Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 PM

31,061 posts, read 22,086,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The REPUBLICAN choices are obviously pathetic. If you can't see that, then STAY HOME.
Just one more Terrorist attack and any Republican will be handed the the Presidency on a silver platter. Just see what happened with this current incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 07:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Just one more Terrorist attack and any Republican will be handed the the Presidency on a silver platter. Just see what happened with this current incident.
Yeah, hang you hopes on that

You seem to forget Americans have a 10 Second attention span, meaning by the time the elections come around nearly a year from now many events will have taken place and the trending topic of the day will change many times.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:13 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,474 times
Right now, a bigot and a criminal are the frontrunners. Not good.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:36 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
the problem is almost all these people are CAREER politicians. They have been corrupted by the system. It's gotten to their head and has become less about serving the people and more about serving their own interests, power, and various lobbying groups.
Yes, and when I suggest replacing election with sortition, people dream up all sorts of excuses as to how it is impractical and how a jury-like body of ordinary people can't possibly rise up to the level of competence and expertise the gods...er, the career politicians possess. If you ask me it's a sick joke - the Greek democracies, Athens being the most powerful and most well known to us, were almost indisputably governed better then than America is now, considering how they enabled a population no bigger than a modern-day suburb to create what we would recognize as Western culture.

Less radically, banning re-elections would help, since that would at least eliminate the advantages of incumbency in every election. It wouldn't help the fact that elections, particularly over large districts where it is impossible for a large majority of voters to personally get to know the candidates, intrinsically favor those who are rich, powerful, and already famous - that's why in both America and Rome, and to a lesser extent most other present-day electoral democracies, the legislatures tend to become millionaire's clubs. Obviously in less-democratic regimes that problem is even worse, but we shouldn't use that as an excuse not to do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree. well said. Bolded = Truth for me too.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm not aware of any significant surge in support for the Republican candidates in the head-to-head polls, nor is there much movement within either primary race aside from Carson falling and Cruz rising, and, his foreign policy being quite decent coming from a Texas Republican Senator notwithstanding, Cruz certainly isn't reputed to be any foreign policy mastermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Jim Webb!

Pay Up!

But yeah, those who are likely are a sad commentary on the dregs that are apparently the only thing the major parties can come up with from more than 300,000,000 people.
It is my longstanding rule of thumb that as the size of an organization increases linearly, inefficiency increases exponentially. That's why the top countries in most measures of good outcomes (life expectancy, wealth, etc.) are disproportionately small countries. If you plot most positive outcomes against the size of each country, there's a strong correlation - small countries have good outcomes, large countries have bad outcomes. As with most things there are exceptions, the U.S. being the most obvious.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:37 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Trump and Cruz or Cruz and Trump. Then again, I would vote for a rock over hillary.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:04 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
It doesn't seem like the right people will run for president any longer. We just don't get them for whatever the reason. I think its a symptom of a bigger problem. I think our society has faltered so much, it can't seem to get back on track. Our Gov't seems to be a disaster and it just didn't start with Obama, its been building for a long time. Congress and many of the politicians we have are a complete disgrace, and should be removed from their jobs. I don't know what the answer is. I think unless the Media totally ruins Trump and Clinton. Then obviously one of them will be the President. This shows just how bad off the country really is, with these people as our choices. Who would ever guess Trump would have lasted this long. My guess is it will be Clinton, when the final votes are in. You never know though until its all over.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:53 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
You should stand with Rand.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:55 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
So for those who don't like your choices, who would you like to see run?

Old 12-08-2015, 04:01 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So for those who don't like your choices, who would you like to see run?
Jon Stewart.

Colin Powell.

Michael Bloomberg.

Kim Kardashian.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:16 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I think I'll vote for Cher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies