Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 06:19 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
As for the writing assignment - the Arabic calligraphy - I understood it was presented as challenging assignment to copy the graphical elements. Difficult because (I assume) the students didn't know Arabic, didn't know the characters, the diacritics, the markers for vowels, etc. The intent was show the stylized script, to inspire some appreciation for the esthetics of the writing itself. I hesitate to call it a writing assignment - because I don't know that anyone fluent in Arabic would be able to read the students' attempts @ copying the text. I don't think so - the one example looks pretty far off - but we'd have to show the attempts to fluent Arabic speakers to know for sure. & learning to write the text wasn't the intent - there's not nearly enough time to master the written characters (especially a non-Roman alphabet), the markers, & the mechanics of Arabic). I'm assuming that this was a survey course, with the calligraphy exercise as a sidelight, & Arabic as a language not the main focus.

Interesting comment. This was geography class. What you are saying could possibly (but remotely) applicable to an art class but not here. An earlier post pointed out the VA teaching standards and arab calligraphy wasn't one of those standards.

El Nox

Old 12-20-2015, 07:13 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
I think most religions "worship" the same God. How their scriptures are interpreted is what creates disparity.
In God We Trust. Our lands were developed under Christian principles and should stay that way.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:00 PM

335 posts, read 325,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I think most religions "worship" the same God. How their scriptures are interpreted is what creates disparity.
In God We Trust. Our lands were developed under Christian principles and should stay that way.
I'm not going to engage in a existence of God debate, but rather lets look at a few of the highlights of Mohammed's resume:
Had eleven wives at one time. Sexually abused his wives. Raped his wives. Forced sex during their menstruation including Baby Aisha. Mentally abused his wives. Can you imagine taking a child (or any aged woman) and molesting with your hand/fist her menstruating vagina?
Beheaded his enemies. 600/900 Jewish men at one massacre. Had Jewish boys as young as 13 years old beheaded after pulling down their pants and inspecting groin for pubic hair.
Ordered the murder, torture, terrorization of Christians and Jews if they did not convert to Islam. Forced Christians and Jews from Saudi Arabia (the mass exile).
Assassinated people for insulting him or Islam. Established totalitarian rule. Had followers and their families burnt alive in their homes for missing prayer.
Ordered the extermination, torture and terrorization of kafirs. Instigated 60 massacres and personally participated in 27 of them.
Owned and sold slaves. Enslaved women and children.
Called his black slaves pug noses and compared them to Satan.
Treated his black slaves as beasts of burden.
Lied and cheated. Mohammed encouraged his men to lie to deceive someone in order to get what he wanted.
Caused division and hatred. Ordered no befriending with Christians and Jews.
Subjugated and oppressed Muslim women. Required them to cover their faces.
Married his daughter–in–law.
Approved prostitution.
Encouraged the rape of women in front of their husbands.
Recommended wife beating. Hit his wife – Baby Aisha.
Murdered prisoners of war. Committed acts of terror.
Advocated suicide attacks.
Executed apostates and homosexuals.
Beat children who didn’t pray. Abolished adoption.
Honor killings of Muslim women and children.
Beat alcoholics. Lied.
Stoned adulators to death. Stoned a woman to death after she had given birth.
Ordered thief’s hands/feet chopped off.
Tortured a man out of greed.
Looted and plundered.
Preached hate for people of other religions.
Extorted money from other religions
Forced conversions to Islam
Allowed his companions to execute, behead, rape and enslave.

Now, tell me, does this in anyway, shape or form resemble the teachings and acts of Christ????

Old 12-20-2015, 08:38 PM

50,844 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
I'm not going to engage in a existence of God debate, but rather lets look at a few of the highlights of Mohammed's resume:
Had eleven wives at one time. Sexually abused his wives. Raped his wives. Forced sex during their menstruation including Baby Aisha. Mentally abused his wives. Can you imagine taking a child (or any aged woman) and molesting with your hand/fist her menstruating vagina?
Beheaded his enemies. 600/900 Jewish men at one massacre. Had Jewish boys as young as 13 years old beheaded after pulling down their pants and inspecting groin for pubic hair.
Ordered the murder, torture, terrorization of Christians and Jews if they did not convert to Islam. Forced Christians and Jews from Saudi Arabia (the mass exile).
Assassinated people for insulting him or Islam. Established totalitarian rule. Had followers and their families burnt alive in their homes for missing prayer.
Ordered the extermination, torture and terrorization of kafirs. Instigated 60 massacres and personally participated in 27 of them.
Owned and sold slaves. Enslaved women and children.
Called his black slaves pug noses and compared them to Satan.
Treated his black slaves as beasts of burden.
Lied and cheated. Mohammed encouraged his men to lie to deceive someone in order to get what he wanted.
Caused division and hatred. Ordered no befriending with Christians and Jews.
Subjugated and oppressed Muslim women. Required them to cover their faces.
Married his daughter–in–law.
Approved prostitution.
Encouraged the rape of women in front of their husbands.
Recommended wife beating. Hit his wife – Baby Aisha.
Murdered prisoners of war. Committed acts of terror.
Advocated suicide attacks.
Executed apostates and homosexuals.
Beat children who didn’t pray. Abolished adoption.
Honor killings of Muslim women and children.
Beat alcoholics. Lied.
Stoned adulators to death. Stoned a woman to death after she had given birth.
Ordered thief’s hands/feet chopped off.
Tortured a man out of greed.
Looted and plundered.
Preached hate for people of other religions.
Extorted money from other religions
Forced conversions to Islam
Allowed his companions to execute, behead, rape and enslave.

Now, tell me, does this in anyway, shape or form resemble the teachings and acts of Christ????
No, it doesn't.
But shall we go back to the Old Testament and talk about some of the atrocities there?

Old 12-20-2015, 08:43 PM

335 posts, read 325,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, it doesn't.
But shall we go back to the Old Testament and talk about some of the atrocities there?
Hey, I'm an atheist and libertarian. Point being that I failed to make clear is if you're going to teach Islam, I hope my post is part of the lesson plan.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, it doesn't.
Christ and Christianity is the New Testament, not Old Testament.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default They name is Peter, & upon ...

Originally Posted by phetaroi
No, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Christ and Christianity is the New Testament, not Old Testament.
Yah. Except that Christ & Christianity & the New Testament's claim to validity is that Jesus is the Messiah, & so foretold in the OT. Thus the long exhaustive tracing of Jesus' line, to make clear that He is of David's line, & so on. The NT is forever echoing the OT, quoting bits & pieces. chapter & verse. So Christianity's relationship to the OT can't be discarded lightly - if you throw out the whole foundational structure, then what sustains the claim to fulfilment of the Scriptures?

Most of Judaism seems to regard Jesus as @ best, a minor prophet.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 PM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't.

Yah. Except that Christ & Christianity & the New Testament's claim to validity is that Jesus is the Messiah, & so foretold in the OT. Thus the long exhaustive tracing of Jesus' line, to make clear that He is of David's line, & so on. The NT is forever echoing the OT, quoting bits & pieces. chapter & verse. So Christianity's relationship to the OT can't be discarded lightly - if you throw out the whole foundational structure, then what sustains the claim to fulfilment of the Scriptures?

Jesus explained that the OT guys got Him all wrong.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't.

-

I'm not but Christianity is not part of the OT.

Jesus was a pacifist. And that is the NT, not the OT. That's when Christianity started.

That poster was trying to equate the violence from the OT to Jesus and christianity.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:32 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default Basic questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
-

I'm not but Christianity is not part of the OT.

Jesus was a pacifist. And that is the NT, not the OT. That's when Christianity started.

That poster was trying to equate the violence from the OT to Jesus and christianity.
Sure it is. Jesus was Jewish, most of the Apostles were Jewish. Jesus went into the Temple, talked about the Scriptures (the OT), quotes from the Scriptures, debated theological issues with the priests. Jesus' manner of reasoning is Jewish. Jesus - TMK - set out to create a religious movement within Judaism. It was only after Judaism largely refused to go along that Jesus & the Apostles turn to the gentiles. & 200 years later, more or less, the distinctions between Judaism & the new movement are sufficient to call it Christianity. But the family markers are still there.

& if the OT is not important to Christianity, why do Bibles include it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies