Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:28 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
One thing that anti-gun advocates need to realize is that it's a matter of principle, at least for me. Everyone has the right to own a gun for whatever reason they want. There's nothing wrong with owning something. It's the principle that you should never need to ask permission from another person to possess an item. That's not something you compromise on.

One thing the gun nuts need to realize is there is no other industrialized country on earth that suffers from mass killings and gun violence like we do in the United States, and it affects the health and welfare, as well as the public safety, of people who are not gun nuts.

This segment of the population is a majority, a majority who want simple, common sense gun laws to insure the safety of the majority.

If gun nuts are inconvenienced by such common sense legislation, too bad. We don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 AM

756 posts, read 424,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This idea has already been floated. Actually, it is a good idea.

If a woman has a waiting period, must be checked on by a doctor with admitting privileges at a hospital, and must also watch a film, then gun background checks must:

1) Include a waiting period.
2) Applicant must be screened by a doctor to check their mental health
3) They must watch a film on mass murderers (which can also stress that most are white males)

I think this is a fair trade off, and I'm especially in favor of #2.

This has to be one of the most asinine suggestions i've seen floated in these discussions.
If someone is warped and damaged enough to commit mass murder, what makes you think watching a film about it will make them think twice and reconsider? They will probably be taking mental notes

Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
For every new gun law, we have an equally restrictive abortion law.
How about we keep both guns AND abortion legal?

I mean... "home of the brave"* and all?

*I know that's not really the case. But we sing it so we can act like it's true. Right?

Old 12-06-2015, 12:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
This has to be one of the most asinine suggestions i've seen floated in these discussions.
If someone is warped and damaged enough to commit mass murder, what makes you think watching a film about it will make them think twice and reconsider? They will probably be taking mental notes
Because we are talking about gun laws for abortion restrictions, and in some states, you must watch a film before you can exercise your constitutional right to terminate your pregnancy.

So it should go both ways. And you should have to see the consequences of mass murder. You only can reach this last step if you have cleared the other hurdles.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Only if you can find good homes for the 70,000 children that will be dumped on society each year.

So women who have abortions are unfit mothers and incapable of providing a good home? I had no idea.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:38 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
lets go with our constitution....'nuff said.
^ +1

Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Because we are talking about gun laws for abortion restrictions, and in some states, you must watch a film before you can exercise your constitutional right to terminate your pregnancy.

So it should go both ways. And you should have to see the consequences of mass murder. You only can reach this last step if you have cleared the other hurdles.

In every state you have to undergo a federal background check. In many states there are additional restrictions. The current restrictions for guns are already tougher than any restrictions (which I view as unconstitutional) for abortion. Abortion is legal according to the Court. Anyone with the funds should be able to have an abortion. I don't support abortion, but I support the law of the land. That disqualifies me from ever being a Democrat.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:21 PM

756 posts, read 424,902 times
Quote:

Yeah, I understood the logic, what I am saying is I have a hard time believing that someone who is capable of mass murder is
going to change his mind after seeing a video of the consequences of it.

People who are capable of doing that are psychopaths and their brains lack the ability to feel empathy.
either that or they are on a religious holy war "killing the infidel". So in either case, watching videos of
mass murder is very likely to do anything other than inspire them further.

Regular, law abiding gun owners who have no intention of committing mass murder would just be disgusted by it.
I don't see how it would change their decision to want to protect themselves or their families with a gun.
So I guess this is just a "tit for tat" type of thing that doesn't actually do any good or prevent anything?

By the same token though, I really don't approve of making women watch videos of abortions either.

My suggestion for gun control is if you break the law or someone else breaks the law with the guns YOU bought
we come down on you HARD. People should know if they wave a gun at someone in traffic during a road rage
incident or leave a gun where kids can play with it, they are going to be in BIG trouble. Increase the penalties.
If you or someone else commits murder with your guns, you are going away for a long time!
Make people think of the consequences of these guns they have in their possession.

Last edited by getitgotitgood; 12-06-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 02:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
I have a better compromise.

For each new restrictive gun law, it becomes easier for States to secede.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

The 2nd amendment forbids that.

Try again.

How about we compromise your right to breath on gods green earth instead?
Go give away your rights, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies