Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 01:55 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,740,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Funny, Allah, Yaweh, God - everyone talking about the same entity. Now if the had said Zeus' I would be pissed.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:54 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Read this from the Washington Post...

"A teacher at the district’s Riverheads High near Staunton, Va., gave an assignment asking students to try their hand at calligraphy by copying a statement in Arabic. Kimberly Herndon posted a photo of the worksheet given to her son, a student in the class, to her Facebook page.

Under the heading “practicing calligraphy,” the worksheet says: “Here is the shahada, the Islamic statement of faith, written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy.”

The statement of faith translates to: “There is no god but Allah. Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

Augusta County Schools Superintendent Eric Bond said in a news release that the students were never asked to translate the phrase, written in Arabic, nor were they instructed to recite it or “adopt it as a personal belief.” He pointed out that students will do similar calligraphy exercises in units on China."...

Seriously, why would anyone with any measure of civilized intellect have any problem with this assignment? I would be fascinated by the complexity of Arabic calligraphy, and as for the statement of faith, it's pretty common knowledge that Muslims believed that Mohammad was the last true prophet. Kids don't need to believe or agree with the statement, but they need to know that's what the Muslims believe. So what's the big deal?

These kids also practice Chinese calligraphy....so is that a Chinese communist brainwashing conspiracy too? Ridiculous.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:18 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Funny, Allah, Yaweh, God - everyone talking about the same entity. Now if the had said Zeus' I would be pissed.
Says you. There are many people who don't accept that Allah and God are the same, and many, many more who reject that Muhammad is the messenger of God if Allah and God are the same entity. Probably a discussion more suited to the Religion forum.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:33 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Read this from the Washington Post...

"A teacher at the district’s Riverheads High near Staunton, Va., gave an assignment asking students to try their hand at calligraphy by copying a statement in Arabic. Kimberly Herndon posted a photo of the worksheet given to her son, a student in the class, to her Facebook page.

Under the heading “practicing calligraphy,” the worksheet says: “Here is the shahada, the Islamic statement of faith, written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy.”

The statement of faith translates to: “There is no god but Allah. Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

Augusta County Schools Superintendent Eric Bond said in a news release that the students were never asked to translate the phrase, written in Arabic, nor were they instructed to recite it or “adopt it as a personal belief.” He pointed out that students will do similar calligraphy exercises in units on China."...

Seriously, why would anyone with any measure of civilized intellect have any problem with this assignment? I would be fascinated by the complexity of Arabic calligraphy, and as for the statement of faith, it's pretty common knowledge that Muslims believed that Mohammad was the last true prophet. Kids don't need to believe or agree with the statement, but they need to know that's what the Muslims believe. So what's the big deal?

These kids also practice Chinese calligraphy....so is that a Chinese communist brainwashing conspiracy too? Ridiculous.
Great post. The reason is that Islam is the current boogie man for Republican Christians. They are so paranoid, thanks to Conservative politicians and talk show hosts, that all you have to do is mention the word Islam or Muslim and they panic. To think that writing something in Arabic will Indoctrinate the precious children and yet they allow their children to be indoctrinated into their church.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:50 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
Here is another article on this from the NY Daily News for those of you who call the Daily Mail a rag and pretend this misbehavior by school officials never happened.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2468683

Old 12-18-2015, 04:53 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
Quote:
Where is the outrage? Why is this not reported in the US media?

Riverheads High School practice calligraphy by writing 'There is no god but Allah' | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post

If they had said Zeus I would be happy. The children should not be taught to worship a pervert who married a six year old.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:57 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Great post. The reason is that Islam is the current boogie man for Republican Christians. They are so paranoid, thanks to Conservative politicians and talk show hosts, that all you have to do is mention the word Islam or Muslim and they panic. To think that writing something in Arabic will Indoctrinate the precious children and yet they allow their children to be indoctrinated into their church.
I'm not a Republican or a Christian, nor a member of any damn religion for that matter. The Arabic script didn't read 'It's a beautiful day' or 'Watch Rover run'. It had a religious content - not indirect either - at a time when assertive aggressive Islam is on the rise in the world. Storm in a teacup? Sure, there are bigger axes to grind, but not inconsequential either.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:47 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default Call the question

Quote:
Here is another article on this from the NY Daily News for those of you who call the Daily Mail a rag and pretend this misbehavior by school officials never happened.

Virginia community wants teacher fired for lesson on Islam - NY Daily News
Yah, read the article @ the URL. What misbehavior by school officials are we talking about, because I didn't see any mention of any such in the article?

Old 12-18-2015, 06:09 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well aren't you just so dramatic! Just let me clap my hands for a full minute!

And I would like to give you the clap too.

Quote:
So let's see, it's not a primary or secondary source since it comes from a teacher made workbook...well, perhaps a secondary source, although that's stretching the definition of secondary source, and we would not have considered it so in our school when we were evaluating teacher lesson plans.

Thank you for identifying the point I was making in my original post.

Quote:
I guess that sort of leaves an artifact, but at least that's within the same group of materials and skills the teacher can choose from since it seems to "analyze the...cultural landscapes". At least, if I were the erring teacher, that's the defense I would propose.

Hmmm ... writing on a page is now considered an 'artifact'? BTW this 'artifact' happens to be an Islamic Pillar of Faith.

Thank you for admitting that the teacher erred. And the stupidity of that defense parallels the defense in another topic where the guy accidentally tripped and fell on the naked girl which is why he penetrated her.

Quote:
So I can assume (and there's nothing wrong with the word assume, since I have no proof of her thinking) that that is what the teacher was drawing from in constructing her lesson...OR...she didn't understand the curriculum...OR...she was intentionally not following the curriculum.

Yet again you confirm my original post.

Quote:
And I stand on my nose-holding view of your cliche.

I suggest that you don't hold your nose too long. After all, you repeatedly made my point.

Merry Christmas.

El Nox

Old 12-18-2015, 06:34 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,740,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Says you. There are many people who don't accept that Allah and God are the same, and many, many more who reject that Muhammad is the messenger of God if Allah and God are the same entity. Probably a discussion more suited to the Religion forum.
This whole thread belongs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies