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Who cares what she's wearing? Pathetic, you believe she deserved to be attacked simply for wearing a scarf. Should we be sympathetic if you were attacked for wearing a hideous mullet?
There is no excuse for crime.

I would like her to assimilate to the culture of the country she chose to migrate to. Wearing a French scarf instead would help her do that.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:58 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:

I would like her to assimilate to the culture of the country she chose to migrate to. Wearing a French scarf instead would help her do that.
You are excusing it as evident by the fact that you keep focusing on what she was wearing.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:

In Oregon, there used to be several communities of Russian "Old Believers", a conservative religious sect, kind of like the Amish. They wore traditional dress and observed numerous church holidays. No one ever batted an eye at them for their traditional Russian peasant dress. They eventually moved to Alaska, because Oregon wouldn't allow them to keep their kids at home for all those church holidays. But the Oregon residents around them never had a problem with them.

Maybe you'd like to go to Alaska, or Amish country, and start harassing people to assimilate, wear "normal" clothes, and give up their preferred way of life? Or do you not have a problem with conservative Russian Orthodox and Anabaptists?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies