Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 05:00 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
That's OK, the commercial aspect of Christmas mostly seems to be a handy bottom-line kinda deal pressed forward by Coca-Cola & other noted charitable organizations in the West. Certainly I don't recall any Biblical justification for celebrating the birth of Christ on Saturnalia - that was just a convenient hook to hang the thing from, TMK - there was already feasting & carousing & drinking to stupor going on, so why not append yet another reason?

I'm sure that the people who have looked into these questions are vastly amused by the whole spectacle. (Although I do tire of all the Christmas-themed TV specials that are out there. There are only a handful that I think are worth watching - but I will admit to a fondness for Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol - quite touching, even as a musical, given the limitations of the medium.)
Actually, Coca- Cola is known as a very charitable corp. Sorry Comrade

Old 12-17-2015, 05:05 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think anyone graduating high school should have a basic understanding of all major world religions. Rather or not you agree with them we need to know what things the other 95% of humanity believe. The main thing is giving a balanced account of each religion. Don't leave out the bad stuff.
I think anyone graduating H.S. should at least be able to read and write above a 9th grade level, but that is not happening either.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:06 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
So you're saying the teacher is an undercover Muslim?
Either that, or she has no idea what she's having them write.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Look again @ the URL in the OP - it was a high school, 9th grade.

& no, from what I can see, the teacher wasn't teaching Islam directly; she was teaching about Islam, the tradition of burqa, an appreciation of the script used for calligraphy.
oops..sorry. There's another thread about a 7th grade class and Islam..that's over in the education forum. I confused the two.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Tomorrow's lesson they'll learn to write "Scientology is super fun amazing happy time!" in WingDings.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
How could one person trick another into converting to a religion? Religion is all about faith--belief in something unseen. A person isn't converted by saying a magic incantation.
ya, one would think, right?

That's what I've never understood about forced religious conversions through history. You can't force someone to actually believe something if they don't already. Sure you can force them to publicly follow and declare a religion, but it's meaningless horse and pony show if their soul isn't into it.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
How could one person trick another into converting to a religion? Religion is all about faith--belief in something unseen. A person isn't converted by saying a magic incantation.
This.

Even IF this teacher is actually attempting to convert the kids, that doesn't mean it's going to magically work and all kids in the class will suddenly be Muslims.

And there is a lot more to conversion than writing some calligraphy in school for a day.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:22 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default Red Coke, Tovaritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Actually, Coca- Cola is known as a very charitable corp. Sorry Comrade
Of course, I was being facetious. But didn't Coca-Cola start out as a patent medicine? That's what I recall - & one - if not the - active ingredient was laudanum? Hmm, get your buzz on with Coke! I always wondered where that came from.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

"Originally intended as a patent medicine when it was invented in the late 19th century by John Pemberton, Coca-Cola was bought out by businessman Asa Griggs Candler, whose marketing tactics led Coke to its dominance of the world soft-drink market throughout the 20th century. The name refers to two of its original ingredients: kola nuts, a source of caffeine, and coca leaves."

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

There you are - good to see that the little gray cells are still ticking over, @ least.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This.

Even IF this teacher is actually attempting to convert the kids, that doesn't mean it's going to magically work and all kids in the class will suddenly be Muslims.

And there is a lot more to conversion than writing some calligraphy in school for a day.
That phrase was written in Arabic. They were practicing writing Arabic.

Calligraphy is nothing more than decorative handwriting.
That can be done in the English language.

What they were asked to do is to copy the Shahada, written in Arabic.

Look at the screenshot of the worksheet in the OP link.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That phrase was written in Arabic. They were practicing writing Arabic.

Calligraphy is nothing more than decorative handwriting.
That can be done in the English language.

What they were asked to do is to copy the Shahada, written in Arabic.

Look at the screenshot of the worksheet in the OP link.
I did look. It looks difficult, as I've said many times. I saw the picture.

So they're writing Arabic. What a sin! Kids in my high school wrote in Japanese in their classes, Mandarin, and other languages for certain assignments. It's a world geography class. They learn about the world and its cultures. Geography in high school is usually more than "here's a country and its capital, okay moving on." They learn about the world, including different cultures, including religion and language.

This was no attempt to convert. Anyone who thinks it was is paranoid. I guess now VA will have to change its education standards for this curriculum due to the outcry, since this was defended by the district as following the guidelines set by the state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies