Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 05:45 AM

57,357 posts, read 26,263,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Then what the heck is the point of banning them if other weapons accomplish the same thing?
Meaning you don't need an AR-15, maybe a single shot rifle would do the trick or are they poor marksmen that they need 20 rounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 06:01 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,906,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are several reasons why a gun should be banned, semi-auto, magazine capacity, firing rate, the issue is where you draw the line, not based on just one function.

Let's start with the AR-15, make your case why it should not be banned since that is rather popular in these mass shootings.

It's very simple Goodnight...........

So, setting any and all philosophical, Second Amendment based arguments aside for why the AR15 should not be banned, the very basic crime stats themselves don't even bear out a good argument for banning it. Note that, because there are so few, this data table doesn't even break homicides committed by "assault weapons" like the AR15 down in to their own subset, rather, those are lumped in with all rifles. More people are killed by knives and hammers than rifles of any type for crying out loud! By comparison, look at the crimes committed with handguns vs. those committed with rifles... The majority of "gun murders" in this country are committed with handguns, yet public enemy #1 for the gun control crowd is scary looking rifles which are used in only a fraction on "gun crimes".... How much sense does that make? So if we're going to have a discussion about regulating guns in this country, let's at least have the integrity to discuss the real issue here.
Attached Thumbnails
New York Times Asks For Gun Turn-In-gun-stats.jpg  

Old 12-08-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Why shouldn't the AR-15 be banned, what would the function be in the hands of a civilian
To kill people who might threaten our lives, our homes, our property, or our country, Goodnight, it's really that simple and I'm not going to sugar coat it to make it more palatable for the faint of heart. THAT is what the Second Amendment was put in the Constitution for and so THAT is the light that the 2A must be viewed in. THAT is what must inform any policy on gun laws. It's a simple fact. It isn't there so that we can hunt Bambi, or put bugs bunny on the dinner table, or to get a Daffy Duck for Christmas dinner, and frankly I'm tired of people marginalizing our gun rights by pretending that it is.

Don't like it? Think it's radical? Think it's moot in the 21st Century? Great.... Repeal it. Until then, respect it, just like every other law.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Meaning you don't need an AR-15, maybe a single shot rifle would do the trick or are they poor marksmen that they need 20 rounds.

LOLOLOLOL.... This is what makes us all laugh when people who don't really know what they're talking about try to talk guns. For one, hunting hogs can be dangerous. They are vicious animals that travel in packs and will tear you apart. They won't wait for you to reload your single shot rifle.

Also, here's some pretty awesome hog hunting, and a single shot rifle wouldn't work too well for those who hunt hogs from a chopper....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Ul...layer_embedded

Old 12-08-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
For my part no.. the AR-15 as well as the American version of the AK-47 are extremely effective hunting weapons for feral pigs. (These are considered a rodent here) That plus it is extremely useful in the protection of life and property. I realize you don't have feral pigs in the state of NJ, so ban them there if you like on a state basis, much the same as California has. I have no problem with this. It's your state.
Second Amendment applies nationwide my friend....

Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 AM

50,357 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
If you hunted you'd know that many times a quick second shot is the most humane thing to dispatch a wounded animal. I've seen a double lunged Deer run a quarter mile. Most recently I lucked into a complete sounder of wild hogs in a meadow. A mag dump was perfect. A single shot rifle, just stupid. Pigs can run fast.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Just because something Can be done does not mean that it Should be done.
Why enable it to be done in the first place? It would have been much harder for Bush to authorize the invasion of Iraq if Clinton hadn't already authorized the use of the US military to liberate Iraq.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
LOLOLOLOL.... This is what makes us all laugh when people who don't really know what they're talking about try to talk guns. For one, hunting hogs can be dangerous. They are vicious animals that travel in packs and will tear you apart. They won't wait for you to reload your single shot rifle.

Also, here's some pretty awesome hog hunting, and a single shot rifle wouldn't work too well for those who hunt hogs from a chopper....
To say nothing of those hunters that get lost in the woods for days and have only a handful of rounds on them, hardly enough either to kill something to be able to survive or fire off distress signals.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:33 AM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's very simple Goodnight...........

So, setting any and all philosophical, Second Amendment based arguments aside for why the AR15 should not be banned, the very basic crime stats themselves don't even bear out a good argument for banning it. Note that, because there are so few, this data table doesn't even break homicides committed by "assault weapons" like the AR15 down in to their own subset, rather, those are lumped in with all rifles. More people are killed by knives and hammers than rifles of any type for crying out loud! By comparison, look at the crimes committed with handguns vs. those committed with rifles... The majority of "gun murders" in this country are committed with handguns, yet public enemy #1 for the gun control crowd is scary looking rifles which are used in only a fraction on "gun crimes".... How much sense does that make? So if we're going to have a discussion about regulating guns in this country, let's at least have the integrity to discuss the real issue here.

Handguns were on the "to be banned" list for decades. Except for some "marginal" changes on acquisition (such as the hoops one must jump through to buy one in some states (some of which also make acquiring a long gun difficult) the anti-gun crowd finally dropped the effort (at least openly. It's still on the final goal list).

So, instead of handguns, the new attempt for bans were now the scary looking ones.

I hope what everyone is taking out of this thread is that the ultimate goal for some, if not most, anti-gunners is a total ban and confiscation. I posted images of several common hunting/sporting long guns earlier, all semi-automatics. When one poster in particular found out they were semi-automatic (actually I had to tell him since he was self-admittedly "unfamiliar" with those particular guns) the "they should be banned" statement came out.

Here's what happened:
For decades the "most dangerous guns" were handguns. Once they became highly regulated then the "most dangerous guns" became the AR type variants.

I can guarantee that when they become constrained the next "most dangerous guns" will be hunting/sporting guns like the Browning Gold or Remington 750 I posted.

Then will come guns like the Browning BPS pump and bolt actions.

Then double guns.

Then Goodnight's single shot.

One small step at a time.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Handguns were on the "to be banned" list for decades. Except for some "marginal" changes on acquisition (such as the hoops one must jump through to buy one in some states (some of which also make acquiring a long gun difficult) the anti-gun crowd finally dropped the effort (at least openly. It's still on the final goal list).

So, instead of handguns, the new attempt for bans were now the scary looking ones.

I hope what everyone is taking out of this thread is that the ultimate goal for some, if not most, anti-gunners is a total ban and confiscation. I posted images of several common hunting/sporting long guns earlier, all semi-automatics. When one poster in particular found out they were semi-automatic (actually I had to tell him since he was self-admittedly "unfamiliar" with those particular guns) the "they should be banned" statement came out.

Here's what happened:
For decades the "most dangerous guns" were handguns. Once they became highly regulated then the "most dangerous guns" became the AR type variants.

I can guarantee that when they become constrained the next "most dangerous guns" will be hunting/sporting guns like the Browning Gold or Remington 750 I posted.

Then will come guns like the Browning BPS pump and bolt actions.

Then double guns.

Then Goodnight's single shot.

One small step at a time.

The following quote by gun control advocate Josh Sugarman tells you all you need to know about gun control advocates and their tactics....

"""The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons"""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies