Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I've pretty much ignored this thread until now so forgive me that in my boredom I interject myself into it at this late date because perhaps I am missing something...

The assignment sheet for the exercise clearly states that what they were copying was the Shahada, "the Islamic statement of faith, so to claim that the students "had no idea what it said" seems to be way off the mark.
Unless that was explained to them beforehand by the teacher then, no, most probably didn't know what that actually meant.

Remember this was in a geography class, not a world religion class so how deep into Islam did the teacher go ?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
I've pretty much ignored this thread until now so forgive me that in my boredom I interject myself into it at this late date because perhaps I am missing something...

The assignment sheet for the exercise clearly states that what they were copying was the Shahada, "the Islamic statement of faith, so to claim that the students "had no idea what it said" seems to be way off the mark.
Not to go off topic......read post 309 with no disrespect to the poster it's very clear this is not a Biblical God. No, the students did not know what they were writing, it was revealed after the class.

No one can rightful say the writing had to do with a God covering Islam and Christianity......after reading what Islam believes versus Christianity.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:06 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Not to go off topic......read post 309
Do I have too???

I'll be right back.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:33 PM

Ok, I'm back now where were we... oh yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Unless that was explained to them beforehand by the teacher then, no, most probably didn't know what that actually meant.
As I stated before, what is right there at the topic of the exercise.

Quote:
Remember this was in a geography class, not a world religion class so how deep into Islam did the teacher go ?
How deep does one have to go to explain "profession of faith?"

Quote:
Not to go off topic......read post 309 with no disrespect to the poster it's very clear this is not a Biblical God.
This is off topic but a topic that puzzles me as one who doesn't have a dog in this fight. All three, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam trace their origins to Abraham. Whether you like your younger cousin in God or not, Islam traces its roots to the prophet Abraham and through all of the Biblical prophets up to and including Jesus. To argue that the god of Muslims is not the god of Christians and Jews is nothing more than on family member disowning another. If you are going to do that you need to sit in shiva.

Quote:
No, the students did not know what they were writing, it was revealed after the class.
Its right there on the assignment! "Here is the shahada, the Islamic statement of faith, written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy."

Quote:
No one can rightful say the writing had to do with a God covering Islam and Christianity......after reading what Islam believes versus Christianity.
Oh for goodness sake is that what this is all about, arguing over who owns god? Nothing personal but you people of Abraham have been fighting over the ownership of god for far too long.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:

Oh for goodness sake is that what this is all about, arguing over who owns god? Nothing personal but you people of Abraham have been fighting over the ownership of god for far too long.

Hence the problem with organized religion they all feel the need to be THE one. Sadly they won't stop it's a on going war. You would think at some point they would be happy with whatever version they choose to believe. Guess not.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:58 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I actually never claimed this, I do have my reservations and questions......but many of us also don't believe God is Allah. This is what the writing was claiming.

Schools really have no right to claim who God is. Talking about religion is one thing, claiming who God IS, is another. Having a writing lesson without mentioning who God IS, is really not that hard.
Okay. I was basing that on your statement: "God is very clear in the Bible about who He IS to be called".

Old 12-24-2015, 01:05 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Just to put one thing in perspective here -- and this is not in response to the overall thread in all its many aspects -- if you are one who thinks the school is trying to convert kids to Islam, just consider the following:

This thread has been going on so long now that I have forgotten whether this is a middle or high school, but I'm assuming they have a teaching staff of 60-100. It's unlikely there's a single Muslim on the teaching staff. A slight possibility there are 1 or 2...maybe. So thinking that an overwhelmingly Christian/agnostic/atheist/Jewish teaching staff is going to try to convert kids to become Muslim is just a bit ludicrous.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're describing the mother who kvetched about a Kindergarten class going to see Santa. But of course, she's not a Christian, so all is fine with her and her little snowflake.
Yeah that mother was ridiculous too. But most of these stories seem to be Christian parents complaining about something else. Sorry for generalizing but Christians are the most prominent religious group in the US, especially in smaller town areas and outside of cities, so it's likely that if a parent will be complaining about something like this, he or she will be a Christian. That's not to say that anyone else cannot also go cry about ridiculous things to the media.

Plot twist: I am a Roman Catholic. I am also a rather conservative (on some issues) Republican. So I'm not trying to be rude or controversial or political I'm just telling it like I personally see it.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Plot twist: I am a Roman Catholic.
Well that explains everything!
"I can say with a fair amount of certainty that all popes that have ever pontificated are in hell now.

I do not say this with any sense of glee or happiness. The real fact of hell and people there who had the chance to accept Jesus, but didn’t, and are now in eternal torment, saddens me to the point of tears.

But I said what I said bluntly because I want to cut through the “political correctness” to penetrate the mind of those who give sway to any kind of notion that Catholicism is a true faith. It is not."
The End Time: Catholicism is not a Christian religion

Old 12-24-2015, 10:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
What's your point? ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies