Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:30 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Exactly. I started this thread because of the media reports hyping "stockpiles" of ammo. They never shoe a picture of what a thousand rounds actually looks like, they simply imply for the audiences assumption that it's a tractor trailer load.

Maddening.

Here is one case that happened on Dec 4th: Police: NY traffic stop yields suspect with assault rifle, body armor, 8,300 rounds of ammo | Fox News. The media came up with the number of rounds; but not the man's name or how this case turned out? We don't know anything; he could have been a terrorist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Oh, my bad.

To be honest, I'm not on a 'side'. I'm a bleeding-heart eeeeebil Librul who happens to like guns and support our second amendment rights.

Those 1.4 BILLION rounds being purchased by the DHS are indicative of the police state in which we live. That's a byproduct of both the Left and the Right- I have no faith that EITHER will make more than a token effort to get the police off our backs. Why would they? The police WORK FOR the political establishment.
You say you support the second amendment. That is picking a 'side'

Old 12-07-2015, 06:22 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Not necessarily. Depends on whether you learn how to reload or find a good reloading seller at a gun show. I was getting reloaded 9mm for $138/1K. Of course, that went up to as high as $225/1K when 9mm was scarce. Still, you can get deals if you know where to look for them.
I have two single stage presses and have probably only 500 in my gear. That includes a LOT of dies. I'm good for a few ten thousand rounds

Old 12-07-2015, 09:13 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Very happy to see so many like minded folks on this thread. When I heard the reports of the "stockpiling" of ammo in the 4K round area, I had to laugh at how little that really amounts to. I have more than that in my bedroom closet!
I am an older guy and I have been shooting since I was a pre-schooler. My Dad started me off with a single shot Stevens in the humble twenty two caliber. .22 Shorts, .22 Longs, 22 Long Rifles and much later I shot up a few ,22 Magnums. During the past six decades I have owned dozens of rifles and handguns in various calibers but I now find myself shooting about 99% of my rounds in either my twenty two rifles or handguns. I no longer enjoy reloading and I have to make a decision when I want to go shooting . . . do I take the big guns and shoot a few dozen rounds today or do I take the twenty two(s) and shoot a few thousand rounds?

Old 12-08-2015, 04:04 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
I always laugh at that, too--nervous hens screeching Why does anyone need [insert number] rounds!, often simply the number you'd find in a small box of ammo.

Whether it's that or the image of Diane Feinstein holding an assault rifle as if it were a purse, it's always amusing to hear people who know nothing about guns talk about them.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:38 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Yeah, they keep calling what these guys had an "arsenal" and I'm listening to what they had and thinking.... "that's it"....? 4 guns and 5k rounds? Sheesh, I won't get started on what I've got.

People who don't know anything about guns and still try and talk about them are good comic relief....

Old 12-08-2015, 06:48 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
1000 rounds = barely gettin started.
I used to get 1000 rounds of LR for Christmas as a young boy. Sometimes in my stocking from Santa.

Shockingly, I've gone through a lot of life now and my legal problems haven't surpassed a traffic ticket every 10 years or so.

I've lived in cities with millions, towns with a few thousand, suburbs with a 100k.

I've been around a host of different people, walks of life, wealth levels and socio-economic backgrounds.

Currently, I do not have a gun at my house.

I say with a sizeable amount of exasperation that the most poorly informed people in the gun "discussion" are typically insular in their life experience and are culturally limited. They know little about guns and suffer a major disconnect between gun ownership and where most violence occurs. They tend to be easily swayed by emotion and easily convinced that the problem is guns while remaining unable to grasp how wildly different gun violence rates are around the country and even within states or heck from one part of a city to another.

We have huge issues in this country with poverty, drugs and opportunity. Not shockingly we wind up with high rates of gun violence AND incarceration. However, politicians keeps telling us the problem is guns but oddly large portions of the US have violence rates similar to Canada which is touted as a success...yet those are the areas blamed for the gun problem. That's the big 800lb lie in the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies