Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 06:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I did look. It looks difficult, as I've said many times. I saw the picture.

So they're writing Arabic. What a sin! Kids in my high school wrote in Japanese in their classes, Mandarin, and other languages for certain assignments. It's a world geography class. They learn about the world and its cultures. Geography in high school is usually more than "here's a country and its capital, okay moving on." They learn about the world, including different cultures, including religion and language.

This was no attempt to convert. Anyone who thinks it was is paranoid. I guess now VA will have to change its education standards for this curriculum due to the outcry, since this was defended by the district as following the guidelines set by the state...
No need to go extreme. I was just correcting you.

Calligraphy can be learned with the English language or any language if you intend to have a lesson in calligraphy.

But this was a lesson in Islam and it was Arabic.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times
"Jesus Christ Is Lord" uttered on any public school campus would get a teacher fired for sure no doubt.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No need to go extreme. I was just correcting you.

Calligraphy can be learned with the English language or any language if you intend to have a lesson in calligraphy.

But this was a lesson in Islam and it was Arabic.
I was talking generally, not just to you, because many people have an issue with this whole assignment. Sorry if you thought I was getting sarcastic with you. I know it's Arabic but many have been calling it calligraphy, even some articles on it.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:17 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,530 times
Quote:
What is the point in learning that calligraphy anyway? It looks extremely difficult and unless one is a Muslim, there's no real purpose to learning it. There's learning about the major world religions, then there's having students write anything in the language or any otherwise special written word. Are the kids also writing in Hebrew and learning to read and write right to left? I don't see why learning about religion has to...?
I can't say for certain what this particular teacher's goal was, but my middle schooler's assignment this week is to design his own tomb and describe a bit about himself using hieroglyphs for their unit on ancient Egypt. I believe they also had a similar writing style when they covered the Sumerians and Assyrians during their unit on Mesopotamia. It seems to me the assignments are meant to teach them a bit about the development of different writing systems in human history and to make the material fun and engaging.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I was talking generally, not just to you, because many people have an issue with this whole assignment. Sorry if you thought I was getting sarcastic with you. I know it's Arabic but many have been calling it calligraphy, even some articles on it.
Tells you how much those journalists didn't even know or bother to research before they wrote that article.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the exact phrase you have to say to convert to Islam.

So yeah....that's a bit disturbing. I wouldn't be okay with anyone trying to trick others into converting to any religion.
....because saying (or actually, writing) a phrase that they don't really understand and certainly don't believe will then "magically" convert them against their will? Total B.S. - just because you say some words or mumble an incantation doesn't turn you into a Jew or a Muslim or a Hindu, or a Buddhist! Unless you BELIEVE, it means nothing.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I can't say for certain what this particular teacher's goal was, but my middle schooler's assignment this week is to design his own tomb and describe a bit about himself using hieroglyphs for their unit on ancient Egypt. I believe they also had a similar writing style when they covered the Sumerians and Assyrians during their unit on Mesopotamia. It seems to me the assignments are meant to teach them a bit about the development of different writing systems in human history and to make the material fun and engaging.
This is all part and parcel of getting away from just reading and rote memorization and straight essay writing.
It's called "interactive learning" with projects like you mentioned and such.

It's goal is to provide a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:36 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default It's all Greek to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That phrase was written in Arabic. They were practicing writing Arabic.

Calligraphy is nothing more than decorative handwriting.
That can be done in the English language.

What they were asked to do is to copy the Shahada, written in Arabic.

Look at the screenshot of the worksheet in the OP link.
Yah, except that the students weren't practicing writing - practicing implies that they're going to actually learn to write Arabic - which wasn't the point of the exercise. I assume the students were treating the target as a picture to copy as best they could - if they could read the bits & letters & vowel indicators & etc. of Arabic, their work would have looked a lot more like the target. They were trying to reproduce or copy a stylized version of Arabic, used for ornamental purposes to render important text, often religious. Everyday Arabic would be much easier to copy, as far as I know. I believe the point of the exercise was to show the intricacy of the written language, without reference to the content.

Sure, calligraphy can be done in English, very pretty. & if the course gets to Medieval England, I'm sure they'll include a sample of English calligraphy, replete with archaic vocabulary, spelling, punctuation & grammar. But since they were studying Islam, they were presumably studying someplace where Islam is predominant - the Middle East, @ a guess. Old English will just have to wait its turn.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:18 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah, except that the students weren't practicing writing - practicing implies that they're going to actually learn to write Arabic - which wasn't the point of the exercise. I assume the students were treating the target as a picture to copy as best they could - if they could read the bits & letters & vowel indicators & etc. of Arabic, their work would have looked a lot more like the target. They were trying to reproduce or copy a stylized version of Arabic, used for ornamental purposes to render important text, often religious. Everyday Arabic would be much easier to copy, as far as I know. I believe the point of the exercise was to show the intricacy of the written language, without reference to the content.

Sure, calligraphy can be done in English, very pretty. & if the course gets to Medieval England, I'm sure they'll include a sample of English calligraphy, replete with archaic vocabulary, spelling, punctuation & grammar. But since they were studying Islam, they were presumably studying someplace where Islam is predominant - the Middle East, @ a guess. Old English will just have to wait its turn.
A smart person would still check to see what it means. Otherwise it's not much different from idiots who get Chinese character tattoos without knowing what they mean.

It certainly does not indicate any sensitivity to Muslims not to know what Islam text they're handling...or what the kids might have "said" if they get the calligraphy wrong.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
This is completely false.
stark contrast
Allah allows and promotes lies ,

God of heaven commits all liars to judgment hell .
Jesus 600 years before Mohamid, proclaimed that "Satan is a liar and the father of it."
There are many other contrasts to Allah, and God of heaven.
With the satan worship that goes on among the elite ,it is no surprise they go along with the muslim.
Not everyone interprets God in the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies