Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:39 AM

188 posts, read 103,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Some people call presence of laws "loss of freedoms", but they do not know their history. This country has always had laws. For example during the days of the founding fathers, homosexuality was punishable by death, and in some States church attendance was mandatory. Many laws did not exist, because there was no need for them. For example traffic laws were not necessary in a nation where there was no traffic. Later a need arose, so laws were created. There were no laws regarding mail ordering, because mail ordering did not yet exist. Even after mail ordering was invented, there were no laws regarding the mentally ill mail ordering guns, because it has not been identified as a problem yet.

There has always been a need for laws. Lawless society = anarchy.

It is naive to demand law-free environment from a government which is mandated . Merry Christmass.by the Constitution to provide common defense and domestic tranquility.
I see the Strawman is awake and well. Another credibility-deprived poster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 09:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Black people were free to be owned by another human being.

Wives were free to be beaten by their husbands.

Poor people were free to be drafted to fight and die, while rich people were free to buy their way out of it.

We were all free to die of botulism because the Holy Free Market deemed it unnecessary to care about things like food safety.

Children were free to work the fields and never go to school.

Old people were free to freeze and starve in destitution when they were too old to earn a living.

Women were free to be married off at 12 years old or even younger. Sometimes to relatives. Fairly common practice back in that Glorious Free America.

Local and state governments were free to prevent minorities and women from voting.

Black people were free to sit in the back of the bus and use their own water fountains.

Native Americans were free to be slaughtered wholesale by both private individuals and the government, and rounded up to live on the worst land the U.S. has to offer.

Businesses answered only to the Holy Free Market and were free to sell dangerous, ineffective, and outright fraudulent products.

Pollution could be freely dumped into rivers, into the air, out on the ground. Same went for sewage; total sewage freedom. And people were free to die of cholera and black lung.

People were free to be ground up by dangerous industrial machinery... with no compensation should they live to tell about it. The Holy Free Market will always provide more workers.

Husbands were free to rape their wives.

Slave owners were free to rape their slaves.

It was just a nirvana of FREEDOM back in the Good Ol' Days!

Can't imagine why folks wouldn't want to go back?!?
Can't rep you again or I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccadilly Lily View Post
You're not showing anyone anything except your own lack of perspective and ability to rationally assess sets of circumstances. It isn't clever, it is sad because your lack of intellectual acuity blinds you to vital facts and circumstance. Your effort at being "clever" prevents you from seeing anything of import. You are losing your rights day-by-day, and all you can do is talk about slavery. It is amazing how gullible people can be, and I offer my heart-felt wishes form some sort of recovery before you "clever" yourself and America into tyranny. In the field of magic, it is called mis-direction, and buddy, you seem to fall for it wholesale. Sad, so very sad.

No, it is you who can't see what is right in front of you because of your paranoia about how the government is coming for your gunz.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Cry me a river.

How old are you? 120? Most states enacted hunting and fishing seasons along with bag/creel limits more than a century ago.

Where do you live that purchasing farm produce or eggs directly from farmers is illegal? Farmers can even sell milk, as long as it's pasteurized. Raw milk sales are illegal in most states and, I believe, transporting it across state lines for sale is illegal, but that's been the law for over half a century.

As for growing "crops" on your own land, growing marijuana hasn't been legal in at least a century. What else can't you legally "grow"? Poison ivy or giant hogweed?

You already admitted it's been illegal to buy a gun through mail order for decades.
It is sad that your apparent knowledge of our history is so, well, thin. '

When the Founders starting crafting the structure of our nation, one of their most-feared things was a powerful centralized government. That is why they set up a Republic of States bound together, but not run roughshod, by the Federal government. A government of very-limed and specific powers set forth in the Constituion.. Read Article 1, Section 8 USC for a listing of the "legitimate" powers granted by the Constitution to the Federal government. The 10th Amendment formally preserves all other powers and rights to the States and the people.

A distributed government with as much government as possible coming from as local a level as possible.

Did you know that the Constitution as written prohibited the Income Tax, set that the Senate membership was appointed by the State governments, and only the House elected by the people.

The reason for this was to prevent from developing, the centralized monster of a massive, immune and unresponsive government that we see festering, like a cancer, in Washington DC.

People object to the amount and number of laws, yes, but far more importantly, that they are federal laws, regulations, bribes etc. We have lost the Republic form of government and will soon lose freedom, except, perhaps, for the barracks freedom of a kept minion.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:57 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
I see the Strawman is awake and well. Another credibility-deprived poster
How is that a strawman? It's a valid argument.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:05 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
I can't think of any freedoms that have been taken away from me. Oh wait, I can't buy pot from a store, however I'm still able to get it. That's about it.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
How is that a strawman? It's a valid argument.
You don't even know what a strawman is, do you.

A strawman is a presentation of a false position supposedly held by your opponent, which is then easy to defeat in debate.

You asserted that people want no laws whatsoever, which nobody asserts. You made that up yourself in the CLASSIC Strawman manner. Sign of a very weak and uninformed debator. Tactic of last resort, so to speak.
Hopefully, you can do better.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I can't think of any freedoms that have been taken away from me. Oh wait, I can't buy pot from a store, however I'm still able to get it. That's about it.
You can't buy Health Insurance across state lines, which restricts competiton and jacks up the price of Health Insurance tremendously.

You can't purchase certain types of small arms, or must undergo a delay. Many people can't even collect rainwater off of their roof (as is done on the Big Island, in Hawaii) because the EPA says they are interfering with waterway. If you are a farmer in the San Joaquin Valley, in CA, you can't get water to sustain your crops because of a transplanted fish from S. America - the list goes on and on.

I must add, that your near-total ignorance of these and a multitude of other freedom-losses doesn't mean they don't exists - it just means you are woefully uninformed. Unfortunately, that ignorance doesn't stop you from spouting off as if you actually knew something.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:35 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
You can't buy Health Insurance across state lines, which restricts competiton and jacks up the price of Health Insurance tremendously.

You can't purchase certain types of small arms, or must undergo a delay. Many people can't even collect rainwater off of their roof (as is done on the Big Island, in Hawaii) because the EPA says they are interfering with waterway. If you are a farmer in the San Joaquin Valley, in CA, you can't get water to sustain your crops because of a transplanted fish from S. America - the list goes on and on.

I must add, that your near-total ignorance of these and a multitude of other freedom-losses doesn't mean they don't exists - it just means you are woefully uninformed. Unfortunately, that ignorance doesn't stop you from spouting off as if you actually knew something.
I can collect rainwater, it's called using a rain barrel or planting a rain garden. I don't need guns yet if I did, I could buy one. I have health insurance.

I was not replying to one of your posts yet you felt the need to respond to mine & ended it in a condescending arrogant manner. Kindly stop.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:38 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
[quote=Compression;42391987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

Sorry to break it to you, Boss.

But in 1963, it was Albert S. Herlong, Jr, (D) that entered what you call nonsense into the record. But that was my father's democratic party, before it was co opted by the communists.

Useful idiot, much?

CN.......
Put in at the request of a conservative Newspaper owner. Yes he was a southern Dem. in 1963.Today they are called Conservative Republicans.

You see the Current GOP is not my fathers GOP it has been co-opted by fascists.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Can't rep you again or I would.

No, it is you who can't see what is right in front of you because of your paranoia about how the government is coming for your gunz.
A childish characterization of a worthy debate opponent. Sad you have nothing of substance to offer.

I am very close to the gov't via family members in several agencies, and believe you me, you have no clue. For example, why are non-military, non-LEO federal agencies all starting their own SWAT (or Special Response) teams. Even the Dept of Education (who educates nobody) has one.

You are so blind that you can't so much as glimpse that sliding of the US to the "normal" state of affairs with humanity where people are mere chattel of the state. Utterly blind to it. We are backsliding, seriously so. Government is getting bigger (hugely so), more Centralized (massively so), and your freedom is shrinking bit-by-bit. Understand human nature and the effect that power has on the ruling class. The "us vs them" mindset in government is huge and oppressive, and grows every day.

Your Alarm Clock just went off. The question is, did you hear it, or just hit "Snooze". I suspect the latter. Enjoy your Barracks-Freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies